• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Flygon/Salamence Mishap?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think the pokemon below was supposed to or at least should have been named Flygon.

373Salamence.png

First, the names line up better:
Bagon
Shellgon
Flygon

Second, the whole story behind Bagon is that it has strong dreams to fly. Hence after going through its Shellgon stage, a metamorphosis during which it forms wings inside the shell, its final evolution should be the realization of this dream. The pokemon itself is, but "Flygon" would have been a much more suitable name than "Salamence."

This means that the pokemon below should have been named Salamence (or something else).

330Flygon.png

Do you agree or disagree?

For reference, here are the Japanese names:
Bagon = Tatsubay ("baby dragon")
Shelgon = Komoruu ("to seclude oneself")
Salamence = Bohmander ("violent salamander")
Trapinch = Nuckrar ("nutcracker")
Vibrava = Vibrava
Flygon = Flygon

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I don't think it would make much of a difference if Salamence was Flygon and Flygon was Salamence/something different. Although the names make much more sense when switched, it's not that big of a deal. Interesting find, though, I never noticed this before.

The thing is though, Flygon is a partial anagram of dragonfly, which is what Flygon is supposed to be based on. I guess Salamence could of been named something else with a gon at the end, but in all honesty the name Salamence suits it's menacing, brutal design (which quite frankly, Salamence is a brute). I don't think Flygon would suit the menacing design of Salamence, hense I don't believe Salamence and Flygon are mishaps.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I dunno, but you make a good observation. Salamence is a beast, though, regardless of his/her name. Salagon would have sounded stupid, lol.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Reminds me of the theories that the Marsh and Soul badge names in gen 1 may have been a switch (Marsh makes more for a poison gym, and Soul makes more sense for a psychic gym). It's the kind of thing where an outsider looking in would be like, those don't make any sense, but a person accustomed to it may have a harder time realizing there may have been a mistake. I want to say Flygon would make more sense given the Bagon/Shelgon thing, but I just can't get my head around Salamence being, well, not Salamence =P

Austin

Austin
I can see should have, but I don't think it was ever supposed to. The fact that Flygon's name is the same in Japanese rules that out. I can see how it would make more sense but it would have required them making the Japanese names different as well. Would not make much sense having two Pokemon called Flygon.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I never realized this, since I usually use the Flygon family instead of the Salamence family. But your right! The name Flygon should have been Bagon's final evolution. I agree that it makes a lot more senses to have Salamence's name be Flygon instead. The real Flygon looks more like a Salamence anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom