• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler From Demise to Ganon

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
It's commonly assumed (and practically given) that Ganondorf is a reincarnation of Demise. Demise's final words, along with the fact that he looks similar to Ganondorf, all but confirm this.

It makes sense that when Demise was reborn as the gerudo Ganondorf, he would go by the name Ganondorf. But after Ganondorf died, his future incarnations went by the name Ganondorf, or Ganon, as well. Why stick with the gerudo name? Why not revert to his true name, Demise?

Any thoughts?

octorok74

TETTAC
Luckily Hyrule Historia hasn't ruined this yet, I think. But, I don't think Ganondorf is a reincarnation of Demise. And Ganondorf is the name for the human form. When in beast form, it is Ganon.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Well, I could go with the obvious answer: the character Demise wasn't around until recently. But I'll be serious about this.

Reincarnations don't have to have the same name. Ganondorf is probably his Gerudo name, given by Kotake and Koume, his surrogate mothers. Of course they wouldn't know that he was the reincarnation of Demise's hatred.

That's another thing; Ganondorf isn't the reincarnation of Demise himself, just his hatred. Demise very clearly says this in-game, that a reincarnation of his hatred would be reborn. Ganondorf probably knows nothing of his past life, much like the Links usually don't.

That's my take on this.

I don't believe Demise's words are to be taken literally. The demon that is Demise physically perishes at the end of Skyward Sword. What he is referring to rather is that the power of the Triforce shall bind "those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero". This is proven by Ganondorf in The Wind Waker when he desires to make his wish upon the Triforce.

Ganondorf is there not an incarnation of Demise but his own being. Also, I'm pretty sure that with the exception of Ganon in Four Swords Adventure, the same evil being is prevalent throughout the franchise. Unlike Link and Zelda, Ganondorf usually does not die but rather is sealed away (allegedly for eternity but we all know that's never true) or revived by his minions.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Because Ganondorf isn't literally a reincarnation of Demise. He just has Demise's hate inside of him. It manifested itself into him, and it's what causes him to be so evil, why he wants the Triforce (and coveted Hyrule's wind), and why he's always able to come back. Demise himself is perishable. His hate isn't. That's what's living on inside Ganondorf, not the entirety of Demise.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
It makes sense that when Demise was reborn as the gerudo Ganondorf, he would go by the name Ganondorf. But after Ganondorf died, his future incarnations went by the name Ganondorf, or Ganon, as well. Why stick with the gerudo name? Why not revert to his true name, Demise?

Small catch: They share the name because they are not reincarnations, they're all the same Ganondorf. Except maybe the beast form from Four Swords Adventures if it counts, I'm not sure about that one.

Also, like most people above, I don't think Demise is reincarnated into Ganondorf. I think it's his hatred that drives Ganondorf on a rampage after the tough life he had on the dessert. On an off-note, I think Ganondorf could be able to manifest in a similar way, or at least that's what I get from some of GilterBerri's rough translations of Hyrule Historia. It's better to take it with a grain of salt, since the translation itself says it is apparently yet to be double-checked, but I find it interesting how it consistently refers to Ganondorf's presence in the Twilight Realm as his "malice".

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Because the Gerudo are people too, and would you name your first male child in 100 years who is bound to become king a word that translates to death or destruction?

No, I don't think you would

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Demise's residual conciousness was totally destroyed. Ganondorf is his own person and has his own ideas and thoughts. Only the hatred of Demise survived and lived on in Ganondorf which is what stops him from ever being killed. In Hyrule historia it says that it's Ganondorf's hatred and malice which is the flaming head form seen in the twilight realm, even though his body was torn to pieces by the portal his hatred and malice always survive because of the curse of the Demon King Demise.

Ganondorf has a different personality to Demise, he may desire the same goal but he is much more cocky and arrogant, he enjoys the occasional wisecrack at link in OOT. Demise just wants to get the job done, he is a very honourable man, he does not insist upon fighting link and he only wants to take the triforce and rule over the world. Ganondorf seems to enjoy peoples suffering and stole from the women and children, so not really a man of honour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom