• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Four Swords Timeline Theory

www.zeldainmypocket.com
The more I've been looking into it, the more I think that the FS/FSA/MC have to do with the entire timeline. I've seen several people completely skewer the Vaati trilogy (may I call it that?). My theory is that the order these games occur in is FS, TMC, and FSA. Proof?

From FS: "Long ago, in the kingdom of Hyrule, there appeared a Wind Sorcerer named Vaati. Vaati could bend the wind to his will and used this awful power to terrorize many villages of Hyrule. In his assaults on the villages, Vaati would kidnap any beautiful girls who caught his fancy.

Many knights from the castle and other brave men set out to subdue the sorcerer and rescue the girls, but each one fell in turn to Vaati's awesome power. Just as the people had begun to lose hope, a lone young boy traveling with little but a sword at his side appeared.

When this boy heard what was happening, he said only, "I will defeat this sorcerer." He boldly entered Vaati's palace, mystically trapped the evil sorcerer inside the blade of his sword, and returned the young girls to their villages. The boy then went deep into the forest and disappeared.

The villagers asked the girls how a boy so young could have saved them all and defeated the sorcerer when no one else could. The young girls told a story of how with just a wave of his sword, the boy's body shattered into four pieces, each of which then formed a complete copy of the boy. These four young boys then worked together to defeat the sorcerer. The people did not believe the story, but they called it the Four Sword nonetheless. As rumors of the blade's power to divide a person into four entities spread, the people built a shrine to protect it.

Princess Zelda of the land of Hyrule was a beautiful young girl born with mysterious power to sense approaching forces of evil. For this reason, she was assigned with the sacred duty of protecting the shrine of the Four Sword and the blade itself. One day, Zelda was in Hyrule Castle when she sensed that something unusual was occurring at the Four Sword Shrine. She asked a boy named Link, whom she trusted above anyone else, to accompany her to investigate the happenings at the shrine..."

From FSA: "Long ago in the inner reaches of Hyrule, an evil wind sorcerer known as Vaati began kidnapping beautiful young maidens, one after another. Nobody could stop Vaati, and the people of Hyrule despaired.

Then, a brave young wanderer carrying a single sword appeared. When the young lad took out his sword, he split into four separate beings. The legends say that these beings worked as one and defeated Vaati.

The wanderer, united once again, imprisoned Vaati deep in Hyrule and sealed the prison with his own sword. This place became known as the Realm of the Four Sword.

After that, a long time passed...

Then the wind sorcerer Vaati broke out of his prison, and snatched Princess Zelda of Hyrule. Zelda's childhood friend, a young boy named Link, claimed the strange power of the Four Sword, and fought Vaati fiercely. In the end, he succeeded in sealing Vaati away once again.

And so peace was restored to Hyrule. Or so everyone thought..."

BTW, the source for those is ZeldaWiki.org, and it's as the actual game text says.

So anyway, I believe that the original legend (from the first quote box, highlighted in green) has no game (perhaps yet to come). Then the events of FS occur, and Vaati is sealed. then he breaks out, and is later resealed, as seen in TMC (yellow highlight). At some point later on, FSA takes place.

It makes perfect sense, seeing as how FSA states the events of the previous games. If I didn't do a good job of explaining myself, please let me know, and I'll try to do a better job. ;)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The more I've been looking into it, the more I think that the FS/FSA/MC have to do with the entire timeline. I've seen several people completely skewer the Vaati trilogy (may I call it that?). My theory is that the order these games occur in is FS, TMC, and FSA. Proof?

BTW, the source for those is ZeldaWiki.org, and it's as the actual game text says.

So anyway, I believe that the original legend (from the first quote box, highlighted in green) has no game (perhaps yet to come). Then the events of FS occur, and Vaati is sealed. then he breaks out, and is later resealed, as seen in TMC (yellow highlight). At some point later on, FSA takes place.

It makes perfect sense, seeing as how FSA states the events of the previous games. If I didn't do a good job of explaining myself, please let me know, and I'll try to do a better job. ;)

umm its impossible for the order to be FS, MC, FSA...

why? this is why.

if Vaati is sealed in FS, then how is he released for him to be in MC?

MC shows Vaatis BS and how he got his powers.

MC gives the specific origins of the picori blade (which is not called the four sword until AFTER Vaati is sealed for the first time).

in FS and FSA Vaati is only shown in his demon form, but in MC he is shown to be human-like/minish. this shows that he was an actualy normal living being until he got his power.

i could explain this in a lot more detail but i feel that i gave more than enough info to prove that the order is MC-FS-FSA

Like Zemen said, the games pretty much have to go MC->FS->FSA, as Vaati was never his monster form until the end of MC. In FS and FSA, Vaati is only shown in his monster form, and not his human. MC shows how he became the form in FS and FSA.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
I do see your points, but read the official text:

"Long ago in the inner reaches of Hyrule, an evil wind sorcerer known as Vaati began kidnapping beautiful young maidens, blah blah. (FS)

Then the wind sorcerer Vaati broke out of his prison, and snatched Princess Zelda of Hyrule. Zelda's childhood friend, a young boy named Link, claimed the strange power of the Four Sword, and fought Vaati fiercely. In the end, he succeeded in sealing Vaati away once again. (TMC)

What it says (in yellow) Is that he broke out. Himself. What we see in TMC is that he is posing as a swordsman.

And the Piccori Blade? It mentions that Vaati kidnapped several maidens before. He kidnapped only Zelda in TMC. I know this doesn't seem to answer your statement, but if you look hard enough, it does.

And dark_link01, if you are going to talk about "monster forms" that way, it pretty much decides how things are to be with Ganon, etc.

P.S. The only place you have me is with the powers. It does state that he is a wind magician, though. So he did already have some powers.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I do see your points, but read the official text:

"Long ago in the inner reaches of Hyrule, an evil wind sorcerer known as Vaati began kidnapping beautiful young maidens, blah blah. (FS)

Then the wind sorcerer Vaati broke out of his prison, and snatched Princess Zelda of Hyrule. Zelda's childhood friend, a young boy named Link, claimed the strange power of the Four Sword, and fought Vaati fiercely. In the end, he succeeded in sealing Vaati away once again. (TMC)

What it says (in yellow) Is that he broke out. Himself. What we see in TMC is that he is posing as a swordsman.

And the Piccori Blade? It mentions that Vaati kidnapped several maidens before. He kidnapped only Zelda in TMC. I know this doesn't seem to answer your statement, but if you look hard enough, it does.

And dark_link01, if you are going to talk about "monster forms" that way, it pretty much decides how things are to be with Ganon, etc.

P.S. The only place you have me is with the powers. It does state that he is a wind magician, though. So he did already have some powers.

actually, Zelda is not kidnapped at all in MC. your logic terribly fails there as that is your only argument. the only thing happens to Zelda is that she is turned to stone, but she is never kidnapped.

besides, the sword in MC is NEVER called the Four Sword. in MC it is only ever referred to as the white sword (when it has no power) and the picori blade (when power is restored to it).

According to what youre saying, Vaati escaped the chest and that is how he is around in MC. where is the in game quote or cutscene that shows this? the chest that Vaati gets sealed in lies within the castle. when Vaati poses as a swordsmen he gets to touch the sword that is in the chest. the very sword that according to you is what holds him in the chest. so if the sword is still in the chest and if no one saw him escape, then how did he escape?

the game introduces Vaatis BS. are you telling me that Ezlo was a hat for a LONG time before Link found him in the woods? are you saying that Vaati became a demon/monster before he even had his true power? i guess Ezlo was just waiting in the woods getting bullied by monsters for a hundred or so years eh?

www.zeldainmypocket.com
actually, Zelda is not kidnapped at all in MC. your logic terribly fails there as that is your only argument. the only thing happens to Zelda is that she is turned to stone, but she is never kidnapped.

She is kidnapped later, after being turned to stone (at the end on the roof, remember?). Anyway, that wasn't the point. I was trying to say that he didn't kidnap other maiden in TMC.

besides, the sword in MC is NEVER called the Four Sword. in MC it is only ever referred to as the white sword (when it has no power) and the picori blade (when power is restored to it).

I know, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, nor is that what I said.

According to what youre saying, Vaati escaped the chest and that is how he is around in MC. where is the in game quote or cutscene that shows this? the chest that Vaati gets sealed in lies within the castle. when Vaati poses as a swordsmen he gets to touch the sword that is in the chest. the very sword that according to you is what holds him in the chest. so if the sword is still in the chest and if no one saw him escape, then how did he escape?

The quote is: Then the wind sorcerer Vaati broke out of his prison, and snatched Princess Zelda of Hyrule. Zelda's childhood friend, a young boy named Link, claimed the strange power of the Four Sword, and fought Vaati fiercely. In the end, he succeeded in sealing Vaati away once again.

I can't explain the logic of the sword. Good point, but it doesn't really set anything in stone. I could come up with a bunch of explanations for this, but it would be pushing it.

the game introduces Vaatis BS. are you telling me that Ezlo was a hat for a LONG time before Link found him in the woods? are you saying that Vaati became a demon/monster before he even had his true power? i guess Ezlo was just waiting in the woods getting bullied by monsters for a hundred or so years eh?

What makes you think that Ezlo wasn't a hat for a long time? I don't see any reason why not. And if you watch the cutscene, you'll see that when Ezlo is turned into a hat, he is not in the woods. Now tell me where he is a demon or monster in FS. I'm not saying he isn't, but you should source.

The game text when talking about Vaati kidnapping young maidens is not something that apparently has taken place. Or, the developers just messed that part up. You are referring to the intro to FSA. That tells of three separate events:

First, it talks about Vaati kidnapping young maidens, and a hero coming to defeat Vaati by way of using the Four Sword. The way I see it is this can only be interpreted by talking about MC, as the Four Sword did not exist before this game. Obviously, there was an error in their description of Vaati. Secondly, it talks about Vaati escaping, and Link having to defeat him again and seal him back within the Four Sword. This is obviously making reference to the events which take place in FS. Last, the story goes on to tell of dark clouds looming over Hyrule, which leads into FSA.

What it all boils down to is the fact that FS and FSA are based upon the Four Sword and Vaati being sealed within it, inside of the Four Sword Shrine. Neither the Four Sword or the Shrine built to hold it existed until after Minish Cap. In MC, Link fuses the Picori Blade with the four elements, creating the Four Sword. Then, after he had defeated Vaati, the people of Hyrule named it the Four Sword and built the Shrine that it is in (shown at the beginnig of FS and FSA). Therefore, it is impossible by any means for FS to take place before MC.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
The game text when talking about Vaati kidnapping young maidens is not something that apparently has taken place. Or, the developers just messed that part up. You are referring to the intro to FSA. That tells of three separate events:

First, it talks about Vaati kidnapping young maidens, and a hero coming to defeat Vaati by way of using the Four Sword. The way I see it is this can only be interpreted by talking about MC, as the Four Sword did not exist before this game. Obviously, there was an error in their description of Vaati.

What it all boils down to is the fact that FS and FSA are based upon the Four Sword and Vaati being sealed within it, inside of the Four Sword Shrine. Neither the Four Sword or the Shrine built to hold it existed until after Minish Cap. In MC, Link fuses the Picori Blade with the four elements, creating the Four Sword. Then, after he had defeated Vaati, the people of Hyrule named it the Four Sword and built the Shrine that it is in (shown at the beginnig of FS and FSA). Therefore, it is impossible by any means for FS to take place before MC.

Perhaps you are right, and the developers did mess it up. But the part that says:
"Then the wind sorcerer Vaati broke out of his prison, and snatched Princess Zelda of Hyrule. Zelda's childhood friend, a young boy named Link, claimed the strange power of the Four Sword, and fought Vaati fiercely. In the end, he succeeded in sealing Vaati away once again."
sounds exactly like the events of TMC, and it clearly states that the previous event(s) was/were before TMC, and that FSA occurs after TMC. I suppose it could all be a mistake, but if it isn't, it's obvious that my theory is correct, am I wrong?

www.zeldainmypocket.com
You know, Zemen, I'm starting to agree with you. I just read your forum on this topic. I'm beginning to guess that it was just an error created by the people who wrote the intro.

Perhaps you are right, and the developers did mess it up. But the part that says: sounds exactly like the events of TMC, and it clearly states that the previous event(s) was/were before TMC, and that FSA occurs after TMC. I suppose it could all be a mistake, but if it isn't, it's obvious that my theory is correct, am I wrong?

No, the theory is not correct. If that text wasn't a mistake, it wouldn't make any sense at all. It would completely retcon the entire Four Sword series and the entire game of Minish Cap. If it retconned MC by making that statement true, then the Four Sword would have never been created, the Shrine would have never been built, and Vaati would have never been sealed within it. Which means that FS and FSA would also not exist. This is why MC has to come first.

And no, Vaati did not do this in MC, he actually snatched Zelda up in FS. That description is talking about FS.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
No, the theory is not correct. If that text wasn't a mistake, it wouldn't make any sense at all. It would completely retcon the entire Four Sword series and the entire game of Minish Cap. If it retconned MC by making that statement true, then the Four Sword would have never been created, the Shrine would have never been built, and Vaati would have never been sealed within it. Which means that FS and FSA would also not exist. This is why MC has to come first.

And no, Vaati did not do this in MC, he actually snatched Zelda up in FS. That description is talking about FS.

Yes, I suppose you're right. I would still be correct, however. It's just that it wouldn't make any sense. ;)

Has a split timeline been examined for the FS stuff? I don't think I've ever thought about that. I'll have to examine that.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
You know, Zemen, I'm starting to agree with you. I just read your forum on this topic. I'm beginning to guess that it was just an error created by the people who wrote the intro.

im glad youre coming to your senses :)

i have argued before that i dont believe ANY part of the BS for FSA is about MC. none of the BS for FSA matches up with anything in MC. i cant explain why this is so, i just know that it isnt. people argue that legends can change over time but thats too drastic of a change. who knows, maybe there will be another FS game soon that will fill in the gap that is left in the BS of FSA.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Perhaps. The only problem is that we have no idea how long of a period lies between each game. It could be 10, 100, or 1000 years for all we know.

Yes, let's hope that a new FS game is to be revealed soon.

Perhaps. The only problem is that we have no idea how long of a period lies between each game. It could be 10, 100, or 1000 years for all we know.

Yes, let's hope that a new FS game is to be revealed soon.

Zelda DS was initially planned to be a 4th FS subseries game. Later they dropped that idea to make PH.

Many people suppose that it would be a sequel to TMC telling the story of the FS BS (about Vaati kidnapping maidens and stuff)...

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Yeah, I wish they had gone ahead with the FS part 4 game. Vaati's cooler than Ganon IMHO.

What I really want to see if a game where the land is either flooded or drained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom