• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forest Temple from TP = Deku Tree?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I see no reason the TP forest temple is the OoT forest temple. They don't look at all the same, the location doesn't look at all the same (aside from being in a forest, which is not much), and I can't think of any other clues that suggested it might be the same (if there are, please don't hold out).

Well, there are no real similarities, but just look at all the other references to Ocarina of Time. We've got Death Mountain & the Hero's Bow, the Sacred Grove (Temple of Time), (most likely) the Hero's Shade, the clothing Link wears, which belonged to the Hero before him... The list goes on, but there are many parallels between them. That being so, naming the dungeon the Forest Temple seems like a clear indication that it was supposed to be the same one. And, for all we know, it could have just fallen apart over time, just like the Temple of Time (although that one is hinted at by Aonuma to have been Ganondorf). Anyway, Occam's Razor would point toward it being the same Forest Temple as that of OoT. But, even if that's not the case, there's no way it's the Great Deku Tree, as, again, a sprout would have taken its place right in front of it, and the other would have decayed (again, with the new one in front of it.)

While I usually agree with your posts JuiceJ, I'm not so sure that I would say the Forrest Temple is the same from OOT. The one from OOT was pretty much a castle/mansion, and even with many years of decay, the design of the temple from TP just does not match at all.

And I don't think it is the Deku Tree either :suspicious:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
While I usually agree with your posts JuiceJ, I'm not so sure that I would say the Forrest Temple is the same from OOT. The one from OOT was pretty much a castle/mansion, and even with many years of decay, the design of the temple from TP just does not match at all.

They wouldn't reuse the same puzzles. That would be pointless. Each dungeon in the series has to be completely original, just like each landscape of Hyrule. Otherwise it would become way too repetitive and wouldn't feel fresh. I understand this is all opinion, though.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Well, there are no real similarities, but just look at all the other references to Ocarina of Time. We've got Death Mountain & the Hero's Bow, the Sacred Grove (Temple of Time), (most likely) the Hero's Shade, the clothing Link wears, which belonged to the Hero before him... The list goes on, but there are many parallels between them. That being so, naming the dungeon the Forest Temple seems like a clear indication that it was supposed to be the same one. And, for all we know, it could have just fallen apart over time, just like the Temple of Time (although that one is hinted at by Aonuma to have been Ganondorf). Anyway, Occam's Razor would point toward it being the same Forest Temple as that of OoT. But, even if that's not the case, there's no way it's the Great Deku Tree, as, again, a sprout would have taken its place right in front of it, and the other would have decayed.

I don't think you understand how Occam's Razor works, and you can't really use it in this case because we have no real proof either way and are only making assumptions.

As for the temple falling apart, there is falling apart and there is turning into a tree(s). I'll concede that the dungeon's disjointed nature in TP (the big chasm in the middle) could mean that parts of it are related to OoT's temple, but I don't think there is really decisive proof for that either.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't think you understand how Occam's Razor works, and you can't really use it in this case because we have no real proof either way and are only making assumptions.

I understand how it works. The simplest explanation is the correct one. And it seems to me that being the same is the simplest answer, as so many other things in TP are the same as they were in OoT.

but I don't think there is really decisive proof for that either.

That is very true, and, again, it's really just opinion. (But I'm certain it's not the Deku Tree. That's really impossible.)

Well, I see what you're saying, but for me, it's just not enough similarity.

BUT THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!! WE CAN BOTH HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS YEAH!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
The simplest explanation is the correct one.

That is over-simplified. The explanation with the most facts and least assumption is most likely to be the most correct. However, this rule is meant to explain nature and the universe - not creations of man. While nature is most likely to take the simplest route, man isn't as likely.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I understand how it works. The simplest explanation is the correct one.
Close. When facing several explanations, Occam's Razor suggests picking the one that has the least amount of new assumptions. It doesn't say that the simplest explanation will definitely be the correct one. Four elements (Fire, Water, Earth and Wind) are simpler than 118 elements (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, etc). In this case, simpler doesn't equal correct.

Besides, the theory that the Forest Temple from TP is the same Forest Temple from OoT needs a lot more new assumptions than "it is a different temple that just has the same name". Or than "the Forest Temple from TP used to be a Deku Tree (maybe even the Deku Tree)".

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Close. When facing several explanations, Occam's Razor suggests picking the one that has the least amount of new assumptions. It doesn't say that the simplest explanation will definitely be the correct one. Four elements (Fire, Water, Earth and Wind) are simpler than 118 elements (Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, etc). In this case, simpler doesn't equal correct.

I know it's not true for everything, and I was just stating the generic definition.

Pen

The game is on!
No, I can't agree with this theory. I have of course had these thoughts before, but I just think that the Kokiris live isolated somewhere deep in Faron Woods, where you can't go in the actual game. Because I just don't think the Kokiris would die out just like that... :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The Forest Temple in OoT was a mansion, an old abandoned one, not so in TP.
Does anyone have the dungeon map for TP Forest Temple? Is it in any way similar?
I think the two Water Temples had much more in common and are more likely related than the Forest Temples.

Again, different puzzles. And, again, they both had outside areas, and the Forest Temple of OoT could have just fallen apart. It's not that difficult to understand.

Again, different puzzles. And, again, they both had outside areas, and the Forest Temple of OoT could have just fallen apart. It's not that difficult to understand.

I get different puzzles but that doesn't mean it wouldn't retain the same general shape. If it is something not even remotely similar then...
Besides I am not sure how a mansion turns into a hollowed out tree with a completely different door design. If it was based on OoT FT their would be hints or easter eggs or something that would show some connection.
It's possible, I personally do not think they are the same but in the world of Zelda where drastic changes occur on a regular basis it's not impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom