• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Franchises you're glad you never got into

Franchises, by design, usually have quite a long legacy and duration in media. This is true of movies, video games and novels.

But are there any franchises you're glad you never spent the time, money or emotion on?

For example, after eight years Game of Thrones has really turned people off only six episodes before the end and made people regret ever following it in the first place.

The Sonic series is probably another one, when it all went wrong after his 2D games... or Halo after Reach.

Which franchises are you glad you never got into?

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Kingdom Hearts for me, definitely. I've known about the series since it was new, though never played them as I didn't have my own PS2 at the time or any PlayStation consoles since. It seemed interesting at the time but I guess the lack of focus made it very unappealing to jump in to this late. Not to mention the million different "spin-offs" on heaps of different systems that still matter I think?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm a little all over the place with this question, I don't quite know how I want to answer it.

Things like Game of Thrones and Halo have gone ****, but despite how much Halo 4 dropped the ball and how criminally bad Halo 5 was, I wouldn't trade my time with the series before that for anything. Same with Game of Thrones. These last few seasons have been bad (since they ran out of material from the books and started writing original storylines, coincidence?) but the books are really good, the world is really rich, and the first four seasons are some of the best television I will likely ever see. I'll never not be glad I got into those franchises, even though they've faded to a shadow of their former selves. Although Halo might make a comeback with the MCC coming to Steam kednfujihfiowreikwrfeaio

I don't know how to approach the question with regards to things I'm not into. Like, I suppose I'm glad I never got into something like Final Fantasy because there are so many and it would have eaten up thousands of hours of my life, but then if I were into Final Fantasy then I'd have wanted it to do that, right? Anything I got into that ended up going **** would be disappointing but I'd always have whatever got me into it in the first place. The Elder Scrolls comes to mind. Skyrim is a heap of **** the breaks or ignores most of its own rules and lore, none of the writing in it makes any sense, and the gameplay is so stripped bare that the only interaction you have with anything is hitting things until they stop moving. I have absolutely no interest in The Elder Scrolls 6 because, given Bethesda's track record, it can only be even ****ing worse. Despite all that, Morrowind and Oblivion, which also have their share of issues, are games I'll always treasure. Not just because of the adventures I went on in them, but because of the friends I bonded with through them and the memories and stories we still tell today of things we did in Vvardenfel a decade ago. Skyrim can stop me making more memories like that, but it can't take away the ones I already have. So, going back to Final Fantasy, even if, say, 10, 12, and 13 were all crap and made me resent Square, I'd still have those memories and experiences of, say, 6, 7, and 8 that wouldn't be affected, and if I liked those enough to play a half dozen others then, presumably, I'd have a similar response to them as I do to Morrowind or Halo 3 or The Battle of the Blackwater.

My thoughts would maybe be different for a franchise that's been going a long time, or even concluded, that I've never been into, but I don't know. Usually when I get told "X is good until season Y" or something of the like, it tempers my response and I still really get into whatever it is and recognise the drop in quality without feeling it in a harsh way. Thief would be an example. I first played the franchise a while after Thi4f came out, and all I heard was "This was once one of gaming's greatest franchises and now it's UNPLAYABLE ****!!!!!!!!". So I played it anyway, knowing the series would come to this diabolical end point that has likely killed it forever. The first two games almost instantly became two of my favourites of all time, the third is excellent, if a little fiddly at times, and Thi4f itself is... bad but I was able to go in knowing it would be, so the blow was softened immensely. I was able to focus more on the few things I liked than how it betrays the very design philosophy of the originals. I'm not glad I never got into Thief, I'm instead glad that I got into it despite knowing that it will culminate in a game many players see as a personal insult.

I guess my feeling on the matter, then, is that even if something goes bad, that doesn't make my initial love a waste, and anything good enough to become a long-term franchise most likely has something to like, at least initially, that will still be present. This is probably more the case with video games since each one is its own complete, separate package, so it's easier to ignore the bad parts. 343's Halo games haven't made Bungie's bad and haven't made the friends and memories I made playing them bad. Skyrim, if anything, has made me appreciate Morrowind and Oblivion even more. At the very least it hasn't taken away any of the things I loved them for. It can't. Even with Game of Thrones on track to end in a way that will make literally no one on Earth happy, all the time and emotion I invested in the earlier seasons is still worth it to me, partly because it was so good and partly because the worse season 8 is the more videos and essays people will make using it to explain and demonstrate story-telling technique, structure, character and theme development, etc. I don't feel like I wasted anything on Game of Thrones just because the last season is a let down, basically. My investment will be paid off, just in a different way. I'll learn more from it.

I don't know if I've made any sense here. Maybe it all boils down to the journey being more important than the destination or some crap.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
There are so many to name, the ones I don't deal with is any TV show that went through seasonal rot since I don't watch TV anymore. As for games, I never liked Metroid or F-Zero.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Game of Thrones :right:
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear
Tomb Raider
Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Any of the Superhero Shows on CW (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, etc.)
Law and Order, CSI, NCIS
Transformers
Harry Potter

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Most FPS on the market like Halo and Call of Duty, none of them have ever interested me.

Also some of the rated R comedies like The Hangover I avoid that like the plague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom