• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forest Demo at E3 is Not in the Final Game!

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I'm really happy that this was finally confirmed. I had a feeling that this would be the case; the area seemed very bland and generic, it also seemed quite enclosed :/
I wonder if this indicates that the in-game scenery, that which wasn't just specifically created for e3, will be better than what we saw -shakes fist at trees- that'd be a nice little surprise. I wouldn't mind scorpion-dude sticking around, but I think he was also for demonstration's sake.

Beeker

Wild Card
I don't mind hearing this news, though it's going to make me wonder what the real scenery will look like. Hopefully it will blow my mind:).

And they only really wanted to focus on the gameplay and control factors for the show, so they probably put this level together to demonstrate the new items/weapons and how they'll be used in-game.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
Thank god. I was hoping that this would be the case. The demo area just seemed too bright and peppy (or is it just me?). Not to mention it was very closed. I want to be able to explore and look around, not follow one straight path. P: And I figured that they'd be touching up the graphics (or at least, I hoped). They're quite beautiful but they could still use a little work, in my opinion.

-shakes fist at trees-

I agree. *picks up torch* BURN THEM ALL!!

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Thank god. I was hoping that this would be the case. The demo area just seemed too bright and peppy (or is it just me?). Not to mention it was very closed. I want to be able to explore and look around, not follow one straight path. P: And I figured that they'd be touching up the graphics (or at least, I hoped). They're quite beautiful but they could still use a little work, in my opinion.

I agree. *picks up torch* BURN THEM ALL!!

Hey, the forest might not be in the real game, but it doesn't mean you should burn the trees! You'll have to go through me first!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I love those trees. >=o!!! This is exactly what I was talking about in the topic about the eye door.

I have complained about the trees a lot, and I want to be clear on what I (and I think most others who don't like them) mean. The style of the trees is actually pretty great. I love the sort of fantasy style with the curly branches and the gigantic gnarly trunks and roots. That is super cool. The colors are all good too--I love the dappled, painted style of the game in general. It is the way that the tree tops look that looks really lazy and crapy. They are just a few planes intersecting. It looks like a few flat pieces of paper, not a tree. The don't look bushy or leafy. It looks like something some kid made for a 3rd grade diorama. It really seems like they could use 3 - 4 times as many polygons on those treetops without having anything too complicated. It's an easy fix.

I know that this area is supposedly not going to be in the game, but I'd be surprised if many of the things in it are not intended to be used in the final game...

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
I love those trees. >=o!!!

They are beautiful trees, but the leaves are....flat. And I am a picky person.
Add those two together and you get a wonderful complaint about Zelda trees! :D *thumbs up!*
Hehehe, I'm just pointing out my dislikes while waiting for the game.
But have you seen the waterfalls in the background of the demo? I must say, they're gorgeous! :)

but it doesn't mean you should burn the trees!

I am destructive, no? I like fire :) it's pretty.
But, alas, I shall not burn the trees.... *puts out torch*

And what about the fire/volcano area in the trailer? They hadn't mentioned that as a sandbox idea (or have they?), so I'm thinking that we'll see that area in the game.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
After hearing the news I was a little dissapointed actually, since as I kind of went overboard and wrote a big article about the demo, and then I find out that the whole place won't even be playable. It seems it truely was just a demonstration. But I'm glad that the scenery is getting an overhaul lol like most of you I feel offended by those silly trees.

Way way back I remember that they were trying to compete with the graphics of Monster Hunter (Tri? I think?) in terms of getting the most out of the Wii system, so anyway the graphics for those Monster Hunter games are stunning and I must say the game looks impressive on the Wii as well, so by the time Skyward Sword is complete I expect to see a huge developement in the designs and textures for the trees, paths, bushes, etc. the whole 9 yards.

Something else was the sole building in the area, if it's any indication of what the buildings will look like then I'll admit that needs some work as well. Skyward Sword still has a long way to go even though it seems like they have worked very hard and completed most of the main tasks, the final stretch can take the longest so while we wait one thing is for certain, they are making the game look as best as they can. Oh and I just thought I'd mention that even though the demo area wont appear in the game, that doesn't mean they couldn't base a new area on the demo area, or recreate it and edit it heavily to fit into the game with the improved graphics, or we could see an area that looks entirly different but uses the exact same scenery. You never know they could do a lot of things to change the demo so that it could be used. But I wouldn't mind if they scrapped it... I just don't see the point though. It would be neat as an unlockable aside from the real game. I wish they would release it later on instead of hiding it away. If that's not the real game it shouldn't be a big deal right? lol just wishful thinking I guess, but that would be AWESOME, just to get used to all those different controls you know?

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
But I'm glad that the scenery is getting an overhaul lol like most of you I feel offended by those silly trees.

Way way back I remember that they were trying to compete with the graphics of Monster Hunter (Tri? I think?) in terms of getting the most out of the Wii system, so anyway the graphics for those Monster Hunter games are stunning and I must say the game looks impressive on the Wii as well, so by the time Skyward Sword is complete I expect to see a huge developement in the designs and textures for the trees, paths, bushes, etc. the whole 9 yards.

You know, it was not all that long ago that they were making statements about how Monster Hunter Tri was putting pressure on the Zelda team. It was only a couple months ago. And they were releasing those statements publicly voluntarily. It is interesting...

That must mean that they have only been working on this graphical style for a few months...They must have scrapped what they had altogether and started over. So I bet they just got this figured out. Which might be why there was only a small demo area. Because we know that once they picked a graphical style they redesigned all the enemies and such so that they would have over-exaggerated movements and gestures. What we saw was probably a very early iteration of the graphics. Maybe a first version. It could be that they have a good long way to go on designing everything. It sounds like they have most of the world built (save a few dungeons) from a structural/layout standpoint, but are redesigning the artwork in all of it. Indeed, a few months ago Aonuma said that they were "quite far along". So they are going to be spending the rest of their time completing those couple dungeons and improving the graphics. Interesting.

Yeah, the tree's style is great don't get me wrong, it's just the weirld one layer (like a piece of paper) thats supposed to represent the leaves. I mean, spread out the leaves like in a real tree and its totally fine!
As for the graphics, yeah, its an amazing idea, they are defs going in the right direction, they just need more interesting and more crisp textures, and the graphics will be amazing, I think it'll turn out great in the end.

As for mario galaxy 2, I think the light effects really made that game feel next gen, because what I notice the most when I play next gen games (xbox 360, and ps3) is the lighting effects. Now since skyward sword doesn't have big contrast, white lighting effects cuz its cartoony/cel shaded, I think it NEEDS to focus on really neat textures that represent the style they are going for.

They have like sevenish or more months, so I think ti's gonna be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom