• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS First time playing, ran out of time in 2 Temples. Normal?

Hey guys, this is my first time playing MM, and I ran out of time in Temple #2 and Temple #3. I was wondering if it's normal to run out of time on your first play through? Yes I used the slowed down time before anyone asks :D.

I'll admit I underestimated how long it would take me so I was already near the 2nd day when I started temple #2. I will also add I was looking for the ferries and finishing the temples at the same time. I think the ferries slowed me down the most. I had the boss key and I could have easily finished the temple but I mistakenly tried to look for the last ferry and ran out of time. I was very pissed lol the first time.

The 3rd temple I just found annoying, and while I did clear it first try I didn't collect all the ferries fast enough, so I had to replay it again ( granted not entirely ).

I feel like a scrub, typically I clear Zelda games pretty fast. Even so, I feel like the time management is this games biggest strength, but also its biggest weakness. Still loving it regardless, outside of a few rage inducing moments. :D

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Naw your not a scrub, it's bound to happen i allocated a whole cycle to the Stone tower temple and almost ran outta time (friggin confusion, blech) what you need to remember is even though you went for those fairies and thought balls now i've lost time you haven't because even if you don't finish the temple those fairies WILL stay on your map, not to mention the Boss Key and Compass are still yours. If you feel unsure use a whole cycle to learn the layout of each temple. I will say this each boss will take a differing amount of time so take into account the length of the temple and the boss fight. From my own i'd say.

maybe 2-3 ingame hours for Odolwa.
Full day for Goht (dude seems to enjoy pooping bombs).
Day and a half for Gyorg cuz boy does he get annoying.
Day 1/2 - 2 days for Twinmold cuz damn does that thing get annoying.

The fairies issue is somewhat easier if you are doing a temple you haven't done and the fairies are thus not marked on the map. When ever entering a room put on the Great Fairy Mask it will alert you to any hidden fairoes.

Also for anything you are unsure of (temple, A&K quest, aliens, etc) spend some time learning about things that bomber notebook can help.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
This was my 10th time playing Majora's Mask when I played MM3d and I underestimated how quickly I could do Great Bay and Stone Tower and ran out of time on both temples. I was even using a walkthrough on those temples because I'm more familiar with the beginning of the game. I also didn't know how to defeat the bosses because the fights are different from the N64 version so that added to me running out of time. So, I guess underestimating how long the temples take can happen to anyone. :P

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Probably the best thing you could do is spend a cycle getting to the halfway point of the dungeon (typically the dungeon Item) then re-do the cycle not only will you have the dungeon item (which should allow skipping of some tedious areas) but you now have 3 more days to complete the 2nd half of the dungeon.

Thanks for the replies, makes me feel a bit better :D. The second I know I made a mistake not starting fresh, but that 3rd temple just felt long and awkward. I just watched IGN's opinions on the Temples ( avoiding the last since I haven't beat that one yet ), and they specifically mentioned how that temple is pretty bad. I would have to agree over all. I think forced swimming kind of sucks, and yeah the aiming mechanic of the Zora is quite a pain.

I have found all the bosses to be really easy ( but really fun ), but I'm noticing at least IGN and a few other people found them to be challenging. Hopefully all goes well on Temple #4 :).

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I will say do NOT rely on IGN for ratings they do that for popularity i've noticed. In Great Bay it's a follow the pipes kind of thing and current switching. Temple 4 is fun but really irritating if you can't figure it out.

Also save doing the fairies for the Tower after you've done the boss.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Naw your not a scrub, it's bound to happen i allocated a whole cycle to the Stone tower temple and almost ran outta time (friggin confusion, blech) what you need to remember is even though you went for those fairies and thought balls now i've lost time you haven't because even if you don't finish the temple those fairies WILL stay on your map, not to mention the Boss Key and Compass are still yours.

Ehm not to be a party pooper here but with the Great Bay temple I got the boss key but ran out of time. I saved, returned to the first day and went back but the boss key was gone. I had to pick it up again fighting that gekko.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
hm wierd but why do you keep the map or at least the image of the map and the locations of the fairies?
I know. Fortunately I got the ice arrows so I went directly to the Gekko room to get that key back. All the times I ran out of time I made sure that at least I got the items needed so it would be easier to progress in the dungeons.

No its perfectly normal. I nearly ran out of time twice in Great Bay. During Snowhead I decided this, I'd get any fairies I'd immediately see as I go through the dungeon, then once I've defeated the boss I'll save, reset then go back and get the rest during another cycle.:) Besides it can take some players days, even weeks to get through a dungeon without a time limit. (ahem myself) So don't worry about it, besides Snowhead can waste a lot of your time, when your constantly falling and some of those fairies are hard to find when you don't know think to look through the lens of truth on your first run

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Snowhead Irks me to bath, bed and beyond (where one day i hope to achieve a universal remote) because of that freaking pillar in the central room many a cycle was lost due to that pillar

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yeah that's what I did too. I just went for the boss and killed the boss and then save and after this reset and go back to get the fairies or gekko's. Especially with the items already in hand you can get through a dungeon much easier. I ran out of time in Stone Tower. I got the light arrows and immidiatly saved and reset. And then the whole dungeon was way easier to beat on the second run. First I went straight for the boss and then for the fairies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom