• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Food

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmm... I agree, and I see where you're going with this and if you don't mind I'd like to expand on it...

Yeah, the whole "Link doesn't eat" thing can be annoying at times. Link is never seen eating on his quests, sure, but we are left to assume that he does. I mean, the guy is a Hylian [human] like everyone else - a living thing - and as such, he must eat in order to survive. The reasons as to why we never see [main] characters eating in video games is simply because eating is such a minor aspect of the game as a whole. Instead, small eating utensils, food items, and other miscellaneous things related to food can be seen lying around or on shelves, and they serve as in-game visual hints to that suggest that NPCs [and Link] eat.

Example: In the Bizarre in Skyward Sword, a diner can clearly be seen where people can actually be seen eating, and there's a woman there that actually serves food. There is also a stool on which Link can sit and converse with a someone while he waits for food to be served. I know, Link is still never seen eating at this point, but my point is...the whole diner serves as a visual hint that NPCs and even Link do in fact eat. On that note, there is also a kitchen at the Knight Academy that Link attends [in the same game].

The bottom line is The Legend of Zelda is an adventure title, not a cooking simulator, nor is it an RPG where characters sometimes have food in their inventory. As Darknut_Hunter put it, Link is on a quest and doesn't have time to sit around and eat [...or to be seen eating by the player]. And I can't speak for everyone, but I personally don't want to sit around watching Link feast on an entire meal every five 'game hours'; the in-game visual hints are all I need. We can assume that Link eats; NPCs eat. Eating is simply not significant enough to the game's plot to be shown at all times.

Amen to that.

You don't see game characters go to the bathroom the way do neither? This is because it is NOT IMPORTANT in a videogame. In a game having dinner or going to the bathroom is a very minor factor to the game. No player worries about Link getting hungry or say:Heck I think Link has to run to the bathroom. NO. Of course Link will eat. But we don;t see him do it in games. But like Wolf already said he is human and has to eat to survive. We see him drink the potions because he has to use them somehow. But eating something is irrelevant to the game. There is plenty of food visible in the game. In TP he drinks soup (Snowpeak Ruins) and in SS we see plenty of places where food is either prepared or served. But it doesn't really contributes to the game for him to have dinner or lunch

Well there's fresh fish that can be caught and served many ways.... There always seems to be pumpkins.... so soup, pies, casseroles ect.... Goats? sure.. i could go for some goat... ummmm I've never really seen any vegis in the LoZ world... unless you count that pitiful garden outside of Lake Hylia in OOT :/ The weird professor in OOT seemed to think frogs tasted good :D but come on guys... Link, super heroes, and pokemon trainers never eat or use the bathroom in video games... tis not important....

SOUP! That appears in both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.
You get the goat cheese and the pumpkins, which makes the soup better, remember?
So at the very least, you have those three things.
Plus there are the Cuccos, and there's no way those are only pets...
There's also Lon Lon milk, plus the cows, cause beef is good :D
And you know they eat fish, because at the beginning of Twilight Princess when Sera mentions the cat ate the fish they were going to have the night before?
So they do eat food^^
Just not Link....XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom