• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Flavors of Potions

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I've been thinking about this ever since I got a positive review on one of my oneshot fan fictions that praised how I bothered to describe the flavor of red potion.

In a Skyward Sword fic of mine - "Warm Watercolor," I described red potion as having a flavor like "rusty mushrooms." My reviewer was surprsied by this because the stuff looks bright and syrupy like cherry Skittles. My reasons for mentioning the poition as having such an odd flavor are as follows: Red potion may be bright and happy looking, but it's still medicine and medicine tends to taste bad. Also, in past games ( A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask) mushrooms would seem to be vital to the potion-making process, so I was thinking "it's mushroom brew." After that, it's bloody-red color and the fact that you use it to cure your wounds in battle (which I imagine would be bleeding if Zelda was a more realistic/mature rated game series - which I honestly don't want it to be despite my darkfic writing) made me think "It probably boosts/replenishs your iron, so... rusty flavor."

Butterfly guts and dung beetle stomach-contents optional! (Notice what goes into the plus and plusplus versions)! Ew!

Link: Ugh, this tastes like Mogma...something! And rusty mushrooms!

Alright, so that's what I think Red Potion tastes like - on its own, "rusty mushrooms" and plus-ed, like... less mentionable things.

Green Potion:

Stamina Type - The stuff looks like cartoon-radioactive waste. I think it probably has a tart, fruity flavor because I imagine that it must be made from Stamina Fruit. The color makes me think "tart" like lemon or un-ripe apple.

Magic Type - Nyquil. I don't know why, it just seems like it would be medicine-y. I seem to remember Wind Waker Link's face while taking it wasn't too happy about it.

Blue Poition:

Magic/Heal Type - Like "Frost" flavored Gatorade, as in, the only way to describe the flavor of that is "blue." It's supposed to be "blue raspberry" flavored, but since such things do not exist in nature, one can imagine blue potion as tasting like other blue things in our lives.

Oxygen Type - Since it gives you oxygen, I imagine it to be very fresh tasting, like mint leaves crushed into freshly-fallen snow.

Guardian Potion - I LOVE this stuff in Skyward Sword. I find it very useful, though expensive and tend to go though the trouble of making it plus. My ace in the hole for going up against tough bosses. I imagine that it tastes like Maloxx or Pepto Bismol because it has a kind of chalky appearance. It's not solid, but it kind of looks "chalky" compared to other potions.

Shield Restore Potion - Since you put it on your sheild, I do not think it is meant for consumption. It works to heal wounds, but I imagine it as a topical application. I imagine that it smells (and potentially tastes) greasey. It's meant to flow into the cracks of your shield, then harden or something, so I imagine it being a oil-like solution. Or at least, if I had to describe it in fan fiction, I'd probably use that because it's probably a more creative explaination than most would use, since it looks like grape-berry soda.

So, have any of you imagined the tastes of potions?

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I think this is very creative and good. I've never really wondered what they taste like. Though in TP, I got the impression that they tasted bad, because of the way Link drinks them. He acts like it's disgusting.

Especially with the potion Coro makes.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
It actually does make sense because remember what the potion lady in Skyward Sword said about them? "I know they taste kind of funny..." And rusty mushrooms would taste funny.

I'm not going to lie, every time I think drinking a potion I gag every time cause I think of the bugs and etc thats in it lol

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
Everytime I get link to drink a stamina potion I think of mountain dew lol. The used to be my game fuel of choice back when i used to pull all nighters.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I've never really thought about what the potions tasted like myself either. I just always liked the colors especially the red one, since it's my favorite color.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I always imagined that the potions in LOZ would have a thick texture and taste kind of like a very diluded fruit punch or something along those lines. Sort of like liquid medicines but not as bitter-tasting. Then again seeing as how mushrooms are used in the conceiving of potions I could be way off......

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
When I think of potions I think of stuff like casper oil. stuff you are forced to take but that tastes terrible. I sometimes think about it vaguely by the color of a potion, so many of them would be a sweet juice-like mixture, but I never really thought about how they might taste from a practical standpoint.

Ok I'm gonna go with that red and green potions taste aweful :/ shield potion probably tastes like metal. And oxygen potion probably is just water. -.-

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
That's very detailed. I've never really thought about the flavor until I heard Bertie (Potion Shop Owner) said her potions might taste a bit funny.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Quite believable guesses if I do say so myself...only I dont think mushrooms can get rusty. Metal rusts. Fungi doesnt. And lol, how does he know what mogma "something" tastes like? I always have to chuckle to myself when I hear "this tastes like crap", because the only way you could logically say that is if you've tasted crap before. :lol:

I've never really thought about that before; you have some interesting opinions and they sound like realistic guesses.
Actually when I was a kid I thought the red potion tasted like cherry Kool-aid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom