• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Franchise Fatigue

Many times, when a franchise suffers from many installments released during a narrow time period, people begin to clatter that the franchise is "fatigued". This has occurred most prominently with recent reveals such as Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

My questions to you today are very straightforward and simple :):

1. Do you believe such a thing as franchise fatigue exists?
2. If so, what franchises would you deem fatigued?

I do think that franchise fatigue exists, and it is primarily shown with Call of Duty. The first 4 main games in the CoD series were great, but WaW sucked, MW2 was the same as the first, Black Ops made me want to puke, and MW3 sucked worse than any of them. And with Black Ops 2 being announced, I hope that people realize that CoD sucks and quit playing it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Many times, when a franchise suffers from many installments released during a narrow time period, people begin to clatter that the franchise is "fatigued". This has occurred most prominently with recent reveals such as Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Many installments isn't the problem. It's the quality.

Halo 4 is the first Halo game in 5 years to continue the story of John 117. Bungie left 343 great things to work with, it can only get better. Resident Evil 6 will be the first console Resident Evil game since RE5 which released in 2009. That was 3 years ago. You know what also released 3 years ago? New Super Mario Bros Wii. And Call of Duty... Call of Duty can burn for all I care.

Last edited:
Many installments isn't the problem. It's the quality.

Halo 4 is the first Halo game in 5 years to continue the story of John 117. Bungie left 343 great things to work with, it can only get better. Resident Evil 6 will be the first console Resident Evil game since RE5 which released in 2009. That was 3 years ago. You know what also released 3 year ago? New Super Mario Bros Wii. And Call of Duty... Call of Duty can burn for all I care.

Yes but some would argue the quality of recent installments has declined as well:

Halo:

Halo: Combat Evolved for Xbox Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Halo: Reach for Xbox 360 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Resident Evil:

Resident Evil 4 for PlayStation 2 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Resident Evil 5 for PlayStation 3 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Call of Duty:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Xbox 360 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Xbox 360 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

New Super Mario Bros.:

New Super Mario Bros. for DS Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

New Super Mario Bros. Wii for Wii Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I do believe in Frachise Fatigue. A lot of franchises have become stagnant and even jump the shark and die off.

Examples

-Mega Man

-Guitar Hero

-Call of Duty

1) How is Mega Man fatigued?
2) Guitar Hero has been gone for a while now
3) I whole heartedly agree!

I think that Call of Duty is where we're seeing this the most. And a lot of sports game too.

I can't get into too many sports games cause it's just another one each year. The only difference is minor control adjustments and better character models. Racing is okay. Most others I avoid.

I play Call of Duty to an extent. I try to stay about two games behind everyone else if I can. I think that Modern Warfare 2 was good but it's starting to get too far.

I'd say a fatigued series would be some of the more recent Mario games. I think Nintendo should cut back on them for a bit and reboot again.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam

How are you going to compare Resident Evil 4, a game that released in 2005 and was reviewed according to the Gamecube's standards to, Resident Evil 5? A game that released in 2009, that was reviewed according to the 360's and PS3's (superior consoles to the Gamecube) standards.

And anyway, since when do reviews prove anything? Did RE5 not sell more than RE4? Are you seriously gonna say that RE5 declined in quality? A game with much better graphics, better physics, more content, and co-op play? RE4 can be described as a fan favorite, but many despise it just as they do 5. Reason being, it wasn't like past RE titles. Just because Resident Evil evolved and went away from its roots, doesn't mean that the quality of the games have decreased.

People can argue according to scores, but that doesn't make their argument anymore valid. Anyone who is anyone, would base a game off of what they think and not some rating.

Reviewers don't matter, just the fans.

Last edited:

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
Absolutely. Modern Warfare is definitely played its course for me. I make the distinction from Call of Duty, because I hated Modern Warfare 2 but loved Black Ops. So I'm excited for Black Ops 2, but I would not even grab MW3 if was free.

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I don't really think it exists. It's more of developers just not putting in the hard work to make a quality game.

The problem is that arguably, the games are just as high quality as previous in the series - its the fact it is another iteration and the bar gets set up higher that the previous - and while they still may deliver a "quality" game, the very fact that it is another in the franchise causes the fatigue. So it's kind of a trap, where after something like COD 4 Modern warfare, the bar is unattainable - not that Modern Warfare 2 isnt better, because in most ways it is, but it isnt enough of a step up from COD4.

And if that made any sense at all, in there lies the very real issue of franchise fatigue.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How are you going to compare Resident Evil 4, a game that released in 2005 and was reviewed according to the Gamecube's standards to, Resident Evil 5? A game that released in 2009, that was reviewed according to the 360's and PS3's (superior consoles to the Gamecube) standards.
V ALL MY OPINION DUN TAKE AS FACT V
You can't compare them based on reviews or specs or anything, but based on content you definitely can. Resident Evil 4 was most definitely capable of giving some kind of fright or shock. You don't get that out of Resident Evil 5 (unless you play on Pro mode, solo fighting Bird Beak Woman + Wesker and you have my kinda mind). RE5 was nothing but an action game, whereas RE4 at least tried to keep a little bit of scare in. At leas RE4 has atmosphere, y'know?

Anywho, I don't believe in franchise fatigue. Games don't decrease in quality because so many are pushed out into the world -- that's like saying that X brand of lawnmower will die out because it has so many revisions. Just not the case. Yeah, it's somewhat costly (unless you do an OoT--MM where you reuse all the models of the previous game), but it's not gonna increase/decrease the quality of the series. Just give it more publicity because there are more installments to relate to.

[As a matter of fact, if I did beleive in FF, I wouldn't put Call of Duty on that list. Every CoD has been the same quality wise EXCEPT Modern Warfare 3 because it's spawns freaking suck and the MP7 is easily the most broken weapon in the game]

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
V ALL MY OPINION DUN TAKE AS FACT V
You can't compare them based on reviews or specs or anything, but based on content you definitely can. Resident Evil 4 was most definitely capable of giving some kind of fright or shock. You don't get that out of Resident Evil 5 (unless you play on Pro mode, solo fighting Bird Beak Woman + Wesker and you have my kinda mind). RE5 was nothing but an action game, whereas RE4 at least tried to keep a little bit of scare in. At leas RE4 has atmosphere, y'know?

Um...no. Being scary doesn't determine the quality of the game. And Resident Evil 5 has more content than RE4...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom