• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Frozen in Time- Should NPC's Do More?

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
Perhaps this isn't my most in depth article, though I do hope it sparks some discussion. My next one will likely be better ("Would Hyrule Be Better Off Without Link?)... Anyways, enjoy.
“…But then...just as all hope had died, a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere….”
-Wind Waker Opening
Regardless of when and how, when Link is called upon to seal away the dark forces that plague Hyrule and stop the dark wizard Ganon from claiming the sacred Triforce, we automatically assume that he will be carrying the weight of saving the world alone. It is not even entirely a conscious knowledge, as, by now, we are used to the fact that the various people who dwell in Hyrule are utterly helpless on a level that many may call “pathetic”. Save for the occasional chanting (or chiming) fairy or strange imp child with an impressive voiceover, we almost always know that Link will be grinding through Dungeons and facing great beasts unassisted. Yes, there are exceptions, but the ratio of “self functioning to helpless” in Hyrule, or wherever Link may be, is often overruled by the latter. When a lady begs us to retrieve her lost Cuccos, or Zelda is kidnapped, we know no one but us will be able to aid them in their predicament. Even so, this is a series staple. The Zelda series grants us a sort of uniqueness that no other series can provide. It places a burden upon our shoulders- to save the world- and also the option to help other people in their day to day life. When we are met with that hopefully not so familiar “Game Over” screen, we are compelled to immediately take up our quest once more and resume our travels. The NPC’s in the world of Zelda are, yes, quite helpless, but also the perfect mechanic to pull us into many sidequests, increasing both gameplay value and depth to the world. I could easily argue that it was the apparent “weakness” of the characters in the world is what ultimately made Majora’s Mask so great. It is because of this that I will point out, helpless NPCs are not always a bad thing. It increases both the amount of entertainment we derive from the game itself and the knowledge that only we are the chosen ones to save the land. After all, what would be the point of playing if Tingle had sealed away Ganon in the end of Wind Waker.
Despite all this, there are rare examples of seemingly helpless NPCs stepping up to confront evil head on. Such attempts are scarce in the series, often moving, yet many go entirely unnoticed. For those who have played Oracle of Ages (I’ve only played the first half hour or so), such an act was performed by the man known as Ralph. Throughout the game, he acts in an overconfident manner, dismissing Link as unnecessary as soon as he appears before Nayru in the game’s beginning. It is this mannerism that causes his character to be viewed as distasteful, perhaps on the same level as Gary Oak would be in the Pokemon series- not an “enemy”, but disliked nonetheless. However, despite whatever views we may have had for him, Ralph proved himself more than capable of handling himself. When Nayru was possessed by one of the game’s lead villains, Veran, Ralph stepped beyond the bounds of what countless NPC’s would have done and drew forth his sword, prepared to defend the Oracle. Now ask yourself, how many supporting Zelda characters have done that? Even after his attempt to defend her failed (essential to the plot, of course), he rushed off to retrieve her from the Dark Sorceress’s possession. Perhaps he’s not our favorite character in the Zelda series, but he deserves our (if only a slight amount) respect.
Perhaps another overlooked example is Link’s Uncle in A Link to the Past. We must bear in mind that it was he, not Link, who first rushed off to Zelda’s rescue. Though his attempt failed, this small role makes him memorable for more than “the weird man with the moustache who gave us our sword”. What of Kafei, who, rather than spending his final three days moping, took aided Link in infiltrating Sakon’s hideout in a direct defiance to the possessed Skull Kid’s motives? Who could forget the guard of Hyrule who perished in a final attempt to prevent Ganondorf from escaping Castle Town, perhaps paying the ultimate price to buy Princess Zelda enough time to give Link the Ocarina of Time? Yes, even Twilight Princess had characters who stepped out to resist the powers of Evil. The Resistance movement was essential to Links eventual victory over Ganondorf, assisting in the end by fighting (or rather, blowing up) a hoard of the Dark Lord’s servants (though I was quite sure that I could have fought them off easily enough- there weren’t that many). They also left us wondering- why couldn’t they have used that bazooka earlier in the game?
Yes, there are definite examples of those who defy the stereotypical mold of helpless NPC’s in Zelda. Now, imagine of Nintendo took it a step further. Suppose there was a game where it was not Link, but another character who delivered the final blow to Ganon? It would certainly be a twist in the series’ staple atmosphere of solitude. Suppose characters began fighting for themselves, helping Link in dungeons, or even, dare I say, capturing their own chickens.
I am of the group of Zelda fans who, though want some originality to each game, does not want terribly dramatic changes too series staples. Perhaps there will be more characters like Ralph, the Resistance, or Link’s Uncle. The series certainly seems to be heading in that direction. Even in Spirit Tracks, Alfonso stepped up to defend Princess Zelda, crossing blades with Byrne, and instantly gaining my respect to an otherwise unnoticed character. I am in no way saying that helpless NPC’s should be taken away, but rather to add more of those who are willing to fight for Hyrule. I would love to see a massive battle of Zoras, Gorons, Hylians, and Deku against a mob of Moblins. Perhaps we will get to see a large scale battle of the sort, if ever the War of Imprisonment is featured in a game. Would it feel like Zelda? It is hard to tell. As of now, I feel this series staple is relatively balanced, but I must ask- How do you feel about the present NPC use in Zelda? Do you think there should be less/more? Do you feel that having more “heroes” would take away from the feeling of the “chosen hero”?
Perhaps, one day, chicken breeders will be far more self supporting, and essential to the completion of the game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Wow, this is an incredible post...

I have to say, I would love to have more characters like Alfonzo in the series. It makes me feel like Link isn't alone. That there are others who care for Hyrule enough to do something about it. Even if there are still those who can't find there own chickens.

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
It makes me feel like Link isn't alone.

You pointed out sometihing that I had forgotten in the article- the feeling that sometimes Link's deeds go slightly too unnoticed- as in many NPC's don't even acknowledge the fact that he just defeated the dragon that was terrorizing their children. It certainly does make you feel isolated, especially with few allies. However, there is a flip side to it, as many people are quite grateful to him.

Either way, I thank you for reading through the wall of text. :D

Djinn

and Tonic
I have noticed and pointed out in the past how Link appears to be the only proactive individual roaming around Hyrule. And that for the most part no one else in the game outside of the very few he personally rescues really notice that he did anything at all. I even wondered if the people of Kakariko in ALTTP even knew that they were seconds away from being conquered by Ganon and that the King had been removed and Zelda kidnapped. In most games they just seem to move on with their ho hum lives conveniently unaware that they are seconds away from being eaten by Gohma or trampled by Dodongos. Even when there are people that are on your side like the resistance in TP, they do little else than hang out in Telma's bar and talk about how miserable things are and how someone needs to change that.

When I think about it, I don't believe anyone on Windfall knew the events of WW were even taking place. Only that this helpful kid in green would sometimes sail up to buy some bombs and fix the windmill. It was almost like the adventure itself was a secret mission for Link alone. Perhaps this lack of any real care or understanding of the world around them is a large reason why they are essentially sheep that require a mythical hero to save them every so often. And when there is no hero to come and rescue them, such as the time Hyrule was conquered by Ganondorf for seven years in OoT or when he returned in the story of WW, they can do nothing about it.

Last edited:

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
I couldn't help but laugh at the wording of the above- so very true. I agree that (having just completed a "complete" [redundency!] run of ALttP), Kakariko Village was in a state of total stasis. Throughout the course of the game, very little changes in dialogue took place, despite the dramatic changes in events. They know that Link "kidnapped" Princess Zelda, implying that they know of some current events (however inaccurate), just not the ones that would seem the most blatently obvious, such as the murder of a sage that lives in the Sanctuary down the road. Your second paragraph brought forth a very good point- Perhaps, if the people did not cower at the thought of their own world and took steps to, say, actually train their army, then perhaps Ganon wouldn't be capable of taking over Hyrule, rendering the need for a "Hero of Legend" to be useless. If this were true, then that would create a motive to keep the NPCs as useless as hammered turtles for the creators- keep Ganon coming for future games.

Ganondork

goo
When I think about it, I don't believe anyone on Windfall knew the events of WW were even taking place.

A lot of these characters are far too absorbed in their own problems. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. Who cares if Kakiriko Village is inches away from death? At least they had a day or two to worry about how their chickens ran off conveniently 3 yards away. I liked Ralph actually. To a point where I yelled at my gameboy, "No you fool, that is a crazy woman you're messing with, RUUUUUN!!!" But he didn't receive the message, sadly. The few people who try still can't do much. Maybe stop Link from wandering around aimlessly or losing a few hearts fighting a crap-load of Moblins, but they never have Ganon saying, "Crap, I shoulda ran when I saw that dude, not Link, the guy with the blue sock on his head."

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
When I think about it, I don't believe anyone on Windfall knew the events of WW were even taking place. Only that this helpful kid in green would sometimes sail up to buy some bombs and fix the windmill. It was almost like the adventure itself was a secret mission for Link alone. Perhaps this lack of any real care or understanding of the world around them is a large reason why they are essentially sheep that require a mythical hero to save them every so often. And when there is no hero to come and rescue them, such as the time Hyrule was conquered by Ganondorf for seven years in OoT or when he returned in the story of WW, they can do nothing about it.

While I agree with you, this makes absolutely no sense when you think about it. I mean you'd think at least someone would notice a giant freakin tower rising out of the water about two tiles (maybe a square mile each?) away!

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
Perhaps that's a central theme of the series, though a slightly hidden one. Yes, we all realize the themes of "help people, with or without reward (though, in this case, often with)" or "be selfless", but perhaps another prominent message is "ignorance is on the same level as evil- one cannot exist without the other".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom