• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fishing in Zelda

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am posting this thread because playing Link's Awakening has reminded me; I really hate fishing in Zelda games. I hate it in all of them that feature it. It was terribly annoying in OoT, I didn't enjoy it in TP, I completely ignored it in MM, and now in LA I am not having fun trying to fight the RNG to find the right fish for the seashells. The act of fishing itself is not fun in any Zelda game. BotW is the only Zelda with good fishing because its not a minigame. I like fishing in games like Animal Crossing, but aside from BotW it has never been done in a way that I liked in a Zelda game.

I wouldn't shed a tear if they never added it to a Zelda game again. If they have to, I'd prefer it be completely optional like in MM so I don't have to put up with it for heart pieces and so on. What about you guys? Do you like it? Do you want it to keep returning?

I typically like fishing in video games, because it's like the ultimate distraction. Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Princess had the best fishing mechanics, in my opinion. Both of those games also had a fishing journal, which was nice. I was a little bummed that Spirit Tracks didn't have fishing in any capacity since I liked PH's fishing so much, and ST had a lot of areas that would have been great for fishing.

Mido

Version 1
It seems we stand at opposite ends of the pond on this one, my friend! :sweat:

While fishing certainly is not the main course of any Zelda game, I have always enjoyed the fishing experiences in each game that offers it, although I can understand why these experiences become tedious if a certain goal is locked behind the activity. But alas, I am here to talk about my love for the Zelda Fishing Experience.

In OOT, I always enjoyed trying different strategies to catch the largest fish, and it was the main thing my cousin and I would play when we would play the game together. For TP, the fishing hole might be my favorite part of the game what with the serene music and equally calming atmospere to boot. Overall, I enjoy the serenity that comes with the activity; but I can see where it becomes frustrating in the sense that it can be somewhat of a time sink. I would love for fishing to still be a common fixture, but I think you're right in that it would perhaps be best suited for an optional venture.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
It's pretty good in TP .......the whole of Hena's fishing hole . I liked the motion control feature that made fishing seem real.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Once I knew how to fish I started to like it. I don't really fish much after I got the main prize(s). The easiest way to fish is to toss a bomb and then collect the fish. But that doesn't really count as fishing LOl!

D

Deleted member 83535

From what I can tell, people either love or hate the fishing mini-games, most of my friends hate them.
Me, I love them. I find them relaxing and fun. Especially if there's a journal involved.
Since Link's Awakening added more fish, I wish they had added a journal as well. Personally, I'm bummed you can't fish a piranha nor an angler fry, as far as I know.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
From what I can tell, people either love or hate the fishing mini-games, most of my friends hate them.
Me, I love them. I find them relaxing and fun. Especially if there's a journal involved.
Since Link's Awakening added more fish, I wish they had added a journal as well. Personally, I'm bummed you can't fish a piranha nor an angler fry, as far as I know.
I liked the fishing rod in TP . Did you get the frog lure ? I'm working on it

D

Deleted member 83535

First time I played Twilight Princess was on the GameCube, I finished every quest. I think I also did the same on the Wii version, but didn't finish all roll goal games.
Started the Wii U version recently but must admit I got bored very quickly.

So, yes, I got the frog lure in two versions at least ^^.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think id prefer fishing to be optional but if they had to put it in VISUAL fishing not a lil chime that youre nesr a fish...

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Fishing is very off and on for me. I think it was fine in OoT and LA, but it’s otherwise been horrible.

LAs was a nice distraction but that’s all it was, I actually quite enjoyed it in the remake though

OoTs was a somewhat relaxing way to kill time, and you never really spent a whole lot of time there.

TPs was absolutely horrendous, and I’m not just saying that because of how much I dislike TP. I will give them one thing, having a fishing mini game where the only animation is link pivoting his arm like a damn robot is an amazing way to showcase how little you care about the game you’re making. I can’t believe this even got passed Nintendo quality control, this is what the animation should look like in the games beta phase, not the final product.

PH had one that was way too physically tiring, otherwise it was fine. I enjoyed how you didn’t have to go out of your way to go fishing, they usually came straight to you.

and I dont really consider BotW to really have fishing. Even then it’s incredibly annoying when you’re trying to get a fish, only for you to run out of stamina in the middle of a lake. Combine that with the fact that Link swims so slowly and you have the most tedious fishing in the series

Fishing in OoT and TP sucked because they tried to be realistic, LA did it perfectly by making it look like an actual minigame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom