• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

First time Zelda player; very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
update 2: things have been going steadily downhill since my first update. ALttP is doing the same thing that TP did, which is giving me this large world to explore but preventing me from going where I want to go, and forcing me to search where the devs intended me to go (I'm freeing the maidens ATM). Why, after the fantastic experience upon first being set free on the overworld, would they do this?
Sounds like you're nitpicking the everliving **** out of the words "freedom" and "exploration." You will never get total freedom in a game. Never. There are always some sort of key and lock mechanisms in place. Even in sandbox titles. In ALttP, you arguably get the second to most freedom in a Zelda game. I'm not sure what game you've been playing if you think ALttP is locking you into a set order or anything like that.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Anyone who tries to pass off TP as a terrible game is just a butthurt Zelda fan that tries too hard at having opinions. Aside from Zelda II, it's difficult to say any game in the Zelda series is bad. Now that I got that out of the way, I honestly can't understand how someone would struggle that much with easy controls. Regardless if you prefer the Gamecube version, the Wii version isn't that complicated to pick up and play. Then to go out and say ALttP is too linear is just bull****. You're clearly expecting too much of anything and for that, nothing will ever satisfy you. That, or you're just a troll. These games are too good for you, so please stop looking through this series because you won't find anything.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
A Link to the Past is good if you dislike hand holding. Back in the day, I guess they wanted you to have to buy the books. On the newer side, A link Between Worlds tells you very little if you don't ask the right people in the game. Also, ALBW allows you to do the dungeons in the 2nd part of the game in any order you want.

Sorry to have angered some of you. All I'm doing is providing my honest opinions of the games, but I am known for not tempering my criticism with tact so apologies.

I'll finish ALttP (still having fun with it), then go on to OoT and then the original Zelda (and possibly MM). I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Oh, in case someone is wondering what games I DO love, I can name Planescape: Torment (for the story, as the gameplay is poor), Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (all around goodness), Fallout 1, and Dark Souls 1.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm not angry...just...blown away. You complain that aLttP has become too restrictive as you went on, but enjoy it's archaic combat system...I don't even...

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
You can do the dungeons in ALTTP in any order...how is it linear? Also you expected a bigger over world? The game was released in 1991.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The numbered temples are not at all required to be done in the order they are given. Once you obtain the hookshot, there are no more boundaries.

If you honestly didn't like TP, I can't promise you you'll like OoT. I wouldn't call TP an OoT 2, but they're fairly similar directionally, and OoT's controls are clunkier whle its characters, narrative, etc. are comparatively dull, along with a host of other differences which only serve to highlight OoT's age. But hey, to each his own. There's a certain rawness to the N64 Classic you might like.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
Sorry to have angered some of you. All I'm doing is providing my honest opinions of the games, but I am known for not tempering my criticism with tact so apologies.

I'll finish ALttP (still having fun with it), then go on to OoT and then the original Zelda (and possibly MM). I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Oh, in case someone is wondering what games I DO love, I can name Planescape: Torment (for the story, as the gameplay is poor), Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (all around goodness), Fallout 1, and Dark Souls 1.
You're as entitled to your opinions as any of us so don't feel bad.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Every Zelda game including and since WW has been too easy it is not anything exclusive to TP.

Every Zelda game that isn't Zelda II is relatively easy; you can argue that the original is harder than most others, but only due to its limiting controls.

The GameCube Zeldas, however, take "easy" to a whole new level. They pander to the casual crowd in every fashion, something that no other Zelda title does. Other ones in the series at least put up a decent fight.

We're not angry, just baffled at complaints that have no merit.

We're not angry, just baffled at complaints that have no merit.

Woah, back up the horses there, JJ. Has no merit? He is free to express whatever opinion he has. This is just a video game series and not everyone is going to like it, and that's fine. He's been respectful overall in this thread. It's okay to disagree with someone, and I certainly don't agree with a lot of his complaints, but lets not belittle them, please.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I would say that the DS Zeldas and even to an extent Skyward Sword are with Wind Waker and TP as the easiest games.

Why on earth are you apologizing? It's just a game series nothing to take seriously :) ALttP isn't my favorite either. Keep trying you never know, you might find something you like and if you don't well Zelda isn't the only thing we talk about ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom