• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forlong's Timeline Explaination Extravaganza!

I've commented on a lot of timelines, but never made one of my own. Well, I did, but never explained it. Time to show you why I put the games the way I do. Here are the most important factors, in my mind, to constructing a timeline:

1: direct references
If one game refers to the events of another and official statements. Though official statements will need some extra in-game evidence to back them up.
2: reoccurring artifacts
The Triforce, Master Sword, ect.
3: reoccurring races and characters
This is the weakest evidence and I will only use it to strengthen my standing rather than depend on it.

That said, let's start with direct references. With direct references, I get a timeline that looks like this:
......................../--WW/PH--ST
SS--MC--FS--OoT
........................\MM--TP--LttP
____________?FSA?
________________?LoZ/AoL?
________________?OoX/LA?
With FSA, LoZ/AoL, & OoX/LA we only get a rough idea where they go. As for the others, well, let's talk about that:
Skyward Sword
All evidence points to this being the first game chronologically. Hyrule hasn't been established; and the "war of the Triforce" is referred to us by Fi, who makes it seem as though she was there. Also, all the locations of Hyrule are isolated, since Hylians haven't had time to cut through the forests and connect them yet. No one denies this being the first game in the timeline. Though that might just be because Ocarinahero10 hasn't had time to make his video commenting on it.
Minish Cap and Four Swords
When FS was released, it was called "the oldest Zelda tale" by Eiji Aonuma. Of course, MC has to come after it because it refers to the back-story of the Four Sword and Vaati (not that anyone cared). Other reasons to put MC second in the timeline is how sparsely populated Hyrule is. Remember, the monsters are sealed by the Four Sword, limiting the ways that Hylians can die. If it's still fairly early in Hyrule's history, that makes a lot more sense. Also, in MC, the sky temples still have people living in them; but they're deserted prior to TP.
Ocarina of Time (adult timeline)
OoT was said to be first in the timeline when it was released and all the games before it were released after it. No contradiction there. Also, just about every other Zelda game refers to OoT in some fashion, making it most likely at this point in the timeline. It's also the source of the split timeline. At the end of the game, Zelda sends Link back to relive his childhood. There are some problems with this, like: Why did the Triforce of Courage shatter? How did the Master Sword return in the adult timeline? How could the Door of Time be open in the child timeline when Zelda hasn't left? All things considered, there are explanations, but I just admit that their plot-holes. There not the only ones OoT has...
Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks
WW has a very clear reference to OoT. The opening tells of how Ganondorf was sealed away, and this had only been done in OoT (FSA hadn't been released yet). He soon escaped and went unchallenged, until the gods sealed him away with a great flood, just in case you weren't beaten over the head with those Christian allegories. Ganondorf eventually escaped and tried to take over the surface, but a new Link and Tetra, Zelda's descendant, stopped him. Afterwords, the two sailed for adventure, leading to the events of PH. As PH might have been a dream or in another dimension (that makes three timelines), it does little to nothing to add or take away from the timeline. That's fine with me.
ST tells the tale of New Hyrule. It's made clear that Link and Tetra founded a new nation and Tetra's granddaughter, Zelda (who would have guessed?), is being groomed to take the throne. Of course, things don't work out so well and Link has to save the day. At least Zelda helps this time, though manages to be a bit annoying. You could reasonably put games with Hyrule after ST, and we'll see about doing that. Now let's go to the child timeline.
Majora's Mask
It's implied that Link managed to foil Ganondorf's plans after being returned to the past and eventually went looking for Navi the fairy. Don't ask me why, maybe she owed him five bucks. Anyway, he goes into another dimension again (making the timeline count four) and has another adventure that really doesn't effect the timeline overall. Well, let's get to the next game.
Twilight Princess
Nintendo was taking a look at Team Ico's notes, so a lot is left up for interpretation in this game. One of the universal interpretations is that the trial of Ganondorf was a result of OoT-Link's efforts after being sent back in time. This makes sense, given how stubborn Ganondorf is. The execution (which is done by SIX sages, rather than the usual seven) fails because Ganondorf might have gotten the Triforce of Power. I developed a theory for this, but I'll go over it when I talk about the Triforce. Either way, the sages decided to just seal Ganondorf away and make him someone else's problem. He eventually makes a move at Hyrule, but is stopped by Link and Midna.
Link to the Past
This game is last in the child timeline because of the fact that Ganon's true name is known by very few. As well as new names for a lot of locations in the game that aren't named such in the others. Shigeru Miyamoto said that it was the last game in the timeline (except maybe LA) after OoT was released. It's unclear if this was in fact true. Let's look at the unclear titles, now.
Four Swords Adventure
This is a sequel to FS, so it obviously has to come after it. It might contain the same Link as FS, but I haven't seen any evidence to convince me of that. The state of Ganondorf, not being a leader yet, makes it likely to occur around the same time as OoT. However, some of the locations have the same names as ones in LttP. With a few inconsistencies, I need some more evidence to place it in good continence.
Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link
Placing these two is a little problematic because they have very little going in terms of plot. Ganon never being known by his full name implies them coming after LttP, which official statements said was the case when that game came out. However, later statements said otherwise. What is completely clear is that they come some time after OoT. The towns in AoL have the same names as characters in OoT. The towns aren't necessarily named after those characters, but this does hint as to why they would have those names.
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
These games involve Twinrova trying to revive Ganondorf, so it has to come after he was killed, which was in WW, TP, LttP, and LoZ. We can eliminate WW because Twinrova was killed in the adult timeline; this means that they have to be placed in the child timeline.
Link's Awakening
Originally meant to be a sequel to LttP, but this was retconed by Shigeru Miyamoto. There are only three factors for placing it, as most of it is just a dream.
1: Link went soul searching after defeating Ganon.
2: Link was sailing!
3: As Link woke, he called out Zelda's name.
Now, Link defeated (note that it does clarify if he killed) Ganon in OoT, WW, TP, LttP, LoZ, and OoX. Now, we can legitimately eliminate OoT from the list because Link went into the forest after that, rather than sail. TP is iffy for the same reason. Now the third fact implies a close relationship with Zelda. This automatically disqualifies WW because Link doesn't know Tetra as "Zelda". TP is disqualified completely because Link isn't very close to his Queen (sorry shippers). LttP and LoZ are iffy because Link's relationship with Zelda isn't made clear. At the end of the Oracle linked game, Link and Zelda show some close interest in each other and Link sails off after defeating Ganon. LA makes the most sense being placed here, though you could put it after LttP or AoL without conflict.

Well, I have to go, but when I get back, I'll fix up the timeline nice and neat. Maybe the Triforce, Master Sword, Terraforce, or Four Sword will clear things up. Maybe even the Trident will answer a few questions.

S

SS,OoT,WW,TP

WOW!!! this is a awesome timeline! this thread completely killed mine. But I would like to say that I think oracle of ages and seasons should switch places with link's awakening.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Link to the Past
This game is last in the child timeline because of the fact that Ganon's true name is known by very few. As well as new names for a lot of locations in the game that aren't named such in the others. Shigeru Miyamoto said that it was the last game in the timeline (except maybe LA) after OoT was released. It's unclear if this was in fact true. Let's look at the unclear titles, now.
Four Swords Adventure
This is a sequel to FS, so it obviously has to come after it. It might contain the same Link as FS, but I haven't seen any evidence to convince me of that. The state of Ganondorf, not being a leader yet, makes it likely to occur around the same time as OoT. However, some of the locations have the same names as ones in LttP. With a few inconsistencies, I need some more evidence to place it in good continence.
The interview in which Miyamoto said LttP was last was never published, by his request. Early the next year, he gave the correct timeline in a different interview, which placed LoZ/AoL last.

The evidence for FS/FSA is in FSA's manual. When telling MC's story, it refers to the hero merely as a "young lad" and a "wanderer". In contrast, the FS section specifically names Zelda and Link.

LttP and LoZ are iffy because Link's relationship with Zelda isn't made clear. At the end of the Oracle linked game, Link and Zelda show some close interest in each other and Link sails off after defeating Ganon.
Link fulfills a Hyrulean Prophecy in LttP, as described in LA's manual.

WOW!!! this is a awesome timeline! this thread completely killed mine. But I would like to say that I think oracle of ages and seasons should switch places with link's awakening.
Interesting thought. As long as LA goes after a game that Link defeats Ganon, it should be fine. I just said that it's put after the Oracle games because that makes the most sense.

Anyway, elaborating farther on my timeline. The reoccurring artifacts should make things more clear. Let's start with...
Four Sword and Trident
The Four Sword only appears in the Four Swords games (duh). It was first forged from the Picori Blade in MC and used to seal Vaati at the end of that game. Vaati was resealed in it after FS, because that worked out so well the last time. In FSA, Link just killed him and sealed Ganondorf in there (I guess so that the sword wouldn't get lonely). Just about everyone assumes that Ganondorf managed to break the seal and probably shattered the Four Sword because--unlike Vaati--he wasn't an idiot. The Four Sword was a threat to be neutralized.
Although the Four Sword doesn't help, the Trident from FSA will. Oddly, it doesn't actually appear in other games. Ganon wielded a trident in OoX and LttP, but the design was very different from the one in FSA. We also see Phantom Ganon using a trident in OoT, but this is also a different one. However, the fact that Ganondorf knows how to use a trident so well in close combat is kind of odd. He is far more skilled with swords, as we see in WW and TP. Yet he took the time to master a trident, which would be highly unnecessary. This would imply that getting the Trident was an early plan in his bid for power. Another even more compelling hint is the fact that the Trident turns him into a moblin. Now, when he has the power of the Triforce, he chooses that form. By why a moblin instead of...say...Cthulhu with a jetpack, a shotgun-rocket-launcher, and a cowboy hat? We know from TP that he can take a different form if he wants, so why that form so often? Perhaps he feels a certain kinship with the form and would rather not take another. It's as good an explanation as any.
So most of the evidence supports FSA coming before OoT, or at least close to that time. It's still a little shaky, so I'm open to moving it. The main problem is that I've never played it and had to get all my information second-hand. But until then, my timeline looks like this:
................................/--WW/PH--ST
SS--MC--FS--FSA--OoT
................................\MM--TP--LttP
_____________________?LoZ/AoL?
_____________________?OoX/LA?
Master Sword
Confirmations from every source imaginable that the Master Sword will be forged in SS. We might get some answers to a few burning questions about the blade of evil's bane. Until then, we know that at the end of SS, or sometime after, the Master Sword is used as the lock and key of the Sacred Realm until OoT. It is returned via some magic or something after Link is sent back in time and remains at rest until Wind Waker Link takes it up. As it's impaled in Ganondrof's face at the end of the game, I'm going to assume that it isn't used again in the adult timeline.
In the child timeline, things get a bit weird. If Ganondorf indeed has the Triforce of Power in TP, the Sacred Realm was opened up. It sure doesn't open with that game's Link takes it up. It should be noted that it's found in the forest with ruins surrounding it (ruins of the Temple of Time, most likely). He returns it at the end of the game, and the ruins disappear almost completely by the time LttP come around. At the end of that game, it's said that the Master Sword sleeps again forever, so no game with the Master Sword can come after LttP or likely WW.
This isn't an issue with LoZ and AoL, as the Master Sword isn't in either game. They could be reasonably placed at the end of either timeline, but there are a few issues in the backstory of AoL that I'll get to in a bit. There is an issue with the Oracle games. You can get a Master Sword in a few different ways in the linked game, and one has you pulling it out of a pedestal. I'm going to assume that is canon and that the Oracle games go after OoT and before LttP. Unless the placement of LoZ and AoL changes anything, they would go after TP. Let's see if the Triforce and Light Force (did I misname that earlier?) make things more clear. We'll do them together because many fans theorize that they are one and the same.
Triforce and Light Force
The Triforce will be in SS, but no spoilers. Let's just assume it will be sealed away nice and tight. While that's out of the way, there is something the Hylians call "Light Force" that was used along with the Picori Blade to chase away monsters in MC. The Light Force is shaped like a part of the Triforce and is passed down through the royal line, much like the Triforce of Wisdom. You can see what I'm getting at, but I'll get back to that later.
In OoT, Zelda says that Ganondorf touched the Triforce only seeking power, thus only received the Triforce of Power. The Triforce of Wisdom went to Zelda and the Triforce of Courage to Link (more out of dramatic convenience than anything else). The Triforce of Courage is shattered when Link goes back in time (once again, not sure why), and no one picks up the pieces because I guess they thought it was modern art. Wind Waker Link and Tetra gather the Triforce of Wisdom and Triforce of Courage to combat Ganondorf. However, Ganondorf sets a trap for them and defeats them. This causes the Triforce to leave all of them and reform. I think the Triforce might reform in Sacred Realm under such circumstances, which would explain why Ganondorf waited until Link and Tetra were there to avoid anyone else from being able to touch the Triforce before him. It didn't work, and the Triforce ended up lost at sea. It's unlikely that it would be used again in the adult timeline.
In the child timeline, things get a bit sticky. In TP, the Triforce of Power is implied to be in Ganondorf's possession and the Triforce of Courage in Link's. The Triforce of Wisdom would then be with Zelda, right? Yes and no. While at first this seems to be the case, Zelda does pass her powers on to Midna, which might be the Triforce of Wisdom. This would explain why the Triforce leaves Ganondorf: the wielders of the other two parts have defeated him and they all return to the Sacred Realm.
In LttP, either Ganondorf's specter or a new Ganondorf, takes the Triforce and does it right this time. As you know, Link kills Ganondorf and takes the Triforce as his own.
Now, the Triforce is in OoX, and is completely whole. However, in LoZ and AoL, it's shattered and AoL has back story that creates some problems. All right, in the manual, Impa tells Link that a King of Hyrule secretly acquired the Triforce and sealed away the Triforce of Courage. He placed a very powerful spell on it and Hyrule. Should someone who is worthy of the Triforce of Courage show himself, the symbol of the Triforce would appear on the back of his hand. If he then defeated his dark self--the plan being for him to follow the King's directions to where he'd do this--he would receive the Triforce of Courage.
The problem comes with this King's kids. When his son became king, he wasn't happy about not getting the full Triforce. A wizard of the court told him that Zelda knew where the Triforce of Courage was and he questioned her. However, when she continued to say that she knew nothing, the wizard lost it and put her in an irreversible sleep (kind of a dumb move, maybe the wizard was Vaati). The King formerly known as "Prince", realizing how selfish he'd been, decreed that all girls born in the royal line would be named "Zelda" in her memory.
So where do these games go? The most reasonable place I've been able to think of so far is between OoT and TP. Allow me to explain, Impa only told Link what the King did with the Triforce of Courage. Who's to say that he didn't seal the Triforce of Power back in the Sacred Realm? Or give the Picori the Triforce of Wisdom? Thus, the Life Force would be the Triforce of Wisdom and I just realized that does nothing to improve my timeline, so forget it.
Now, in OoT, the terms of the spell were met: Ganondorf forced Link to face Dark Link in the Water Temple. This was obviously not what the King intended, but it's not like he had a lawyer to make the terms of the spell for him. Zelda may have been mistaken. She might have always had the Triforce of Wisdom and never realized that (man did that sound corny). As far as I knew, the King's spell had no reset button, so the spell is rendered null and void after Link acquires the Triforce of Courage.
Now in the child timeline, we know that Ganondorf starts a war with Hyrule. It's very likely that the Triforce of Power was taken to use in the war effort (didn't work out so well). Link took the Triforce of Power back and eventually the Triforce of Courage.
Now, as for the Oracle games, I think they make the most sense after AoL, as Ganondorf's followers are still trying to revive him. If the AoL Link is still alive (even if we're playing a different Link), then it would make sense for Twinrova to forgo killing Link to revive Ganon and instead go for the flames of sorrow or whatever. That's what they were trying in AoL, and that didn't work out so well. I'm going to assume that the last of Ganondorf's followers eventually managed to revive him, but after he lost most of his resources he lost his second war with Hyrule.
Now I think this second war may have killed the King of Hyrule, leaving a young Princess Zelda the sole heir. If she was the seventh sage, that would explain why only six of them were going to execute Ganondorf. She might not have had the skill or will to do it, or maybe they didn't think she was worth the risk. They were her tutors after all. In her grief over her father's death, I assume that she touched the Triforce and hoped to revive him. However, as she touched it in weakness and cowardice, the imbalance in her heart (oh the irony) caused the Triforce of Power to go to Ganondorf, because he wielded it for so long; and the Triforce of Courage went to Link's decedent for the same reason. Anyway, those are my thoughts on that.

Man, that took longer than I thought. I'll get back to strengthening it farther later, but I think it's pretty good now. Every timeline theory has to be flexible. Humans are creatures of error and I'm no stranger to that. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Edit!
The interview in which Miyamoto said LttP was last was never published, by his request. Early the next year, he gave the correct timeline in a different interview, which placed LoZ/AoL last.

The evidence for FS/FSA is in FSA's manual. When telling MC's story, it refers to the hero merely as a "young lad" and a "wanderer". In contrast, the FS section specifically names Zelda and Link.

Link fulfills a Hyrulean Prophecy in LttP, as described in LA's manual.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't understand what you're getting at with LttP and LA, though. I'm sorry. Here's the corrected timeline:
................../--WW/PH--ST
SS--MC--FS/FSA--OoT
..................\MM--LoZ/AoL/OoX/LA--TP--LttP

Hmmmm. Still not quite right. It's going to need more adjusting, particularly with the placement of LoZ/AoL and OoX/LA. I've got to find a way to place AoL without conflicting the backstory.

Last edited:
K

Kill-Bill

Link's Awakening happened after AlttP and not after OoX. Because they are saying in the manuel of LA, that Hyrule is saved from Ganon. But Hyrule don't appear in OoX.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Link's Awakening happened after AlttP and not after OoX. Because they are saying in the manuel of LA, that Hyrule is saved from Ganon. But Hyrule don't appear in OoX.
This is true that the Link from LA is the Link from ALTTP and that LA comes after ALTTP, however there are some valid points that suggest OOX came in between.

1. Link left Hyrule to hone his skills and become a better warrior to defend Hyrule. Many feel this expedition was to Holodrum and Labrynna. And it was on his way back to Hyrule that LA came to be (as is mentioned in the instruction manual). This is further detailed by...
2. Link ends one of the OOX games on a boat very similar to the one in the intro to LA.

So if we follow correctly, Link killed Ganon. He then goes to the Triforce in hopes to better himself so as to defend Hyrule in the future. The Triforce sends him to Holodrum to slay Onox and save Din. He then returns to the Triforce, which sends him to Labrynna to save Nayru and slay Veran. Ganon is revived, somewhat, by Twinrova. Link defeats Ganon and returns on his way to Hyrule via sailing ship. On his way back, though, he is caught in a storm which dessimates his ship. He then wakes up on Koholint and partakes in the Link's Awakening adventure. After which, he wakes up and presumably manages to sail his way back to Hyrule.

isn't Twilight Princess confirmed to be the next game after Majora's Mask?
We know that Ganon/dorf is attempted to be excecuted after the end of the game before TP, but the way your timeline is arranged, Ganon is dead and have been stopped from reviving twice before Twiligth Princess happened, can you explain this?
and there is always the returning troubles of the Sleeping Zelda

There are interference's, suggested above. And this seems a little out ways, such from you saying somethings not right about it i n the third post.
TP: Ganon was banished by the MS, because it didn't work to kill him in OoT.
FSA: We could use a game in which comes after it that doesent make clear sense in how Ganon is freed, like LoZ.
OoX: Above, someone says Link was on a quest to be stronger. So he goes here, but Ganon is reincarnated in this. These games could be after aLttP, and before LA because it makes more sense anyways.
LoZ: A way that this could be near the end of the timeline is that christianity came somewhere before, and other games go like that too.
AoL: Ganon never gets reincarnated. This would be strange for Ganon having a new way to be reincarnated, I dont think its right to get more ways like that. Maybe its a different Ganon.
And one thing to make clear for somebody is that Ganon and Ganondorf are one. There merely transformations, activated by the ToP, and somehow the "Trident of Power". I can suggest even more to somethings, but thats for my Timeline video.:)

isn't Twilight Princess confirmed to be the next game after Majora's Mask?
We know that Ganon/dorf is attempted to be excecuted after the end of the game before TP, but the way your timeline is arranged, Ganon is dead and have been stopped from reviving twice before Twiligth Princess happened, can you explain this?
and there is always the returning troubles of the Sleeping Zelda
I'm assuming that the one that killed him eventually died a natural death and one of his servants revived him then.

Yes, Sleeping Zelda is just a pain to deal with.

There are interference's, suggested above. And this seems a little out ways, such from you saying somethings not right about it i n the third post.
TP: Ganon was banished by the MS, because it didn't work to kill him in OoT.
FSA: We could use a game in which comes after it that doesent make clear sense in how Ganon is freed, like LoZ.
OoX: Above, someone says Link was on a quest to be stronger. So he goes here, but Ganon is reincarnated in this. These games could be after aLttP, and before LA because it makes more sense anyways.
LoZ: A way that this could be near the end of the timeline is that christianity came somewhere before, and other games go like that too.
AoL: Ganon never gets reincarnated. This would be strange for Ganon having a new way to be reincarnated, I dont think its right to get more ways like that. Maybe its a different Ganon.
And one thing to make clear for somebody is that Ganon and Ganondorf are one. There merely transformations, activated by the ToP, and somehow the "Trident of Power". I can suggest even more to somethings, but thats for my Timeline video.:)
The reason Ganondorf didn't die in OoT was because of the Triforce of Power. As it left him in TP, he died then. I just realized something: claiming that the OoX Link is the same one in another game doesn't make much sense. If he's on a journey to get stronger, wouldn't saving Hyrule already have made him strong enough?

The rest of your points are good. I have thought about most of them. I am considering making adjustments to my timeline as needed.

1. Your placements of MC and FS is fine but placing FSA before OoT contradicts Ganondorf's origins in OoT.
2. MM leads directly to TP. In TP, there's no in game evidence/back stories/legends which talks about what happened between MM and TP. It also contradicts Ganon being in LoZ when he was sealed during the events of MM (TP back story). He was also killed BTW in LoZ (and OoX).
3. ALttP has been confirmed to be a prequel to LoZ. Why are you placing it after LoZ?

Interesting but in Oot it states that events in OoT take place only ten years after the founding of hyrule
which is the end of SS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom