• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD Fix the dang harp

Skyward Sword HD

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
While I have my problems with Skyward Sword, I never had many issues with the motion controls like a lot of people do. I generally found them decently responsive and fairly intuitive. However, when it came to playing the harp, I found the controls were very unresponsive and that particular aspect of the game was incredibly awkward, even for someone with a great sense of rhythm.

I really hope they improve the harp this time around to make it less awkward. The relatively high responsiveness of the gyro in the joycons should help, and playing handheld or with a pro controller should make it a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
The harp in general just felt like an unnecessary inclusion to me. The fact that you used each song once just made it seem like they were trying to bring back the Ocarina of Time and Windwaker without realizing why those existed in the first place. And yes, it’s quite possibly the worst controlling “thing” in the franchise.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
My only problem with the harp was it didn't tell you how they wanted you to play it, so I kept doing slow legato glissandos when they wanted quick tenuto glissandos, didn't figure it out till I watched a YouTube video of the lumpy pumpkin theme

MW7

The ability to play without motion controls hopefully solves any issues. I once had to end a playthrough because I was playing with a Wii sensor bar that was not perfect. I could compensate and play fine through the rest of the game but had to stop entirely once I got the harp.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I am wondering how the harp is going to work without motion controls, like what button is it going to be mapped to.
Maybe a push the button shown on screen thing? Like you had to do with the ocarina?

The only issues I had with the harp was at the bar. Never really cared for it though. But to be honest, no instrument as bad as playing the damn pipes in ST!

MW7

I seem to remember it being much more manageable with the fancy 3ds microphone at least
It was even worse on ds!? I only played on the 3ds and thought it was manageable but actually harder than anything else in the game once you got to the more complicated songs. It just fundamentally didn't translate well. On a real flute you'd be using different fingers for different holes and not sliding a single finger to cover every hole which is what the stylus is like.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I had a ton of trouble with microphone blowing sequences when I was younger, but that was just because I had no clue where the mic was.

Tbh, I don't recall ever having trouble with the harp in SS. It wasn't NEARLY as bad as the dumb wolf howling in TP, I just skipped all of those because I DON'T CARE enough to put up with it. But I actually did kinda enjoy playing the harp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom