• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

First time Zelda player; very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badjacoon

Corn fused
Just get A link to the past on your wii shop and see if you like it. After that then maybe like justacoolguy said, the series is just not for you! Like anything, if you have a bad taste in your mouth it can sometimes be hard to get over it. A link to the past is different enough that it might just have you giving Zelda games another chance.

update: I'm now playing ALttP and am really enjoying it! Too early to comment on the story, but the gameplay is definitely there, which I never could say for TP. It has a simplicity and elegance in design which I find very endearing. First thing I noticed is how they wisely integrated the "tutorial" into the story's setup so as to not waste any time in gripping the player. And then... glorious freedom! Quickly found a shop that sold bombs which allowed me to explore a bunch of secret places, then I got the bow, and am now on my second dungeon. All within an hour or so of starting the game. This is what video games should be all about.

Also, I had no idea whatsoever that the Binding of Isaac (a game I adore) was so blatantly derivative of this game (the dungeons in any case). My mind is blown.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
update: I'm now playing ALttP and am really enjoying it! Too early to comment on the story, but the gameplay is definitely there, which I never could say for TP. It has a simplicity and elegance in design which I find very endearing. First thing I noticed is how they wisely integrated the "tutorial" into the story's setup so as to not waste any time in gripping the player. And then... glorious freedom! Quickly found a shop that sold bombs which allowed me to explore a bunch of secret places, then I got the bow, and am now on my second dungeon. All within an hour or so of starting the game. This is what video games should be all about.

Also, I had no idea whatsoever that the Binding of Isaac (a game I adore) was so blatantly derivative of this game (the dungeons in any case). My mind is blown.
Seems like you've found your niche within this series. Good thing about Zelda games is that they offer tons of variety - no two games are alike. I prefer the more open 3D story based games in the franchise, but everyone has their preference. I would suggest highly that you play A Link Between Worlds after. It's basically the spiritual sequel to AlttP.

Ocarina of Time is the most influential game for its time, and the game still holds up very well to this day. Yes, the fairy, Navi, can be annoying with wanting to offer hints, but the game isn't "dumbed down" by any means.

I suggest trying Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past for that classic Zelda feeling. Parts of the overworld aren't barred off until you complete a dungeon as they were in Twilight Princess.

While Majora's Mask is by far the most unique Zelda experience, it isn't very accessible. I don't think you should try it as your second Zelda game.

A Link to the Past's overworld and dungeons are phenomenal. The game may not be as open as the NES original, but it's better because of it. If you're a fan of dungeons, you will love A Link to the Past. As far as I'm aware, it has the most dungeons of any Zelda game. It is a bit light on side quests, though.

I agree with JC about trying A Link Between Worlds after beating A Link to the Past. It's a refinement of the gameplay of the SNES game; my one complaint is the second half of the game features overworld sections. They're better explained and justified than in Twilight Princess, however.

Wait, what? How is A Link to the Past linear in any way? There are so many different routes you can take to beat the game.
I personally find it linear because your told where to go (keep in mind I am ok with that, since I get lost pretty easy) you can't do or go certain places without specific items or triggering events (all Zeldas and plenty of rpgs are like that) still its a good game to recommend to anyone and there's plenty to explore in the meantime

To Druid, glad your enjoying ALttP, its a solid title in the franchise. Would love to hear what you think of the other games you play too when ya get the chance

To A Link in Time: actually the original Zelda has a whopping 18 dungeons, 9 in the first and 9 completely different and more challenging ones in the 2nd. I like that Zelda doesn't have a traditional, set number of dungeons game per game. :)

Djinn

and Tonic
Aww, I really like Twilight Princess. Although I agree it is definitely not the most iconic Zelda experience ever. Most would steer you towards Ocarina of Time, but I also think wind Waker is just a really fun game that does not have the annoyingly slow start that TP has. It really does take a while to really get into TP, with that lengthy intro area and all those parts as a wolf just sort of bring the early parts of the game down quite a bit.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I personally find it linear because your told where to go (keep in mind I am ok with that, since I get lost pretty easy) you can't do or go certain places without specific items or triggering events (all Zeldas and plenty of rpgs are like that) still its a good game to recommend to anyone and there's plenty to explore in the meantime

I guess I was thinking about the different ways to go through the dungeons and forgot that they were numbered in the Dark World :goodness:. My bad.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Twilight Princess isn't really the best title in the series -- in fact, it's one of the weakest -- but I still found it to be a good game overall. Granted, I played the GameCube version, so that may have helped it. I've never played the Wii version, but I have no intent to because the game wasn't made for motion controls, so quite naturally they're only going to cause harm in such a case.

Anyway, glad to see you're enjoying A Link to the Past. After you're finished with that, I recommend going straight to Ocarina of Time; its overworld unfortunately shares a lot of the same problems that Twilight Princess' does (though fortunately to a much lesser degree), but the core gameplay & dungeons are top-notch, especially after the first half. Do note that it's not quite as open as ALttP, however.

Majora's Mask is arguably the best game in the series to date. While it also is more linear in nature, it's not as bad about it as Ocarina, and it has incredible level design, especially in the dungeons. The 3 day system was a turn-off for some people, but I enjoyed it, as it gave a sense of urgency, and it's ultimately the reason why the sidequests were capable of being so fleshed-out -- and due to them being so fleshed-out, the story is actually very well-written, which no other Zelda game can truly boast as of yet. Certain games in the series have good stories, but Majora's Mask is the only one to have a great story. It's a fantastic experience all-around.

The Minish Cap is also a great entry to pick up. Not only is it one of the best games on the Game Boy Advance, it's one of the best games in the Zelda franchise. One of the first things you're likely to notice is that it actually incorporates some of the elements usually only found in the 3D Zeldas, like climbing & rolling (the only completely 2D Zelda to have these, in fact), and the overworld is very reminiscent of A Link to the Past's with the way it's designed. It's not even close to being as open as the latter, but hey, it's a handheld game, it can get away with it. The dungeons are also really good (again, incorporating elements usually only found in 3D Zeldas), quite possibly being the best top-down dungeons in the series to date. It's a blast to play.

Normally I'd recommend Skyward Sword, but I'm a bit hesitant to with your statements about disliking the controls of the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Still, I'd say give it a shot, as its controls are substantially better, due to them actually being made from the ground-up as opposed to being translated over from GameCube controls. Where TP's controls are basically waggle-to-win, SS's are finesse with directional freedom and pinpoint accuracy. For an idea of what to expect from them, watch this video.

But there's more to the game than just the controls, of course. Skyward Sword ultimately falls short in certain categories, such as the flying segments and a linear nature, but it has some of the best & most inventive level design in the series, and it's the first game in the series to actually provide a level of depth to the swordplay (though don't expect Devil May Cry levels of it). For all its shortcomings, I enjoyed the hell out of it, largely because it did a lot of things I'd wanted to see in the series for a long-ass time (precision swinging in the combat, a smoother transition between overworld & dungeon, more in-depth resource management, an economy that's actually good for once... just general improvements to many series-wide problems).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Normally I'd recommend Skyward Sword, but I'm a bit hesitant to with your statements about disliking the controls of the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Still, I'd say give it a shot, as its controls are substantially better, due to them actually being made from the ground-up as opposed to being translated over from GameCube controls. Where TP's controls are basically waggle-to-win, SS's are finesse with directional freedom and pinpoint accuracy. For an idea of what to expect from them, watch this video.
If JJ's video didn't help you at all in regards to SS' controls, all you need to do is watch THIS following video. It indicates SS' accuracy as far as motion controls are concerned; they are not perfect in that it isn't full 3D motion like virtual reality, but they are damn good at what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom