• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

G4 Attacks Skyward Sword.

C

caleb89sw

Here are some statements made by G4's Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb recently concerning Skyward Sword.

Adam Sessler: Zelda. I think it is curious. Of course I'm going to play it, but it's not drawing up that same level of enthusiasm that a Zelda game usually would.

Morgan Webb: *Yawns* Okay, I think basically what it is is that you show Zelda and then right after that we showed Uncharted, and just the difference in graphics and just adult nature of Uncharted...the graphics were beautiful.

Adam Sessler: And the evolution of gameplay...it doesn't feel like we've really graduated from what we experienced in Ocarina of Time.

Morgan Webb: And how great would a Zelda game be on a modern console with modern graphics. We're never going to see that.

You know, I was bothered by their comments that the Mario Galaxy games were childish, I was disturbed that they would insinuate that BioWare develop a Zelda game because "Nintendo waters down their RPGs", and I was absolutely disgusted by their review of "Metroid: Other M", and this really isn't helping. Their ignorance is staggering. Not only the fact that they feel Zelda's gameplay hasn't evolved since OoT, but that we'll never see a HD Zelda game, when that's exactly what we saw at E3. It's so sad that this is what passes for video game journalism these days...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
This is just a stupid, opinionated review that I honestly wouldn't pay any attention to. They're just dissing Nintendo, mistaking it to be childish, when they're actually being family-friendly. I'd prefer that over a "modern" console with any day.

Ha noone cares about g4. They might as well change the name of that channel to COPS and some other nonsense.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would honestly not give this any attention. Most people who have watched a few episodes of Attack of the Show can tell you that complaining and nitpicking about everything they see is all that they do. The are commentators on a show and are supposed to be accepted as professional critics. And as such they need to come off as critical and over analyze every little aspect. But at the same time they need viewers and have to be "cool" when they do it.

I cannot think of the number of times I have seen Adam and Morgan complain endlessly about repetitiveness in games and how each level is too similar. As if every game was to revolutionize the industry yet again with each individual level. And every new area was actually supposed to be a new and fresh experience unlike any other. Anyway it was enough that I no longer consider their opinions as anything special, they are entertainers and have to come off as edgy and exciting. It is incredibly rare that I see them like anything so I accept most of what they say as a part of the job. There might not be much opinion, good or bad, in it at all.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
They're just arrogant, it seems that now-a-days a game needs to have great graphics in order for it to be playable. It bugs me, how people can be so critical over graphics, I mean, its the same thing with how violent a game is. Look at Gears of War, Mortal Kombat, and other games like that, yeah, they're fun games, but all people wanna see is bloodshed, and good graphics.

Last edited:

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Feh! All I heard was "graphics". Don't they do their research?? They practically only mentioned that the graphics would look better on a modern console. Tell me, why do games (for graphic trolls) have to be good looking on a modern console? I'm tired of grainy, realistic looking graphics, and having SS's bright, fantasy-like graphics is like going back to what Zelda is. And they don't think SS hasn't evolved enough from OoT??? That was years ago, and this game has so many new implements, it's going to be great!!

So overall, to sum it up, they're just judging a book by its cover. They haven't picked it up and looked inside to see the details. >:C

Last edited:
They've lost quite a few points with me for this, but I won't let it get to me. I haven't played a Zelda game I didn't like, and I think Skyward Sword could very well be the best Zelda game yet. (in my opinion)

such a shallow analysis, any 14 yo Halo fan would come up with the exact same arguments. Now, who is childish?

OoT gameplay is way deeper than their beloved Uncharted, who hasn't introduced anything new to start with.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well, I think that their reviews are based upon a certain mentality. And I think that mentality is not compatible with that of people who really enjoy the Zelda series. There are probably a lot of people out there who see video games the way they do, but those people wouldn't play Zelda in the first place.

In my opinion, I think it was simply a waste of time for people like them to even bother reviewing a Zelda game, as little as they care for the series. It's clear that their analysis skims over things that are important to most Zelda fans, and emphasizes fairly trivial things. They're using a critical technique that really applies more to PC games and first-person shooters, and just doesn't work with console games of other genres. In other words, I don't hate them for this, I just think they don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Zelda.

If anything will be wrong with SS, it will be that it changed too much. Not too little. But I don't even think that will be the case after seeing some recent footage and hearing some commentary from those who've used the Wii Motion+.

Last edited:
Billy Ninja, I am a 16 year old hard-core Halo fan from the beginning and I highly disagree with what they're saying. I've been a Zelda fan for the majority of my life and I think that SS's graphics are the best graphics I have ever seen... period. So yes, I agree with you about Zelda's gameplay, but I don't think that your assumption about Halo fans is true... just sayin. I just felt compelled to share that. No hard feelings;)

P

Pesky Octorok

Ya making a new Zelda game is all about balance. Nintendo has to keep each new game fresh while still keeping core parts of it. Its a lot more challenging to create a
Zelda game then it is to make a game such as Call of Duty yet Nintendo almost always comes through and delivers a game that is a hundred times better than anything
Activision could make

vcdomith

Mad Artist
These guys over G4 and IGN, are totally brainwashed for these same FPS-blodshed-realistic games for PS3 and XBOX360, every modern Halo and Call of Duty have gained total score, while zeldas gains 80% because is childish and unrealistic, also I don't blame the reviewers, and yes, these chief directors that think that something not 18+ is totally made for childs.
And maybe they think that Link's real name is Zelda:P...

:mad: G4 can go die in a hole. (The following is my OPINION.)

First Comment:
Zelda. I think it is curious. Of course I'm going to play it, but it's not drawing up that same level of enthusiasm that a Zelda game usually would.
Does it really look like Skyward Sword is generating less hype than previous console Zelda games, especially now that we know that this is a prequel to the critically acclaimed Ocarina of Time?

Second Comment:
*Yawns* Okay, I think basically what it is is that you show Zelda and then right after that we showed Uncharted, and just the difference in graphics and just adult nature of Uncharted...the graphics were beautiful.
Well, you're just going to have to suck it up and live with it until the Wii U comes out. Then you can have your precious graphics.

Third Comment:
And the evolution of gameplay...it doesn't feel like we've really graduated from what we experienced in Ocarina of Time.
The only real sidequest in Ocarina of Time was the Biggoron's Sword Trading Sequence. Now we have a treasure hunting sidequest similar to Spirit Tracks, where you can upgrade weapons and such. Or you can create entirely new items from scratch. That's just one. I'm sure there will be plenty more like it for you to enjoy.

Fourth Comment:
And how great would a Zelda game be on a modern console with modern graphics. We're never going to see that.
By the looks of it, you're not very resourceful. Might I suggest you looking up the Wii U, the new Nintendo console that has been known to exist for almost 5 months and will support full 1080p picture quality?

I want to say a million more things, but I would get a million infractions if I did.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom