1. Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
    Dismiss Notice

French "Yellow Jacket" Protests

Discussion in 'Mature Discussion' started by A Link In Time, Dec 5, 2018.

1. A Link In Time

A Link In Time Break the Ice! ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊11,957
    If you've been following the news lately, you've heard about the recent protests in France. A lot of people are dissatisfied with the current economic state of France, especially after the recent carbon tax, which pushed that discontent into the realm of protests. Now the French government is backpedaling on implementing more carbon taxation for now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-euro...ng&ns_linkname=news_central&ns_source=twitter

History has taught us that economic protests are the leading cause of governments walking on egg shells and potentially getting overthrown. The French, in particular, have a long history of violent revolutions. These have been the biggest protests in the country since 1968 so we will see how things continue to unfold across the coming days and weeks.

What are your thoughts on these recent protests in France?

Caramel H and Castle like this.
  2. BlackWolf//WhiteAngel

BlackWolf//WhiteAngel When all else fails use fire Forum Volunteer

Rupees:
    ◊2,194
    Now I don't know the details, but from what little I understand France taxes it's citizens HARD, so discontent has been building for a while and the rising fuel costs was the last straw. Cars are expensive, so if you are already losing what little of your income you make to taxes only for fuel costs to rise, that's just asking for trouble. Macron says these high taxes are to combat deficits and climate change, but these things aren't really affecting the day to day lives of French citizens so all they see is their small pool of money becoming smaller for no apparent reason. I believe Macron just doesn't understand how to keep his people happy which is an important aspect of being a leader. His people are paying for something they can't really see or enjoy, so they only grow frustrated with him. I'd personally go with a moderate flat tax for all but the poorest citizens. It would make sense to tax the rich more, but then they will simply complain about it and cut funding to any potential future campaigns. Taxing the lower classes leads to what we see now.
    As I said in the beginning I don't really know France at all, or how to do tax policies, but that's just me thoughts.

Castle likes this.
  3. DarkestLink

DarkestLink Darkest of all Dark Links

Rupees:
    ◊2,542
    Not sure what the hell did they expected to happen when they voted for Macron...

DJ Twitch and Castle like this.
  4. Deus

Deus ~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~ ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊50,220
    The french are required by law to have two high vis jackets in their cars at all times which is why they are wearing yellow coats for these protests.

Yes there is quite a bit of discontent throughout Europe I believe the yellow coat protests are going to be happening in Holland this weekend also to protest for freedom of expression and against open boarders and the current government.

Macron seems to be some kind of globalist poster boy and out of touch with the everyday French people. The fact is that governments force citizens to give up their money in the form of tax and if they are seen to be taking too much and then wasting that money, on things not a priority to the french people discontent will happen and if that discontent grows big enough then there will be protests and riots like we are seeing.

I think even some french police were taking their helmets off to show their support and understanding for the protesters so that's how bad it is over there.

Castle and A Link In Time like this.
  5. Castle

Castle Ch!ld0fV!si0n

Rupees:
    ◊7,463
    This was inevitable. Europe has been headed this way for a long time with no signs of reversing or changing course. European leadership is woefully out of touch as it is here in the US and Canada.

People shouldn't have to resort to screaming, lighting fires and smashing stuff to get the elitist's attention but if that's what it takes...

Sadly, if that fails then murdering to get the elitist's attention is the next natural step.

Deus likes this.
  6. Beauts

Beauts Rock and roll will never die

Rupees:
    ◊4,764
    People are more angry that Macron is u-turning on every single promise he has made. This is bigger than discontent about taxes. The French are the only nation who ever speak up against their government and good for them. The rest of us ***** and moan at home but do nothing. I hope the French people get what they seem to overwhelmingly want, whether I personally agree or not. It’s their country and their right to have it the way they want it.

Please stop throwing every European country in as one. It makes you all look disgustingly ignorant. The things going on in for example, Germany or Greece have absolutely no relation to things going on in for example France or the UK. We’re not a continent which is a “backwards” version of the United States. They have their own languages and own cultures, and their own problems. As Nelson Mandela once said, to paraphrase: “it is wrong to assume that your problems are our problems, and that your enemies are our enemies.”

7. Deus

Deus ~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~ ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊50,220
    A Link In Time likes this.