• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Friendship

Dan

Recently I was sitting on the park bench watching kids... and adults and old people and animals... yes... I sat there as they played Frisbee with one another, I thought to myself in a few years time this link between them shall fade away, this friendship shall be no more. Which got me thinking about something Jç said when he first joined the forum, "what is friendship" he asked, At the time I made fun of him as to me it was obvious. Friend is often defined as a feeling of bondness with another, but to me that's quite an open ended definition.

What is your definition of friend? It seems many people have different criteria for what truly defines friend. For example some people would called me a friend after only knowing me for a couple of days, for others it can take years before they consider me a friend.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Someone who is there by your sides when you get in **** with the wife or significant other, a real friend is the one who will make up a fake sport just to get you outta chores. A decent friend is just someone who doesn't spill your secrets to the world or use them against you.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think there are lots of types of friendships. Sometimes you can meet someone and instantly know you're gonna be friends, other people friendship won't come for years. What they have in common though, I think, is enjoyment of each others company and latterly, trust.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Someone who cares about me and wants to spend time around me, and doesn't just give up after they realize I'm not very talkative. I just kinda wish people would realize that just because I, and a lot of others, are a little quiet doesn't mean that we hate everyone or something.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
To me, a friend is someone who will support you no matter what. They will stand up for you no matter what. And most importantly, they will love you no matter what. A true friend is someone that loves who you were, who you are, and who you will become. A true friend will also be by your side until the very end.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
friends1.jpg

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
i have tagged this thread in the event i actually make friends.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
Recently I was sitting on the park bench watching kids...

:mellow:

But seriously. It's an interesting question. I don't think there is a definition, depending on how much weight you put into the word. Only my core friends, the ones I know I will still be in contact with in years from now, the ones that I can always rely on no matter what? Or does it also include that guy from the second year that I've spoken to twice, know the name and face of, and always say hi to when he passes by?
I usually make a distinction between core friends, friends and lower friends. Though I all call them friends.

Reactions: Dan

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Like Beauts said there are many kinds of friendship. But often you don't even realize how close a friendship is or was until the person is gone. I had a great friend who used to be my coworker. Our friendship was incredibly strong. She stood by my side through thick and thin. I did the same to her when her son suddenly left for a year and a half and got himself in troubles. She was there for me during all important moments of my life. For almost 11 years we called each other for hours and it only seemed to grow closer. She was there for me when my mom turned for the worst and died, she was there for me when my sister had to undergo surgery for her sex change. She was there through thick and thin. Last feb I lost her forever when she suddenly died. She was a treasure. I don't think I will ever get over her death. I never ever had such a great and deep friendship ever in my life. It left a deep hole inside me and I doubt it will ever be filled.

But that doesn't mean I close myself for other friendships or whatever. I do talk a lot to some people who are always fun and great to talk to and to laugh and share great moments. But it's always different. Every friendship is different and that's the fun part :)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have a lot of acquaintances, people in the peripheral, like friends of friends, people who belong to the same interest groups as me, people I've known a good while but just doesn't have a strong bond with, or people I'm still getting to know. These are people I can enjoy talking to, spend time with, and so forth. However, these are not people I would go into the really deeper conversations with, they aren't people I would lean on when I'm going through a hard time, and while I don't really keep many secrets, they aren't people I would talk about the more hidden parts of me with.

For me friendship is sacred. The people I consider friends are the people I have absolute trust in, they are the people whose opinions I value, the people I strive to keep in my life. Friends are the people you choose to tell the good news to first and they will be excited for you, they are the people you can call at any hour of the night for support and they will drop whatever they are doing to come over. Friends are also the people you can get angry with, can argue with and drive each other up the walls, but still know deep down that you'll be alright. That any argument you have is in the moment and has no real lasting effect.

For me, my closest friends have become like family. Especially two of my friends. One of them is my best friend, who've been with me in thick and thin for over half my life now, we've defined each other as sisters in everything except blood. The other is another friend I've known as long, but sadly only get to see when I come home to see the family as she still lives in my old hometown, however she's very familiar with my family and my close family is very fond of her.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think a friend is something with whom you keep a connection after many years. You can have short-term friends, but they're not really friends. They're pals. Chums. Dear acquaintances. But friends ... you won't know they're friends until later, when everyone else has lost contact with you, but that person is still around. There's nothing wrong with short-term friends. They're good for when you just want to hang out, but real, long-term friends, they'll be with you until the bitter end. And those are incredibly rare.

If friendship can truly be defined by words, I think that it would facilitate the maintenance of relationships by a vast degree. Regardless, there are "friends" who you just hang around with, "friends" who you just think as your friends, or even friends who you just take for granted. The words "friendship" and "friends" are nothing more than just words to me, something to label persons who are intimate to me.

To me, friends are those who would laugh with you, rather than laughing at you. To me, they are the confidants that I can discuss my own problems with, and vice versa.

Reactions: Dan

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I have tiers. Friends are basically just anyone I enjoy taking to/hanging out with. Then there's close friends who are the ones I could hang out with just the two of us. Then there's best friends who are the ones I could sleep in a bed with and not be uncomfortable. They're the ones who I can talk to about anything and do crazy stuff with like explore abandoned military bases or make a pillow fort or set eggs on fire and sling pennies at them with an arm mounted catapult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom