• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forest Temple (OoT) = Sealed Temple (SS)?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
This has probably been said before, but I couldn't find another thread on it.

I was looking at the structure of the Forest Temple in OoT today (particularly outside, where you meet Saria as a child); it bears architectural similarities to the Sealed Temple in SS. They are both in similar areas, in the Lost Woods (Faron Province, in order words) and have a similar feel, down to plants growing on the inside etc. Also, the Sacred Forest Meadow bears a slight resemblance to the area outside where you fight Demise. Perhaps this is why it is 'sacred' by the time you get to OoT. It might also explain to some degree why you find the sword in a completely different place than the Temple of Time in TP- this is presumably where it was originally placed.

Then, you might say, this would make the Forest Temple the Temple of Time and the Temple of Time a completely different place. However, it is possible that the Temple of Time is actually just the entrance to the Temple of Light (possibly located in the Sacred Realm, but that is another theory). Perhaps there is a game missing between OoT and TP that explains why the sword was moved and how or whatever. Perhaps Demise in his pure form escaped again within the ancient Sealed Grounds. That part has been questioned enough as to why the Temple of Time moves, though it is worth mentioning that it is possible that the location of the Temple of Time moves due to where it is needed. Another theory, one of many possibilities as you can tell, is that the OoT Temple of Time is actually temporary for whatever reason and that after OoT, in the hero timeline, the Forest Temple gets restored to some grandeur and the Master Sword is placed here before being destroyed by a war or something.

Anyway, like I said, it would appear that the OoT Forest Temple/ Sacred Forest Meadow has way more similarities to the Sealed Temple than the OoT Temple of Time, which indeed, is in the Lanayru Province and the whole other side of Hyrule.

So now I ask, what do you guys think? Plausible or nonsense? :)

Nope. I has been confirmed numerous times - including in Hyrule Historia - that Sealed Temple is the Temple of Time from Ocarina of Time...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nope. I has been confirmed numerous times - including in Hyrule Historia - that Sealed Temple is the Temple of Time from Ocarina of Time...

It specifically said the OoT Temple of Time? ...That makes no sense. The OoT Temple of Time is in the Lanayru providence, far away from the forest.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
It specifically said the OoT Temple of Time? ...That makes no sense. The OoT Temple of Time is in the Lanayru providence, far away from the forest.

It seems you haven't figured out that Nintendo doesn't use the term "sense" in the Zelda series.

Beauts

No, the HH says, I believe, that the Temple of Time in OoT was definitely built by Rauru post-SS to lead to the Temple of Light. AND, in fact, the SS ToT is in Lanayru Province. The Master Sword is placed in the Sealed Temple, which is in Faron Province. Ergo, the sword was moved at some point, right?

The one in Lanayru Province in SS is an entirely different temple, and the temple of time in Oot is the true successor of the Sealed temple. Also, yeah, some things got mucked up; blame retcon.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
the SS ToT is in Lanayru Province. The Master Sword is placed in the Sealed Temple, which is in Faron Province. Ergo, the sword was moved at some point, right?

That Temple of Time was already abandoned by the time Link found it in Skyward Sword and the Sealed Temple is architecturally almost identical to the Temple of Time seen in Ocarina of Time. Also worth taking note of the fact that the Gate of Time in the Skyward Sword Temple was destroyed but the one found in the Sealed Temple remains. Makes more sense that the Sealed Temple was renamed Temple of Time rather than things moving all over the place.

As a side note, does any official media actually specifically say the Temple of Time is in Lanayru Province in Ocarina of Time? Seems we just assume it is because Hyrule Castle Town was in Lanayru in Twilight Princess. But then the Temple of Time was in Faron Province in Twilight Princess. I don't get why people use Twilight Princess to say Ocarina of Time's Temple of Time is in Lanayru when the actual Temple of Time is in Faron Province in Twilight Princess. Thing is, between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess plenty of things, including natural landmarks, move around. Who's to say the city didn't either?

Sealed Temple is in Faron Province in Skyward Sword. The Temple of Time is not in a specified province in Ocarina of Time. Temple of Time is in Faron Province in Twilight Princess. The Master Sword was placed in the Sealed Temple in Skyward Sword, was found in the Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time where it was then also left and it was found once more in the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess. The Sealed Temple and both Temples of Time are very similar in layout and basic architecture.

Taking all this into account I personally find it much more believable that the Sealed Temple becomes the Temple of Time as seen in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. This explains the similarities of the buildings and is simpler than such important and sacred sites moving around all the time. Of course, the issue this raises is that Hyrule Castle Town needs to relocate from the Faron Province to the Lanayru Province between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. I have a potential explanation for this but it's pure speculation so I'll leave it out.

Anyway, I don't think we should use 'Ocarina of Time's Temple of Time is in Lanayru Province' as evidence unless it's actually backed up by official sources which, as far as I'm aware, it isn't. Twilight Princess isn't really evidence since it can also be used to say the Temple was in Faron Province too.

Though I agree with the facts, Sealed Temple=OoT Temple of Time=Sacred Grove, I want to play with a little tidbit you brought up.

What if the Temple of Time in OoT was built as a precautionary seal of the Sacred Realm? Thus the Master Sword is moved, pedestal and all. This begins the first period of disuse for the Sealed Temple, with overgrowth of the forest eventually making it the Forest Temple. Let's say that after OoT a dark presence begins to seep from the Forest Temple. After a time, a new Link takes the Master Sword and uses it to seal this evil, but not before it practically wrecks Hyrule. Thus we have a reason for such vast changes, and possibly some back story for the Heroes Shade and why he feels such regret for not sharing his skills. Also a chance to see an older Link if it's more of the young one not wanting to learn the skills.

Just what popped in my head for that.

DarkestLink

Hyrule castle town is in Lanayru province and in both games is well away from the forest. The Temple of Time in OoT in right next to it. I think it's more like the Lanayru Temple of Time we saw is the one Rauru built over.

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
climate change could also be a benefactor to the areas different layout, and if you look at it in ss, fi or the robots say that laynau was a great place along the sea and when you use the time stones it goes green, so climate change could have done something, and since the eldin province is home to a volcano it could have stayed the same. another theory is its placed between provinces because you only go the one the game lets you, the land in between could be something also.

Though I agree with the facts, Sealed Temple=OoT Temple of Time=Sacred Grove, I want to play with a little tidbit you brought up.

What if the Temple of Time in OoT was built as a precautionary seal of the Sacred Realm? Thus the Master Sword is moved, pedestal and all. This begins the first period of disuse for the Sealed Temple, with overgrowth of the forest eventually making it the Forest Temple. Let's say that after OoT a dark presence begins to seep from the Forest Temple. After a time, a new Link takes the Master Sword and uses it to seal this evil, but not before it practically wrecks Hyrule. Thus we have a reason for such vast changes, and possibly some back story for the Heroes Shade and why he feels such regret for not sharing his skills. Also a chance to see an older Link if it's more of the young one not wanting to learn the skills.

Just what popped in my head for that.

I'll just keep this short and say... highly speculative; theories deal in facts.

Hyrule castle town is in Lanayru province and in both games is well away from the forest. The Temple of Time in OoT in right next to it. I think it's more like the Lanayru Temple of Time we saw is the one Rauru built over.

As Cfrock pointed out, we cannot say that Castle town is in Lanayru province. Saying it is because it is well away from the forest is speculative at best. Forests change over time and the forest could have originally covered the future OoT Hyrule Castle Town area and were cut down to make a suitable living area for the Hylian race. Since the province system wasn't introduced till post OoT we can never really say where most things are definitively because that isn't how OoT Hyrule was envisioned.

The Temple of Time in OoT bears a strikingly similar architectural design to the original Sealed Temple seen in SS (while the Lanayru Temple of Time is an open air courtyard with no real semblence to its titular successor). The Sealed Temple also shows connections to time with the only other known time gear. We also see the emblems of the 6 sages in both the Sealed Temple and the OoT Temple of Time while they are not shown in the original Lanayru Temple of Time. Another factor that I have not seen mentioned here is the Triforce's location. At the end of SS it appears to be located at the newly restored Sealed Temple within the Statue of the Goddess which is the only known resting place of the Triforce known in that era. This is the last known location of the Triforce before the Era of Chaos begins and the next time we see the Triforce the only entrance to it's resting place is the OoT Temple of Time. For another new location to suddenly house the only major connection to the Sacred Realm seems far-fetched at best. I think that all things considered and the official confirmation by Hyrule Historia make the evolution of the Sealed Temple to the OoT era Temple of Time not only the most likely but the most logicial.

On a side note: I admire the thought that went into this theory Beauts, and if it were not for it being officially denied I believe it could have been somewhat plausible. Highly unlikely but still a plausible theory.

Last edited:

Beauts

All very true, I wasn't really trying to dispute with the facts, I was more interested in theorising for the fun of it just to try to come up with some possibilities.
I'm also not really a big fan of factoring in the geography too much because it's only a game, and obviously the developers are going to mess around to see what works. Personally, I like to think that there is a reason that temples are structured in a certain way for a reason even though they're probably not. I just thought the OoT Forest Temple is remarkably similar location-wise to the TP Temple of Time. Of course, forest can steal back land, which is obvious also from TP. I merely find the fact OoT seems completely different to what SS and TP indicate an annoyance if I'm thinking about it. Anyway, I'm sort of a believer in the idea that the Temple of Time, when built by Rauru or whoever, is not literally 'built' but there is some kind of magic in it which means it changes to fit the purpose it most needs to serve at the time.

DarkestLink

As Cfrock pointed out, we cannot say that Castle town is in Lanayru province. Saying it is because it is well away from the forest is speculative at best.

It's...clearly in the Lanayru province...look at OoT's map. Same place. Says Lanayru province.

Forests change over time and the forest could have originally covered the future OoT Hyrule Castle Town area and were cut down to make a suitable living area for the Hylian race.

And this isn't speculative?

Since the province system wasn't introduced till post OoT we can never really say where most things are definitively because that isn't how OoT Hyrule was envisioned.

The province system was around since SS.

The Temple of Time in OoT bears a strikingly similar architectural design to the original Sealed Temple seen in SS

Really? Odd, I couldn't see a single similarity.

We also see the emblems of the 6 sages in both the Sealed Temple

Where?

and the OoT Temple of Time

But not in the TP temple of time.

As for the geography changing argument, not only is that just ludicrous to believe and entire castle and town packed up and moved locations, but the maps disagree with you. The geography looks the same.

oot.jpeg

Map_of_Greater_Hyrule_by_CKnightsofni.jpg

rfNlY.png
eraUy.png

The only place you could argue did this insane move would be Zora's Domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom