• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

For Those Who Drive....how Good Are You at Parking Your Car?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Recently I saw a clip on youtube about a woman in Belfast who couldn't parallel park her car. It took her 30 minutes. I won't judge her because one can or can't. I personally never have troubles with it. But my question is this:
How good are you at parking your car at all? Do you rather parallel park your car or do you drive on to the next spot? Are you parking your car backwards so you can leave right away or not?

I always parallel park my car if there is a spot available. And it doesn't take me 30 minutes :P
I rather park my car backwards so I can drive off right away.

Last edited:

Dan

I haven't attempted to parelel park since learning to drive, but I got really good at it. I most likely suck at it now. I prefer driving straight in, since reversing in takes more time and it's more hassle. Since you have a smaller amount of space to reverse into, reversing out is a lot easier and plenty of space to do so. So I use that method myself.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I used to park like a champ. But I haven't had a car in over two years. I get nervous the few times driving my boyfriend's car, but my parking is adequate.

I'd also like to note that I park how Dan parks. That's still considered parallel parking, isn't it? I mean, you end up in the same position.

Clank

Hmm
I usually only take out one two houses...Ah, the beauty of Lego Racers 2 and the parking interface...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I haven't driven in over a year because I don't enjoy it at all, but I was pretty good at parking. It didn't take me very long to learn how to do it properly. I don't think I've ever tried parallel parking, though. I park the car either backwards or forwards; it doesn't really matter which to me.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Parallel parking takes me a little less than a minute, don't even need anyone to get out of the car to tell me how much space I got. I also prefer to park backwards just like you Vanessa, just love to drive right away when back in the car. I haven't even gotten my license yet and I park better than my sisters and mother, now.. does this mean they (women) are just awful at parking or am I complete beast when it comes to parking? :D

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Parallel parking takes me a little less than a minute, don't even need anyone to get out of the car to tell me how much space I got. I also prefer to park backwards just like you Vanessa, just love to drive right away when back in the car. I haven't even gotten my license yet and I park better than my sisters and mother, now.. does this mean they (women) are just awful at parking or am I complete beast when it comes to parking? :D

I am a woman and I can parallel park my car in less than 1 minute too. I never had problems with this from the beginning ;) I can't say if women are worse than parking than male but my mother and my sister always had troubles with parallel parking.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've only been a licensed driver for a little over four months, and I suck at parallel parking. I don't know how it is in America, but here in Canada you need to be able to parallel park by the time you take your road test. I'm getting a little nervous actually. Even though I can't take the road test until next January, I don't quite have the hang of parallel parking. Last time I tried, I accidentally hit a 2013 ferarri... It only left a dent, but he sure was mad...

I don't understand most peoples' problems with parking. When I was learning to drive over two years ago, I had trouble my first two or three times but perfected parking not long after that. Parallel parking isn't a problem either.

I've never tried parking backwards and truth be told, I'm a bit scared to do so.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Whatever is easier is what I choose when I have to park. If it's my own parking garage I always reverse into the spot, because it's very narrow and my spot is right next to a cement wall. I'd rather get the hard work over and done with than leave it for the morning when I'm tired and just want to get on with it. I don't really have much need for parallel parking, as I very rarely have to park in the street (however back when I was taking lessons and was preparing for my driving test I didn't have any problems with it). On public parking lots and garages there's usually a lot of space, so driving in (even better is whenever I can drive through) is usually what I go for, because there's more space to reverse into than it is to reverse into the spot. When I'm at my parents house, it's easier to reverse into the spot than out, so that's what I choose.

I'm a fairly quick parker, despite not having a car of my own to drive regularly. I'm not as quick as some, but quick enough.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I remember how nervous I was when I first tired to parallel park, but I found that for me, it was actually really easy! I think I'm pretty decent at parking, I just need more driving experience to be more confident in my abilities. I also prefer to park my vehicle backwards.

A lot of members bring up parallel parking, this reminds me, I haven't done so in years and should the need ever arise I may be quite lost. I'm excellent at reverse parking which I've noticed it's a field many of my peers have struggled with. It goes without saying forward parking is a breeze. I prefer reversing into a parking bay, so that I may have a speedy escape when finishing for work.

ILU

i luv u
I just started to drive, and I can't park for crud. I'm either way too far forward or not in all the way. Or taking up two spots. I can't back up very well, either. I CANNOT parallel park. I'm honestly a terrible, terrible driver and probably won't pass the driving test.

When I was learning how to parallel park for my license, I was really good at it; I learned fast and could do it perfectly nearly all the time. However, I've never once parallel parked since (about a year) so I'm not sure how well I could execute one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom