• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Friendly Enemies?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Several new group-centered concepts have arisen in previous Zelda titles, such as TP's band of insurgents in Telma's bar and the Skyloft Academy in Skyward Sword. Looking back at this I began to ponder what could be done to expound on the idea of there being more group involvement in Legend of Zelda. This got me thinking about certain enemies/enemy types being favorable toward Link for an entire game or so.

Of course friendly enemies aren't a new thing to the series. We should all remember the Moblin that had helped Link in Zelda 1, and BowWow the chain-chomp from Link's Awakening, who could be considered a crossover foe from the Mario franchise. Even Batreaux of Skyward Sword repute is a good example of a friendly enemy; yet although he himself is not one, he is the cause for Remlits going crazy and enemies appearing at night. Gratitude Crystals are the means of making him an absolute friendly.

Basically I'm thinking that races who are typically our adversaries should play a bigger role in the story. They could be deserters of Ganon's forces and live in their own peaceful habitation like the Gorons or Zoras of bygone games. The only thing is that they'll be characterized in their own mannerisms, for example having suspicions of Link even though they're reformed from fighting. However, as with any other class, they've been having trouble with their local Dungeon/Temple, and Link naturally steps in to overcome the issue.

So, what do you think of this? How could friendly enemies be introduced in future Zelda games? :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I like your proposal of having enemies-turned-good via some sort of battle, but if they're supposed to be integrated more into the story, I'd rather have the "friendly enemies" simply backstab Link in ways that are either tharbok-like snakelike or in a kind of "epic" way. Say, have a Bulbin race that Link practically slaughtered thousands of (in the name of good, of course), then one of the Bulbins of course befriends Link someway or somehow.

Many adventures into the game (at a pivotal moment made...pivotal and believable), and said Bulbin decides to betray Link in order to "get back at him"...that suspicion turned into animosity which turned into clear-cut actions, for honor or whatever goal the races have in mind. That's my take.

An example conjured to mind is the Gerudo tribe from Four Swords Adventures. While once evil, the desert women realized their folly after Ganon deserted them to obtain power for his own selfish ends. While the sprites appeared to convey a degree of animosity, a once hostile race was friendly towards Link.

The notion of a friendly enemy being suspicions of Link could serve as a central concept in some dungeon. By refusing to trust the hero, the former foe gets him in more trouble and the quest serves as a pivotal point in forging an allegiance. Thereafter, the character could serves as a minigame host or be involved in a sidequest, grateful for Link's prior assistance.

I can't shake the Zelda RTS vibe I'm receiving from this thread. I've always been a proponent of rogue factions and it would make for interesting full scale warfare to see sides switch during a larger conflict.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I love friendly enemies. People who read my stupid fanfiction will find them in some of my stories. In a couple of my fics, I have the "King's Tribe" (the bulbin tribe belonging to King Bulbin) around, fighting either Ganondorf or other bulbins. In one of my one-shots, original LoZ-Link is rescued from one moblin tribe by another band of moblins.

I try to make it interesting. I make my friendly enemies as fighting their own not so friendlies out of either loyalty ("following the strongest side, which they've decided is Link") - or because they've decided they wanted freedom and to revolt against Ganon.

At the same time, I don't make them all goody-goody fluff-bunny, either. They are still monsters with monster-habits, such as eating their own dead because they don't see the dead as anything other than meat that shouldn't go to waste.

Maybe they will have enemy transformation masks which will allow you to transform into Lizalfo-Link or something like that. And you would be a heroic enemy fooling the race of Lizalfos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom