• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forum Time Outs

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Can we extend how long it takes for you to time out of the forum? I had a well thought out post written up in a thread that took me a lot of time to create (a couple hours) and now it is all gone because the forum timed me out and then errored when I logged back in. Now I can't think clearly enough to make a decent post in that thread. We shouldn't have something that dissuades somebody from making a post.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I didn't know you could time out here? I am nearly always logged in. I go to bed logged in and I wake up logged in 6 hours later.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Ok, I'll change the question. For those of us who don't want to "stay logged in" for privacy reasons, can we extend the time out period if there is one?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I've considered doing those, but I still think that if we have a time-out period that is as short as it seems to be we should still extend it to help avoid situations like these.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
The timeout needs to be fairly short for those who don't wish to stay logged in on the computer as a security thing, increasing the time is a bit counter-productive for that purpose. It is unfortunate that you experienced an error when logging back in (possibly as a result of our recent downtime) but generally the posts save as draft versions in the thread as you go and I've not heard of other occurrences of this problem (it not saving as a draft) before.

I would recommend if you have a post that takes hours to write you keep it in microsoft word as errors can happen in addition to the timeout that will result in losing it after clicking 'Post Reply' and as such I have also lost replies in the past for other reasons. Due to this I think the trade off on security that comes with increasing the auto logout time isn't worth the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom