• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Future Console Zeldas: More or Less Items?

More items with less uses, or less items with more uses?

• Mo' items, mo' fun!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Zelda games are known for quite a few things, but one of the main draws that make this game so enticing is the opportunity to play with some of the coolest gizmos and gadgets in any story ever told. Some of these tools would even make James Bond envious.

But do you think it's getting out of hand? In the early days of Zelda, we were introduced to only a few gadgets per adventure, but we always had uses for them. Nowadays, (Twilight Princess in particular) we're given an arsenal of weapons to use at our whim, but with some of them seem to lose their usefulness after a short way into the story. For instance, did anyone else ever go back to using the slingshot once they got the Hero's Bow? Were the underwater bombs and wall-climbing bombs worth the extra cash for those few and rare instances you needed them? Was the Dominion Rod worth keeping around if it only aided you through the Temple of Time and moving those owl statues? And sure the Spinner was fun, but did it serve any aid to you other than a select few puzzles? Do you know if it could even be used in battle? Did you even try? Yea, me neither.

Now, it seems to me that Nintendo wasn't even trying to give multiple uses to some of these gadgets. Some of these items like the Dominion Rod could have easily been given purpose in battle, but they weren't. Why? I'm not sure, but if that's what's going to happen to some gizmos in the "items-a-plenty" Zelda games, are they worth even having?

So, I ask you, is it worth having all the cool gadgets just for the sake of having an artillery in your pocket? Or would you prefer to go back to the old days where we were only given about a dozen weapons, but got the opportunity to use them constantly?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
You can use the spinner in battle. It doesn't do much damage but it's fun surfing on a giant kog into enemies.

R

Renan

You know what they say, the more the merrier! And more items means more dungeons which means longer game which means MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Here is how i see it. You can either have 5 or 6 dungeons that each have one item in them with multiple uses throughout the game, or you can 5 or 6 dungeons that each have an item in them that you only use for those dungeons, but on top of that you find items outside of dungeons with multiple uses. I see no problem with giving us the useless items as long as the very useful items are still around. It's like getting more for your money. You use the boomerang, Bow, Hammer etc.. a lot and those are items are still around so what does it matter if they give us useless items as long as the items we love are still there?

I think it is kind of hard expect them to gives items that you'll use through all the game. While I understand the frustration about it, I don't see it as a big problem.

Maybe the "bow" could be considered an 'upgrade' of the slingshot, but I still rather to have the slingshot around and not losing it because of the Bow. From that point, going back to the items you got first is completely up to you.

Back to the slingshot example, I already got the bow, but I still use the slingshot in Twilight Princess, I like the curve trajectory and it is ideal for middle ranged enemies.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
As I´ve mentioned somewhere before, I would do fine with just a sword. That´s the only "really" important item/weapon for me. But even if that is my opinion I voted for more items. I like to try out some new weapons and items and I like "new" things. I am happy whenever I "find" an item that I´ve never tried before, variation is actually good sometimes :)

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I don't mind the addition of items beyond what we've been given before, but having tonnes of them in your inventory when they are relatively useless isn't that great.

I think if an item replaced a previous one in terms of quality, then they can remove the older one from my inventory. The Slingshot / Bow is a perfect example of this. I know some people use the slingshot afterwards, but I thought it essentially wasn't needed anymore.

Maybe they could introduce a new item in a dungeon, but you leave it in the dungeon when you're done. You'd have your standard arsenal that you could bring with you, but there would be dungeon specific items that would remain when you leave. The spinner would be one of these items. Other than the Arbiter's Grounds, the other uses for it seemed tacked on to make it seem useful. It was great to use it in the City in the Sky, and a few places in Hyrule Field, but really, it wasn't too needed.

At least the way they set up the TP menu of items was smart, so it wasn't hard to pick out items you wanted to use. It also felt great to have this collection of items at your disposal, but either give them more use, or just don't bother with them.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
That depends on what you mean when you say items. Do you mean Equipable items, or just those regular items. I think I liked that Tp had a lot of items. I'd like to continue seeing more items. As you said in the thread; the more the merrier.

Zarom

The King
I enjoy it when there are lots of items of all kinds. I always LOVED items. In MM, there was LOTS of masks and in WW, LOTS of charts. But I like it too when we re-use some of items in the game. So, I think there should be more items, but not too many. :bottle: :boomerang: :bow: :bomb: :bottle: :boomerang: :bow: :bomb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom