• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Fixing" Final Smashes in Super Smash Bros. 4

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
GenGame has a recent article on the topic of "Retooling the Final Smash", the uber move for KOs a character possesses after breaking a Smash Ball. Some are not a fan of this execution as seen in Brawl, or the entire concept of a super attack altogether. What could be done to the Final Smash mechanic in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS? Whether it be the acquisition of the move, how it is used or when it can, there's always room for improvement...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I thought the final smashes were fun. I loved how the battle would just stop and become a mad scramble for the Smash Ball, it's like the Tank in Left 4 Dead; as soon as that appears, everything just goes crazy! As for the smashes themselves, again, thought they seemed fine. Not every smash needs to be perfectly balanced and be the same, that'd be boring, but I found the awesome smashes, like Marth's guaranteed kill, were easy to dodge whereas the harder to dodge ones didn't hit as hard.

So, I don't think they need 'fixing' but if they can improve it then I'm all for that! I hope Marth's stays the same though, I loved that one. I'd say Ike's too but I dunno if he'll even be in the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, gone with the Smash Ball. I am, quite frankly, tired of bumrushing for that OP item. It breaks the flow of the game - even worse than Hyrule Temple - and it just makes things incredibly unfair. That's all my problems. I'm okay with Final Smashes being OP, but don't make the flow of the game break because a smash ball spawned. :/

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How does the Smash Ball break the flow of the game?

Link and Ike are SHFFLing, wavedashing, perfect shielding, approaching, etc.
*smash ball appears*
Link and Ike just dash for smash ball. :yes:

Breaks the flow of the game. Even if you're playing a casual match against bots with all items on, as soon as that Smash Ball appears the CPUs immediately start rushing for it. Again I understand why, but it hurts the flow of the game for me. It's the same thing with food, only food isn't terribly overpowered.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Lol wavedashing. And you say the Smash Ball is broken. :lol:

That's part of the dynamics. It's a race to the finish; first come, first served. It's the same with any item, really. It's all part of what separates Smash from the rank and file.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Lol wavedashing. And you say the Smash Ball is broken. :lol:
No, the Smash Ball isn't broken, but it breaks the flow of the game. At any rate, at least it isn't an exclusive, "first come first serve" item. \_O_/ (just my opinion)

But even if the mechanics don't change, I'll be content in turning it off. That's why item switch exists, after all.

The final smashes could be a little more fair I think. Or at least getting to them be a little more fair. Whenever I play Kirby I have no chance to get it before everyone else and every else's finals are better than his.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Honestly if you think it breaks the flow of the game your playing to seriously. There is also the fact that the fight is still going on Ive played with friends and we fought over the smash ball so much that it went away it encurges more risky playing and makes things more intresting.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly if you think it breaks the flow of the game your playing to seriously. There is also the fact that the fight is still going on Ive played with friends and we fought over the smash ball so much that it went away it encurges more risky playing and makes things more intresting.

Yeah I do play Smash too seriously. That's how I get my fun out of it. My little brother and I push each other to our limits, and we laugh and say "good game" just as if we were in the arcade. That may not be Sakurai's intent with the games, but that's how I play. :/

Again, even if the Smash Ball isn't changed whatsoever, it doesn't TRULY impact me because we can always turn it off.

Majora's Cat

How about that
[video=youtube;M1NebBaQ8ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1NebBaQ8ow[/video]

The video above displays every Final Smash in the game. It's plain to see that some are more powerful than others. After all, it's difficult for HAL Labs and Nintendo to make the Final Smashes balanced in power just as it's difficult to balance all the characters in the game. I am a general supporter of Smash Balls and items in general; I find them to be a fun novelty when they're turned on, but I am also a serious enough player to know when to turn them off and have a battle uninfluenced variables like items. Also, getting to the Smash Ball and keeping others away is an accomplishment in itself and should be rewarded, although there is blatant unevenness in this method on large maps such as Hyrule Temple and New Pork City.

Two of the most obvious divides in the potency of Final Smashes are the automatic vs. manual attacks and OHKO vs. Percent Damage. Manual attacks are usually pretty powerful, as long as control is easy and attacks are powerful. For example, Sonic and Snake's Final Smashes. Instantaneous Final Smashes are usually OHKO's and deal high Percent Damage, but are limited in the number of opponents they're able to effect. With so many different kinds of Smashes, it's only natural for people to compare them and rank them like they do characters on the Tier List.

The thing is, they're hard to compare. You could make all the Final Smashes manual control or OHKO or whatever and place them all in the same category so they work similarly, but that also makes Final Smashes dull. Competitive players can just turn off Final Smashes, and new players will be drawn into the game by the variety of Smashes. Truthfully, I like the system the way it is.

I quite like the Smash Ball. I'd rather that they include it in the game and make it so you can turn it off, as demonstrated in Brawl, instead of removing it all together. I do think that some fine tuning of the actual final smashes needs to happen. As someone already mentioned, it's harder to get to the Smash Ball and break it with Kirby, and even when you do it's so incredibly easy to dodge his final smash.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
What I hope Nintendo does is allow for you to choose from a variety of final smashes, like in the MvC games (kind of). That would allow for more variety and choice, depending on your playstyle of who your opponents are. For example, Toon Link could choose between his current Triforce smash or something else, like creating three AI climes (ie using the Four Sword) or maybe flood the entire stage (WW). That would just make things more interesting.

Nintendo may actually be doing this, in fact. I'm sure that they're keeping Final Smashes, as Saki's used hers in the video. But did anyone notice how Megaman had so many freaking smash attacks to choose from? Even with the direction and neutral Bs, the shield (maybe the leaf shield is his shield? Idk) and a throw (the picking up Mario thing), it still seems like a lot. So Nintendo may be going for this variety thing.

And of course, they should keep it optional, to allow for more competitiveness.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd rather they do away with smash balls...but if not, make smash balls an ordinary item. The way it was is very flawed.

Player 1: *Hits the smash ball 3 times*

Player 2: *hits it once and gets it*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom