• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Flip The Script on Blight Battles

So, I've been listening to a lot of opinion pieces, podcasts, and generally Breath of the Wild-themed youtube videos lately. One of the talking points commonly touched on deals with the Divine Beasts, specifically how samey the Blight battles are. But the boarding sequences are really unique and memorable, with beautiful music (except I suppose Vah Rudania). So I randomly got an idea today while listening to an old episode of the ZD-i podcast on the subject. The boarding sequences, the Beast itself, the boss battle at the end, it's kinda messed up because these elements on their own are all sorta neat, but they're in the wrong order. The most memorable and climactic part comes FIRST. That's not right. So I suddenly thought, what if boarding the beast was nothing more than presenting your Slate so that it allowed you to enter (since all the supporting cast goes on about how only a Champion can access them). Then you do the dungeon, but when it comes time to the Boss Battle, then the descendant helps you out! I mean, I think the easiest one to visualize is Vah Ruta with Prince Sidon. Remember how he's always calling out to you from the river to encourage you on your way up to Zora's Domain? Wouldn't it have been cool to make one last callback to that? Like, you're about to fight this obviously powerful beast, when suddenly he calls out to you and Link dives over the side just before being skewered, only to be immediately borne aloft by Sidon. Then you begin this crazy fight where the two of you work together to bring the Blight down. I think that since the Blights were all strong enough to fell the Champions 100 years ago, you could really get a lot of story mileage out of having two people fight it. Plus, it would allow each race the chance to gain some catharsis, as many of them mourn the loss of their champions. Think how all the Zoras feel about the loss of Mipha. I think many of them would feel better if it was a combined effort of Hylian and Zora that avenged her. Plus, you would put the events in their appropriate order of ascending engagement. AND it would be a way for you to differentiate each battle from the other, making each one unique and memorable.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the matter. What do y'all think?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
combined effort of Hylian and Zora that avenged her
I really like that idea (especially the Sidon one), but I already think that Sidon, Yunobo, and the rest of them already DID avenge their Champions in a way. Without them, Link would have never been able to board any of the Divine Beasts.

Aside from that, I think that this is a great idea, and could very possibly appear in DLC pack 2 in some way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom