• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros #FreeMelee

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Here, a thread where we can talk about the #FreeMelee movement without flooding the chat. You already know I support it wholeheartedly. Have your heated debates below.

Waffle Dee

A Waddle Dee who works at Kirby’s Café
Actually, there’s also another.
Recently, for the NintendoVS Splatoon tournament, teams used #FreeMelee as part of their names to show support for the Smash community. Nintendo, in a hateful response, cancelled the live stream because they didn’t want to show the hashtag. Now, they have #FreeMelee and #FreeSplatoon. In response, fans organized their own tournament which raised more than $28000 in a single day, $25k for the price pool (which NintendoVS didn’t have), and the rest for charity.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Technically, it was illegal. Nintendo is doing the right thing to protect their IP in this case, as well as the GilivaSunner videos being taken down and the Etika JoyCons. It's not legal for people to profit off of Nintendo's IP like that. And really, they could have done more. They could have sued. So really, Nintendo is being pretty generous given the circumstances.

However, it's scummy of Nintendo to just burn it down without offering an alternative. They could have collaborated with Big House to have an online Melee tournament, they should upload the MarioKart and Ocarina of Time soundtracks officially, but they didn't. Nintendo doesn't really let people be nostalgic. They're more concerned about money than fanservice, which is a crying shame. If they worried about fanservice more, they would make more money.

But boycotting is just hurting yourself. If all the boycotters would write to Nintendo and explain what you're doing and why, it might get somewhere, but Nintendo doesn't need y'alls money. They have plenty of people who are going to buy Switches and games who don't know or care. All you're really doing is missing out on AoC and Pikmin 3, at least. If you want something to happpen, raise a stink to Ninty. The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Nintendo did nothing wrong here morally. The people running the tournament could have easily done this legally, and Nintendo wouldn’t care. The same goes for the Etika joycons. There is nothing wrong with protecting your IP, and if someone wants to do something like this, they should approach Nintendo first.

I will agree that the music is annoying, but also understandable. I think Nintendo are being jerks about this, but it’s far from enough to make me want to “boycott” them or whatever.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
From a legal standpoint, Nintendo is completely within their rights to protect their IP. No question about that.

From an ethical standpoint, it's much more iffy, IMO. Nintendo has a history of being absurdly overprotective of their IPs, even throwing DMCAs at non-profit fan games just because they could. While they have a right to do what they did, it only serves to reinforce the mindset that they don't care about what their consumers want as an audience. Perception is just as important as the actions themselves in the realm of producer/consumer relations.

Quin

Disaster Master
Project Slippi was a fangame/mod, is this really surprising that DMCA happy nintendo would take it down?
Melee fans are obnoxious as hell (if anything, this whole movement proves just that) so this does nothing for me. same with those splatoon idiots. They were just asking for it.
I'm way more sad that stuff like AM2R get taken down than some competitive melee mod.

Matz

Technically, it was illegal. Nintendo is doing the right thing to protect their IP in this case, as well as the GilivaSunner videos being taken down and the Etika JoyCons. It's not legal for people to profit off of Nintendo's IP like that. And really, they could have done more. They could have sued. So really, Nintendo is being pretty generous given the circumstances.

However, it's scummy of Nintendo to just burn it down without offering an alternative. They could have collaborated with Big House to have an online Melee tournament, they should upload the MarioKart and Ocarina of Time soundtracks officially, but they didn't. Nintendo doesn't really let people be nostalgic. They're more concerned about money than fanservice, which is a crying shame. If they worried about fanservice more, they would make more money.

But boycotting is just hurting yourself. If all the boycotters would write to Nintendo and explain what you're doing and why, it might get somewhere, but Nintendo doesn't need y'alls money. They have plenty of people who are going to buy Switches and games who don't know or care. All you're really doing is missing out on AoC and Pikmin 3, at least. If you want something to happpen, raise a stink to Ninty. The squeaky wheel gets oiled.
First off, GilvaSunner was NOT profiting off Nintendo’s IPs. I don’t know if you live under a rock or what, but if you knew what was really happening you’d know all money went for charity. Is helping people harmful? No. And Nintendo was not generous at all, they were as stupid as you by thinking they were illegally profiting off their IPs.

Second, I agree with that. Nintendo takes down music videos but doesn’t publish their soundtracks. Only a few select games have had their soundtracks published. I’ll touch the Melee thing later on.

People were not boycotting, they were protesting against their scummy business practices. And the last thing, you must know that Nintendo doesn’t give a **** about people protesting.
Project Slippi was a fangame/mod, is this really surprising that DMCA happy nintendo would take it down?
Melee fans are obnoxious as hell (if anything, this whole movement proves just that) so this does nothing for me. same with those splatoon idiots. They were just asking for it.
I'm way more sad that stuff like AM2R get taken down than some competitive melee mod.
True. Nintendo is very anti-fangame/mod. There was a chance it could’ve happened. I know Melee fans can be ****ing obnoxious, but so can be all of us. If they took down the site for whatever reason, would you just stand there, watching how they destroy your community? Absolutely not. You would do the same. The Splatoon players were showing empathy for the Melee community, not griping about how toxic they can be.

Nintendo did nothing wrong here morally. The people running the tournament could have easily done this legally, and Nintendo wouldn’t care. The same goes for the Etika joycons. There is nothing wrong with protecting your IP, and if someone wants to do something like this, they should approach Nintendo first.

I will agree that the music is annoying, but also understandable. I think Nintendo are being jerks about this, but it’s far from enough to make me want to “boycott” them or whatever.
Nintendo did something wrong morally. Slippi is legal, as it is not profiting off Nintendo’s IP and doesn’t require illegally obtained copies of the game to be played. As I said, all profit gained from the Etika Joy-Cons were going for charity. They were not gaining profit from them. There is nothing wrong with protecting IPs, but cancelling harmless things like that is stupid.

#MeleeFansDealWithItDude
#ShutUpIfYoureStupid

If they took down the site for whatever reason, would you just stand there, watching how they destroy your community? Absolutely not. You would protest to Nintendo. Think about how Melee fans and Splatoon fans saw what happened instead of being a crybaby and defending their scummy actions.

Gorozoron

wild ride
First off, GilvaSunner was NOT profiting off Nintendo’s IPs. I don’t know if you live under a rock or what, but if you knew what was really happening you’d know all money went for charity. Is helping people harmful? No. And Nintendo was not generous at all, they were as stupid as you by thinking they were illegally profiting off their IPs.

Second, I agree with that. Nintendo takes down music videos but doesn’t publish their soundtracks. Only a few select games have had their soundtracks published. I’ll touch the Melee thing later on.

People were not boycotting, they were protesting against their scummy business practices. And the last thing, you must know that Nintendo doesn’t give a **** about people protesting.

True. Nintendo is very anti-fangame/mod. There was a chance it could’ve happened. I know Melee fans can be ****ing obnoxious, but so can be all of us. If they took down the site for whatever reason, would you just stand there, watching how they destroy your community? Absolutely not. You would do the same. The Splatoon players were showing empathy for the Melee community, not griping about how toxic they can be.

Nintendo did something wrong morally. Slippi is legal, as it is not profiting off Nintendo’s IP and doesn’t require illegally obtained copies of the game to be played. As I said, all profit gained from the Etika Joy-Cons were going for charity. They were not gaining profit from them. There is nothing wrong with protecting IPs, but cancelling harmless things like that is stupid.

#ShutUpIfYoureStupid

If they took down the site for whatever reason, would you just stand there, watching how they destroy your community? Absolutely not. You would protest to Nintendo. Think about how Melee fans and Splatoon fans saw what happened instead of being a crybaby and defending their scummy actions.
Yeesh going to insults already gee
honestly idc about smash in the slightest but do you guys have to ruin every other communities experience
When they announced that mario attraction the chat was just " FreeMelee "
Maybe protest in you're community? Idk maybe spam in those smash streams
So sorry but the smash community is making itself look like a bunch of jerks , screwing over other communities because the thing they love is related to the bad guy Nintendo

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Pretty sure I said just that.
Well this site isn't being run for profit. The Melee tournament was. The Splatoon people should have minded their own business.
#ShutUpIfYoureStupid
Let's not insult people for their opinions.

Matz

Yeesh going to insults already gee
honestly idc about smash in the slightest but do you guys have to ruin every other communities experience
When they announced that mario attraction the chat was just " FreeMelee "
Maybe protest in you're community? Idk maybe spam in those smash streams
So sorry but the smash community is making itself look like a bunch of jerks , screwing over other communities because the thing they love is related to the bad guy Nintendo
@AwdryFan1997

Matz

Pretty sure I said just that.

Well this site isn't being run for profit. The Melee tournament was. The Splatoon people should have minded their own business.

Let's not insult people for their opinions.
1. I know you said it, but other people think they were boycotting.

2. I said “For whatever reason”.

3. Here:
same with those splatoon idiots
He ain't coming back.
I know, I pinged him cuz he started the thread.
was that some sort of attempt to get the guy to demolish me because I'm the biggest idiot ever for saying that? LMAO
Nope, I pinged him cuz he started the thread.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I still don't understand your ping of Awdryfan, but just because someone else said an insulting thing doesn't make it ok for you to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom