• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

[First Person Shooters] Camping - Is It Rude, or Just Part of the Game?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A debate that raised out of the blooming first person shooting genre is whether or not camping--staying in a specific position for extended amounts of time to gain the upperhand--is a legitimate tactic. There are so many differing opinions about camping, and some are even hypocritical in context.

I myself have done my fair share of camping, primarily in Turok Rage Wars for the Nintendo 64 as well as the wide array of Call of Duty games for 360/PS3/PC/Wii U. In spite of that, though, I generally hate campers. I feel that if they should do anything, they should rush the enemy team instead of just waiting on their damn lawnchairs with popcorn, occasionally pressing the trigger. Yeah, camping indeed is part of the game. Yeah, people WILL do whatever they have to in order to win. Doesn't make it anymore enjoyable, though! I counter-camp when needbe, and I'll camp if my team is sucking incredibly badly and I feel confident in myself. But otherwise? Nope, I don't camp and I spite those who do. :I

But, how do you stand on the matter? Is camping legitimately part of the game and something people have to get used to, or do you consider it cheating? Maybe you have a different view of it?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Since there really isn't any official rulebook for online shooters I'd say it's a perfectly legitimate tactic to use. I'm the kind of person that really despises when people complain about players using a certain perk or tactic then kill the player, partially because for one it's not something explicitly forbidden to do within the game and for two the whiners never complain about camping or certain perk combinations until somebody kills them with it. Which makes me think that it's really just a cheap excuse for not paying attention or having their e-peen too high.

However, it's a different story when it boils down to exploiting and hacking. These kinds of things are not allowed within the game officially stated by the developers and can result in a ban from the game. Complaining about these kinds of tactics is perfectly fine since there is a higher power that actually says it's not allowed. But as far as camping goes no, it's really just as silly of an argument to me as saying rushing is for noobs.

It's just a game anyway and the point is to have fun & win, which can be achieved by either camping or rushing. It's not like these styles don't have any counter to them, hacking & exploiting can't be countered in anyway so it's unfair while to counter a camper you just have to wait him out and vice versa with a rusher.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I feel it in a few different ways.

I only own Modern Warfare 2 so I don't have the experience in too many FPS games when it comes to camping, but generally speaking camping bugs the crap out of me. Even when I do it I get annoyed because usually I end up sitting there and the fighting is going on somewhere else which sucks the fun out of the game.

Now I have been successful at camping before. Usually it's easy on maps where I snipe a lot, and that's because sniping usually takes some set up. But since it gives away position easily, generally speaking, I won't spend the entire game in one place just sniping away.

So overall, I don't like it much, and I don't try to practice it, but when sniping it becomes necessary usually.

Now is it legitimate? Yes it is. Is it rude and somewhat cheap? Yes it is. So I won't say that it's "Wrong to do" but it's wrong to do if you get my drift.

Camping is a legitimate tactic which should not be punished or scorned. In real life, snipers are technically “campers” as well; during war any tactic will be taken for survival. Whether this means leaving cover and rushing or staying low and killing off enemies from a camp point depends on the situation.

Camping is a double edged sword. While it’s an easy method with which to dispatch enemies, killing several foes or gives off a player’s location forcing them to arm a better defense against opponents ware of their position or relocate to a different strategic point.

I myself only rely on camping in modes where the stakes are high be it a race to the bomb scenario with terrorists and counter terrorists or the rare mode where one kill leaves you on the sidelines for the entire game.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
It's both. It's not cheating, but it's not exactly very sporting either. You can only really legislate behavior in a situation like that by preventing it from occurring in the first place.

Kazumi

chagy
Personally, I have absolutely no issues with it. In fact, some FPS or game modes of FPS are all about camping. One game that I really like to play called Red Orchestra has this one server where everyone is a sniper, and you play in maps that are designed exclusively for sniping; you can't even get to the other side of the map where the enemy team is. Firstly this is cool because it mimics the real-life sniping battles in the city of Stalingrad during the siege in WWII, secondly it's cool because it's all about camping. You must find a good hiding spot where you can locate and pick off your enemies without getting killed yourself. This can lead to very long, intense minutes of literally no one firing; everyone just sitting in wait for the right moment. Then suddenly, bam, the sound of a high-caliber bolt-action rifle firing, and someone is dead. Incredibly fun.

On the other hand, there are games like Call of Duty which are much more casual and are really just arcade shooters. I really don't have an issue with camping in casual games such as this, because it's incredibly easy to deal with. As soon as the "camper" kills someone, or so much as fires his gun, everyone knows where he is. He either has to move or face the wrath of my SMG. So really, there isn't much camping going on if said camper has to move after every single kill. I find that the people who actually get mad about this tactic are the people that get enraged to easily and don't know how to properly deal with the problem.

I always felt that camping and rushing were part of the same coin. You see both in real combat scenarios.

However, it really depends on the actual game scenario. CTF and territorial games (Battlefield 2/3) are more camping friendly than CoD. But to me both are legit.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I don't have a problem with it. Yeah, it sucks sometimes, but there are ways to get campers, or get around campers, even if that means assembling the entire team to take the camper down.

Mido

Version 1
Since there really isn't any official rulebook for online shooters I'd say it's a perfectly legitimate tactic to use. I'm the kind of person that really despises when people complain about players using a certain perk or tactic then kill the player, partially because for one it's not something explicitly forbidden to do within the game and for two the whiners never complain about camping or certain perk combinations until somebody kills them with it. Which makes me think that it's really just a cheap excuse for not paying attention or having their e-peen too high.

However, it's a different story when it boils down to exploiting and hacking. These kinds of things are not allowed within the game officially stated by the developers and can result in a ban from the game. Complaining about these kinds of tactics is perfectly fine since there is a higher power that actually says it's not allowed. But as far as camping goes no, it's really just as silly of an argument to me as saying rushing is for noobs.

It's just a game anyway and the point is to have fun & win, which can be achieved by either camping or rushing. It's not like these styles don't have any counter to them, hacking & exploiting can't be countered in anyway so it's unfair while to counter a camper you just have to wait him out and vice versa with a rusher.

Sums it up right here.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Well if everyone camps then nothing happens so its highly annoying. Use it if you will but if youre within eyeshot of me, I will probably whack you if you stay there for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom