• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Funny or Memorable IM or Shoutbox Conversations.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Interesting conversation about the future of monogamy, overpopulation, curing death, and invading Vietnam...again!

Repentance
You were talking about futurists saying we could conceivably solve the problem of death in our lifetimes? Or did I misread it.

Batman
Yeah. It's no longer a fringe idea anymore. With the coming revolution of GNR (genetics, nanotechnology, and robotics) the human genome could potentially be manipulated at will, organs will be really cheap and easy to grow, and we'll start to augment ourselves with robotic enhancements. Death could become a thing of the past.

Repentance
Hmm

Batman
We've already been able to identify the cause of aging and it seems very changeable. We just lack the technology atm to do much about it.

Repentance
There is an obvious fear of overpopulation, but assuming we surpass that, my fear on the social end is a complete destruction of monogamous relationships. I am a romantic lol
Although after 1000 years of living like that you'd get used to it

Batman
Overpopulation won't be a problem anymore if access to food and water also augments with the technology. People would be living longer but the planet would no longer be under stress to support us considering technology's ability to grow food and resources in abundance.
And lol, I'm sure monogamy will always be around. It might lose the popularity contest, but it'll always be around.

Repentance
Monogamy will be around but if we live for 1000 years
No marriage will last more than 100 years

Batman
Oh, right. I see what you mean.

Repentance
I don't like breaking up haha but as I said I'm sure we'd get used to it.
However, couldn't overpopulation conceivably still become an issue? Wouldn't the
population go up exponentially? When we have 10 trillion humans walking around, well...That's a problem.
Even if we have the resources.

Batman
Overpopulation is an issue because the Earth can't naturally grow/produce enough vital resources to support so many people. Space isn't the issue. The Earth can support untold billions of people. But it's food, and access to vital resources that matters. Nanotechnology, gene manipulation, and abundant energy sources (like fusion) should cure these issues as they grow to allow us to be immortal.
And if we're eventually talking about trillions and trillions of people, by then we'd be able to live on other bodies.
Terraforming and such.

Repentance
I suppose by the time space actually becomes an issue, we will have almost certainly colonized another planet.

Batman
Right

Repentance
Wow! What a great idea for a dystopian novel. Humans have all become immortal and the population is now so high that there is not enough space, but we have not successfully colonized planets quick enough to support humans.
So they have to start killing them off or choosing who lives and dies
Obviously needs reworking but it would be an interesting idea
People barely have space to move around and such

Batman
Also, we can't forget about space stations. Huge orbitals and colonies in orbit in space.
We could eventually inhabit planets, moons, space stations, and so on.

Repentance
Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced I will be immortal.

Batman
I'm not either.
I have my serious doubts about when immortality can be possible.
But who knows.
I'm hoping it's in my life time

Repentance
I am certainly open to the possibility of our generation being alive for much much longer than the people dying now

Batman
Yeah, I'm convinced that's going to happen.

Repentance
I can't see myself dying from age related issues at 90.

Batman
Yeah

Repentance
How much older we will be is completely impossible to predict atm. I'd be happy with 120 lol

Batman
It really all depends on when x, y, and z are possible. When will we be able to master the genome and stop the aging process of DNA? When will we be able to grow abundant replacement organs? When will we be able to alter our biology with synthetic technology?

Batman
Ray Kurzweil and his group claim that it's literally going to happen in the next few decades. That a huge boom is getting ready to happen.
Others say it'll take a hundred years or more.

Repentance
Let's stop thinking about all of that ****. Now for more important discussion, what country should we liberate in 2015?
Go back to Vietnam?

Batman
One day I could imagine when we are able to upload our minds into computers and be truly immortal.

Repentance
murrica is great

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The HOT
I guess being a cheeto is a good excuse for eating your babies
it ain't easy being cheesy

Guys, post in this thread more.

Okay, so... the stupid BoWoB thing kept flashing and it was driving me up the wall, so I click it and am greeted with this:

[sub]Stitch
I'm a vegetarian...

Cassandra
EW
EW
WHY
WHY ARE YOU A VEGETARIAN
WHY
WHAAA

Stitch
WHY ARE YOU GEI

Cassandra
THAT IS IRRELEVANT

Deku Shroom
pwnd

Stitch
MY VEGETARIANISM IS IRRELEVANT
[/sub]

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
BoWoB said:
Zorth
Firice da Vinci, you need to be more involved
with the forums
you are event staff for cying out loud

Viral Maze join

Firice da Vinci
I just became event staff an hour or two ago.

Zorth
no, it is Yeah! now
like is gone

Peachy
xD

Zorth
deal with it

Mellow Ezlo
xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Zorth
guys srsly
xd ?
xJ is the new thang
it is lewd
lel

Peachy
I will X your J

I didn't expect to get a hater so fast. I feel so honored. xJ

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
[sub]Mellow Ezlo
JJ's probably busy squirting things with his little Juicie J anyway[/sub]

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
This was too funny not to post and too stupid too :P
[03:12:50] Angel of Darkness: chat box won't open for me. I only see the archives
[03:15:51] Therius: Strange...
[03:16:32] Angel of Darkness: when I click on view chatbox full I only see the names who are currently active in the chatbox
[03:17:26] Therius: Well for starters, you aren't on the banned list. :P
[03:17:35] Jimmy F: Hmm
[03:17:41] Jimmy F: Try another theme maybe?
[03:17:45] Angel of Darkness: (whew)
[03:17:53] Angel of Darkness: Well it worked for me all this time until now
[03:18:44] Jimmy F: Yeah, it's odd
[03:18:51] JC ©: Was it just saying "loading"?
[03:18:59] JC ©: Because it's done that to me once or twice
[03:19:36] Angel of Darkness: Got it......it is working now. It will help if you click the Arrow and make the box appear (facepalm)(rofl)
[03:20:08] Therius: I wondered...but the details didn't match up.
[03:21:03] Jimmy F: Lol
[03:21:48] Angel of Darkness: Great start of the Monday morning :P
[04:31:54] JC ©: Lol Vee ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom