• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Funniest Zelda Game to Date?

One of the things that struck me the most while playing Skyward Sword and really stuck out to me is how funny the game is. Like it's seriously making me re-evaluate my thoughts on how important humor is in the Zelda series, because even though I thought Zelda games needed humor, I think Skyward Sword kinda showed me how much they can excel because of it. I found just talking to characters consistently funny.

The people of Skyloft were hilarious in general, all their quirks and interactions. I think a large portion of why this is, and indeed why it is in other parts of the game, is because of the high-quality dialogue. Everything the characters say is exceptionally well-written. I was surprised that my first visit to the Bazaar, which I thought was going to be a purely utilitarian shopping center area, was actually freaking hilarious, because all the merchants are so wacky and laugh out loud funny.

Bokoblins were also hilarious, with their noises and animations, and so were all the different races. Just so odd and funny to talk to, from the adorable, scared Kikwis, to the snotty Ancient Robots, to the "hip" Mogmas (seriously, they were designed so they acted hip and cool all the time, with how they talked), and the Parella, who acted like you were the weird, strange creature. Just funny all the time.

What do you guys think? Was Skyward Sword funny for you? What're your favorite funny moments, and do you think humor in Zelda is important at all?

zeldusfanaticus

im the puppet master
i was defininitly impressed by the amount of humor in the game. it seemed like every character had some quirk that compleely took you away from the main objective. i thought that ghirahim was actually the most comical character, the scene where he was talking about his arms had me and my friends laughing very hard. i also enjoyed the repeated jabs about groose's hair.

however there was one character that really pissed me off, the Fun Fun island guy. his d*mn little laugh when you lose his game, it really got to me

When I started the game I found some funny bits in it immediatly (Zelda's bird in Link's face, spits out the letter on his face).
and who espcially made me laugh, was the man in the Bazar with the items (bombs etc.). I didnt notice it at first but when you look at him, he's all happy en smiling and when you turn away he hangs his head and walks away disappointed. :lol:

G

GuruGuru

I agree with the Bazaar guy (apparantly his name is Rupin?), his face is even funnier if you change your mind about buying something :D .

N

nitzan

yes. it is probably the funniest zelda game to date.
I laughed so hard when I destroyed the lumpy pumpkin to get a heart piece.
and Bucha is the greatest character to ever grace the zelda series in my opinion.

There are many funny things, like when we get the wrong Dowsing read for Zelda in the Faron Woods, so, yes, maybe. But it is certainly the best.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SS wasn't funny to me, except for dramatized moments like the Item Check Girl. I actually found the Mogmas to be badass what with how they acted and all that, being a Mogma would be pretty cool, and I can't forget about Groose and his moments. Everytime he made a comment about the Surface or something down there (Grooseland, Groosenator, Legend of Groose, etc.), I just had to laugh. Nintendo needs to make another Groose for Zelda Wii U & 3DS.

I don't think humor is quite as important as something like the gameplay, but it does outclass the story by far. I'd take a bunch of funny, useless characters as far as the plot goes over someone like Zelda (SS), Impa (SS) or Demise.

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
I played skyward sword with my sister, and honestly, there were so many times that we laughed. It is a really funny game!!! I have never seen this much humor in a zelda game and i love it!

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
I think Skyward Sword had the most humor in it out of all the Zelda games so far, and yes, it was funny. I think one of the things that mainly stuck out to me was the fact how Ghirahim always acted like things was such a tragedy and how he acted as is he we're in a dramatic play and whatnot. I really do think that Zelda needs humor and it is a huge part of it.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Hmmmmm, I would have to narrow it down to "Toon Link's" adventures (WW, PH, ST). If I had to choose the most comical out of the three I would have to say Wind Waker!

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I think the humor's always been important, but I guess that has more to do with the fact that I can see the funny side to many things... things like Castle Town's Malo Mart in Twilight Princess were funny to me in a trippy-wtf kind of way. lol

When I started the game I found some funny bits in it immediatly (Zelda's bird in Link's face, spits out the letter on his face).
and who espcially made me laugh, was the man in the Bazar with the items (bombs etc.). I didnt notice it at first but when you look at him, he's all happy en smiling and when you turn away he hangs his head and walks away disappointed. :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that and kinda started to feel bad whenever I walked away, but there was also the fact that the store guy creeped me out with that unnatural smile... I mean, call me cynic, but I seriously can't imagine a person who doesn't hide anything smiling that much. Looking at it other way, maybe he just didn't have many customers, which I guess is the logical explanation I'd have to stick with. (ok, I guess I just went a bit off-topic)

Eitherway, yeah, it's details like that hidden all around the place that made the start interesting. Even Link wasn't taken that serious, people mentioned all the time how he wasn't exactly a piece of work and Zelda always bringing up how lazy he was (even in a scene later in the game that I'm sure many people found sad/touching, that made the humor much more natural if you ask me).

I agree with the Bazaar guy (apparantly his name is Rupin?), his face is even funnier if you change your mind about buying something :D .

Random and possibly Off-Topic Comment: I thought he was gonna pull a knife on me when I saw that face. xD

I think Skyward Sword had the most humor in it out of all the Zelda games so far, and yes, it was funny. I think one of the things that mainly stuck out to me was the fact how Ghirahim always acted like things was such a tragedy and how he acted as is he we're in a dramatic play and whatnot. I really do think that Zelda needs humor and it is a huge part of it.

You know, this brings me to the same point as the cutscene I mentioned in which Zelda brought up Link's laziness: How they try to blend the humor into parts that would usually be far more serious. Villains like Ghirahim are usually more psychotic from what I've seen, and aspects like his drama-queen attitude are more presented like quirks when looking at it. Just in case: I'm not arguing, it's just that it came to mind when I saw you mentioned it.

Last edited:
I think links awakening is the funniest game to me. It is the most lighthearted and dosn't take itself too seriously. It has a few mario characters and is just a very goofy funny game.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
I love all the humor in Skyward Sword. Sometimes even the word choices they give you are funny. I was talking to Groose at the beginning of the game, and do you guys remember how one of the choices for a response is "Nice hair." when he's bugging you? XD I laughed when I saw that. Even Fi has made me laugh occasionally. When you first discover the Kikwi's, and one of your responses when talking to Fi about the Kikwi's is "Zelda?!" and Fi's just like, "Uh, no. There's a 0% probability that this creature is Zelda." hahahahah.

Oh yes, this cracks me up every time. The look of disappointment on his face is priceless when you turn around and walk away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom