• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Floor 49 in the Cave of Ordeals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Immortalluna

The 3 darknuts on the 49th floor are repeatedly killing me (and caused me to scream every time) Any tips on defeating them?

Use the Back Slice and the Helm-Splitter on them if you have those Hidden Skills. Using these makes it easier to knock off their armor. When their armor is off, I normally jump attack them to catch them off guard so I can attack.

Also, I found that trying to get one away from the group works and makes it less of a hassle.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Ah these bad boys.

My tip, if you STILL have bombs and arrows, bomb arrow them. DON'T Hit them head on, hit them on their side, it will deal massive wreckage on their armor. If you make all three armorless, then your half way to defeat them. Helm Splitter and backslice are good choices like what PA said, but using them on 3 against one is hard to pull off. If you can somehow bomb one darknut armorless and defeat it, then it will be much easier to defeat them. Wearing the "Special Armor" works too, if you have rupees that can protect you.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
Haha, oh my goddd. This room...Ugh.

Having a bottle of rare chu jelly certainly helps out a lot. It's hard to get when you have the opportunity, since all the chu-chu's mesh together into one giant mass, but do at least try and get a jar.
Bring potions instead of fairies (they only heal eight hearts), but use them wisely.
Also, being extremely careful and strategic when facing the other floors so you don't run out of life/healing remedies too quickly is extremely important.

While fighting them, it's best to take on one at a time. Time your moves accordingly, don't make any hasty or impulsive attacks and be ready to dodge at any given time.
Helm splitter, back slice and spin attacks worked fairly well for me. Use the spin attack sparingly, though, since it can be a bit laggy.
And while I never used this method, the bomb arrow tactic sounds like it would be extremely effective. If you have some left over, definitely try that out.

Magic armor's good, too. Best to go in with a full wallet and save your rupees for that battle since it's giving you the most trouble.

Good luck! This room is an absolute (pardon my language) beeyotch, but you'll feel so heroic and accomplished after completing the Cave of Ordeals.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
The fight gets easier as you go on because the less of them you have to deal with, the hard it'll be to get hit. If you still have Jovani's Great Fairy's Tears, it may be a good idea to use that before the fight, and wear the Magic Armor as much as you can at first. I personally kept circling them, trying to get one farther away from the group so that I could backslice without the other two attacking me. It's a matter of going in with an attack and getting out before they respond, so a good deal of timing is required.

You can blow the armor off a Darknut by Bomb Arrowing the ground near them, so you could try attacking from a distance like that before putting on the Magic Armor and going head in for sword attacks. Once the Magic Armor does wear off then you just need to be extra careful with your timing. Focus on one Darknut at a time if you can. Beat one and the fight already gets easier. Beat two and the last will be cake.

Ralis

Prince of the Zoras
bomb arrow them until their armor is off, then when they're in their second stage, heal yourself to full health, and if you have it, use the great spin attack on them.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I second the recommendation to use bomb arrows. You can stand on the ledge and aim at them - or rather, off to the side, like K4King says - and attack them. Unfortunately that will wake them up and they will start to march toward the ledge, which will eventually move them out of sight (because they are underneath you) so you only have a finite window of attack that way, but every little bit helps.

Apologies for not being more specific, as it's been awhile since I played it, but I got fairly good at Darknuts on my last playthrough without actually using the helm splitter or back slice (the latter of which I was not so good at). They'll usually attack twice in succession and after the second attack, if you catch them right, they will be off-balance. Just wait patiently and attack them then (you may have to attack the side that isn't holding the sword; I can't quite remember.)

I defeated all three of them, just by biding my time like that; you just have to get used to the rhythm.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Helm Splitters are the only sword attack that work 100% of the time. (Unless, of course, another Darknut swings at you in the process.) First, slash at them once. Their armor will block it, but it's the only way to have the Shield Bash option available. Next, do the Shield Bash, then press A to do a Helm Splitter. It will do some damage. When you land behind it, slash repeatedly to do some more damage. Repeat. Other tips are pretty much what everyone else said: Use bomb arrows, draw one out, etc.

I always drop off the edge of the ledge attempting to only get the attention of the one directly under me so I can deal with him first. I use the back slice exclusively on the Darknuts, always - it's the easiest way I have found to beat them. You have to target until the one you're targeting raises his sword/mace to try to crush you and attack in that moment.
Inevitably, I'll get two or more of them after me, so I usually try to just keep my target on the nearest one and move around them in a circle until I see an opening to do the back slice. When one is stripped of armor, I lure him a little distance away from the others (they move much slower in armor) and destroy him before going back to the remaining ones.
Another hint that may help you: by the time I do the Cave, I always have the Magic Armor and a full wallet. If this is the case for you, don that armor and have at them. :) It's not like there's not enough money around. ;-)

Before I address that specific room, let me just say it would be a great idea to go into the Cave of Ordeals with 17+ hearts, all 4 bottles, (one of which has Great Fairy's Tears. The other three should have Blue Potion, or some Rare Chu Jelly if you happen to find some) 100-Arrow Quiver, all three bomb bags with double capacity, (filled with normal bombs, for a total of 180 bombs) all seven hidden skills (the Back Slice and Helm Splitter specifically though. The Mortal Draw doesn't hurt either, and the Great Spin is nice to have, though you probably won't keep it long in the Cave of Ordeals, and Jump Strike can be really nice as well) the Magic Armor, and 1,000 Rupees.

Anyway, you made it to the end of the Cave of Ordeals, so I'm going to assume you have most of this stuff I listed. If you're having trouble, a good thing to do is to stay up on the ledge before the three Darknuts and shoot Bomb Arrows in their direction, which is quite effective at taking off their armor. Side note: Never shoot AT the Darknuts, shoot slightly behind them or next to them so they don't block it with their shield. Alternatively, you can try and lure one out by itself and use normal Darknut methods on it. The Helm Splitter is good against Darknuts, though you might have to bash them 2-3 times with your shield.
Once their armor is off, probably the best thing to do is Back Slice, slash, slash, slash, slash. Back Slice, slash, slash, slash, slash. The Back Slice automatically opens them up for attack, so let them have it at that point.

Hope I helped! Don't forget to use a potion, or, if worst comes to worst, Magic Armor if you're low on health.

If you have a bunch of rupees, use the magic armor for as long as possible. After that, I find bomb arrows helpful. If push comes to shove, try to draw one away from the crowd.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Having beaten the Cave of Ordeals more than 10 times with relative ease, I think I can give you a few ways to dealing with them. Pick the one that suits you best! I'm not the best player, though, so maybe these techniques might not work for you. ^_^;

First, some tips. Use Great Fairy's Tears, Rare Chu Jelly, or if those two aren't available, Blue Chu Jelly. These heal all of your hearts no matter what. Make sure you watch your health. Fairies aren't recommended since they only heal eight hearts. It's a little more convenient, but in this case, it's not worth it. Also, the Magic Armor is a big help. Fairy's Tears/Rare Chu Jelly + Magic Armor gives you a temporary powered-up Great Spin Attack and invincibility! :D The Back Slice is a good technique to use as well, especially for the second stage of the Darknut. More on that later--

1.) Here's the one I use. I pick them off one by one. No matter what you do, the three Darknuts will eventually merge into one cluttered little group that's annoying to deal with. So, I target the one in the front. Right before the Darknut strikes, I backflip out of the way and Jump Attack him (but if I'm a little too close, then I use a regular jab attack combo). Two regular sword slashes + Spin Attack + a final regular sword slash is all that you can cram in the time he's stunned. Right afterward, a side jump + a small slash during that jump followed by a Black Slice works nice as well. It rips off a nice amount of armor, and the Darknuts in the back might get some of their armor stripped as well after this combo. While you're doing this, make sure that you're watching the other two Darknuts carefully, as they might strike at you during your combo. Once you're finished breaking all of one's armor, run towards the Darknut really fast while it's still away from the others. It takes two complete regular sword combos to defeat the stripped Darknut. For me, it takes less than a minute to take care off -- Black Slice, combo. Black Slice, combo. Done. Repeat with the others and heal if needed!

2.) When I'm feeling lazy, I use this method. XD I stand from the ledge and Bomb Arrow them 'til their armor is gone. Note that the Darknuts eventually all gather around underneath the ledge. At this point, use regular Bombs and drop them into the fray. Be careful at this point -- you'll have to listen to the final clang that the Darknut makes when all of its armor is gone. When it throws its sword at you, it can still hit you through the ledge and make you fall down! Listen to the warning sound and dodge. Once all of their armor is stripped, you can fall down and begin your massacre, but I have to admit that I've come to dislike this method after a few more rounds of the Cave since three un-armored Darknuts are, to me, harder to deal with than one of them and two armored Darknuts. Either way, you can use the Jump Attack to stun them, or the Back Slice. Take note that if you use the Back Slice, you're more than likely to get hit by the other two Darknuts midway through your roll or jump. :|

Another thing to mention -- if you somehow fall down from the ledge before you're finished stripping their armor with Bombs, you still have a chance. Use regular Bombs (not Bomb Arrows) and throw them into the group of Darknuts. Walk backwards so that they'll follow you. Make sure that when you throw the Bomb, it's at a distance where by the time it's ready to explode, it's behind the Darknut. Because of this, you might want to throw the Bomb in front of the group before walking backwards to lure them into the explosion.

3.) This method requires a good amount of reflexes. Watch for the Darknuts' attacks. When they attack, Shield Attack them back. If successful, you can use the Helm Splitter on them and crack their nonexistent skulls. :3 Slash at their backs. Once they're stripped down to their chainmail, watch their attacks again. When they jump forward and do a double-slash at you, jab at them from a distance right when they draw their blade back. You can get four hits in. Repeat.

Some other things I'd like to say! :D If you somehow end up in the middle of the Darknut cluster with the intention of only trying to hurt one, more than likely the other two will try to hit you. When you see it coming, do a Spin Attack really fast to make them bring up their shield. This way, you might get a hit in with the Darknut you were facing, and the other Darknuts can't attack for a little while. I suggest that you get out of that cluster, though. ^_^;

From what I remember, the Mortal Draw can also be used against these guys, although it's a much slower way of dealing with them.

If you're having trouble picking off an un-armored Darknut from the slow ones, throw something at it (a Bomb, maybe, or you could Clawshot it) and it'll dash out of the way. This will give you a little bit of time to rush in and fight it before its buddies come in to bully you.

Oh! Remember to stay calm. :3 Good luck!

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
Here's what I like to, lure 1 Darknut over toward you so you don't have to deal with the others. When he goes to attack, backflip and immediately move in for a 3 hit combo, lather, rise, and repeat until he has his armor off. Then just spam the back slice which opens him up for hits every time it connects. That's how you defeat the darknuts easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom