• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Future Zelda games took inspiration from the cartoon?

I think future Zelda games may have possibly taken some inspiration from the animated series

Sing for the Unicorn featured a cool girl ninja-forerunner of the Shiekah?

Kiss n Tell-had an old lady emerging from the wall and this may be a bit of a stretch but perhaps ALBW's painting mechanic?

A Missing Link-Ganon zapped Link with a magic spell and took his body but left his spirit who turned out to be useful. A reverse of what happened to Zelda in Spirit Tracks?

Sprite is sarcastic and I know she's supposed to be a representation of the fairies you find sometimes but she kinda reminds me of Tatl.

These are just my theories and observations and maybe I'm just pulling em outta my *** but if you've noticed any similarities between the cartoon and later games I'd love to hear em :)

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
That's possible, but I'd suggest mentioning Zelda Wand of Gamelon and Link the Faces of Evil which according to the developers took direct inspiration from the DIC cartoon since there was little material to work with at the time.

Additionally as Farore knows, you have to include Legend of Zelda Match Game and Legend of Zelda Trivia Game since they exist because of the cartoon.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
That's possible, but I'd suggest mentioning Zelda Wand of Gamelon and Link the Faces of Evil which according to the developers took direct inspiration from the DIC cartoon since there was little material to work with at the time.

Additionally as Farore knows, you have to include Legend of Zelda Match Game and Legend of Zelda Trivia Game since they exist because of the cartoon.

I know a lot of people are going to hate me because of this comment, but I hope Nintendo recognizes the old cartoons and CD-I titles (if only by parody alone). I'm not necessarily saying they ought to remake the games... but HH should have noted them nonetheless. Zelda played a big part of my younger gaming years, their is a culture associated with the retro style of the series which has only been resurfaced in the last 10 years or so. It will probably never happen but I can humor some aspects were reintroduced. I've actually had the liberty of playing through all three CD-I titles, and they are horrible mainly because of the control scheme. But still, the games themselves are amusing with how bad the cut scenes are. lol

Djinn

and Tonic
The cartoon at the very least gave a decent explanation for Link carrying an arsenal of weapons and items on him without being overloaded. Cartoon Link had that bag that shrank everything placed into it. I'm not sure Nintendo even tried explaining it outside of handwaved game mechanics as usual.

Other than that, the cartoon in a way did divide the worlds between upper world of normal life with humans and an underworld where all the monsters came from ruled by Ganon. Instead of monsters coming from both like in the game. I suppose this could be considered a precursor to the dark world of the series where Ganon ruled and most monsters originated.

And I am pretty sure the triforce talking happened in the cartoon first as well. I think the only other time this happened in the series was at the end of ALTTP though.

Outside of that the cartoon was a pretty generic vanilla fantasy series that just so happened to have some similar names and a lot of the game sound effects tossed in. Not a lot to work with tbh that one could not already say came from somewhere else first.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
The cartoon at the very least gave a decent explanation for Link carrying an arsenal of weapons and items on him without being overloaded. Cartoon Link had that bag that shrank everything placed into it. I'm not sure Nintendo even tried explaining it outside of handwaved game mechanics as usual.

Yeah, I always liked the hat idea for carrying items. I almost thought Nintendo was going to humor it when TMC was an upcoming game, but eh...
Although, technically Link shrinking physically also included items being carried...

Other than that, the cartoon in a way did divide the worlds between upper world of normal life with humans and an underworld where all the monsters came from ruled by Ganon. Instead of monsters coming from both like in the game. I suppose this could be considered a precursor to the dark world of the series where Ganon ruled and most monsters originated.

Outside of the original LoZ, I don't think the 'underworld' is used directly. I'd be interested to see what the Japanese translation referred to it as, a 'makai' (region ruled by a demon king) in the same way other titles talk about Ganon's Dark World/Realm.

And I am pretty sure the triforce talking happened in the cartoon first as well. I think the only other time this happened in the series was at the end of ALTTP though.

OoS/OoA's Triforce did this from the beginning. I always wondered what that was all about, but you make a fair point.

Last edited:

Aku

I know a lot of people are going to hate me because of this comment, but I hope Nintendo recognizes the old cartoons and CD-I titles (if only by parody alone). I'm not necessarily saying they ought to remake the games... but HH should have noted them nonetheless. Zelda played a big part of my younger gaming years, their is a culture associated with the retro style of the series which has only been resurfaced in the last 10 years or so. It will probably never happen but I can humor some aspects were reintroduced. I've actually had the liberty of playing through all three CD-I titles, and they are horrible mainly because of the control scheme. But still, the games themselves are amusing with how bad the cut scenes are. lol
I won't hate you for it, as I agree with you. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one who is a fan of the cartoon (in fact it's my most favorite Zelda besides TLoZ and AoL) and often wished that it didn't only end up with one season. (I've heard that there were going to be more seasons before the cancellation, and I wish I could find out what the other episodes would have been about.) Maybe they should give it a mention, after all, the cartoon and the CD-I games are just as part of Zelda history as any other. That would be boss, and maybe they'd stop being the black sheep of the family.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor

- Important to understand CD-I Zelda's are not bad games, but their quality is just generally below almost every other game.

- Nintendo mostly ignores these games for illegal reasons since I think Phillips owns their engine. Almost like Metal Gear on the GameCube.

- I wish HH would at least include Hyrule Warriors, Link's Crossbow Training, and all four Tingle Zelda games.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
On the subject of the CD-i games, I'd actually like to see Nintendo make a series of games done in a similar style to the first two. Obviously, it should have better gameplay, better controls and better story. And, the cinematics should be high quality anime.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
- Important to understand CD-I Zelda's are not bad games, but their quality is just generally below almost every other game.

- Nintendo mostly ignores these games for illegal reasons since I think Phillips owns their engine. Almost like Metal Gear on the GameCube.

- I wish HH would at least include Hyrule Warriors, Link's Crossbow Training, and all four Tingle Zelda games.
It's kind of hard to put the HW in the HH since HW wasn't even an idea when it was made.... Furthermore, it won't be part of the Zelda timeline as well. The developers confirmed that HW takes place in its own alternate timeline.
None of those games are canon as well, they are just spinoffs.
Now that said, I definitely would love it if they had a little Easter egg where someone says Excuuuuse Me Princess!

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
It's kind of hard to put the HW in the HH since HW wasn't even an idea when it was made.... Furthermore, it won't be part of the Zelda timeline as well. The developers confirmed that HW takes place in its own alternate timeline.

Of course Hyrule Warriors isn't part of Hyrule Historia. Just like A Link Between Worlds wasn't included, because to my knowledge you can't update paper copies of a book people already own. Yet A Link Between Worlds is still generally considered part of the main canon.

When describing Hyrule Warriors' placement I wouldn't exactly phrase it as "alternate timeline" but instead Mr. Aonuma, said, "The universe of Hyrule Warriors really is sort of a different universe and it is connected to the timeline of the Zelda series, but it is connected to several different games throughout the series."

None of those games are canon as well, they are just spinoffs.

I know, but the main point was simply expressing how I wish they were.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ule-warriors-place-in-the-zelda-timeline.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom