• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U First Issue I Have with Wind Waker HD

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
So, I'm to the Forest Haven, and I noticed something that really bothers me about this game. Namely, the item get animation. The outline of Link's body becomes... different looking then it does otherwise. Almost like it's an entirely different graphical style.

Has anyone else noticed this and does it bother you?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I have noticed it but it doesn't bother me. I kind of like it, truth be told.

Some of the pre-release screenshots showed that effect and it led to a whole bunch of people claiming the game had abandoned cel-shading, or at least had scaled it back. However, people who know a lot more about what cel-shading actually is have explained in previous threads that this particular effect is due to the models having more polygons than the original game which leads to more natural looking shadows and a less cartoon-like look. At least, that's how I understand it from what I've been reading.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Some of the pre-release screenshots showed that effect and it led to a whole bunch of people claiming the game had abandoned cel-shading, or at least had scaled it back. However, people who know a lot more about what cel-shading actually is have explained in previous threads that this particular effect is due to the models having more polygons than the original game which leads to more natural looking shadows and a less cartoon-like look. At least, that's how I understand it from what I've been reading.

And it's BS, because The Wind Waker HD should look like this:

A-Hat-in-Time-Co-op.png

I noticed that, too. From what Cfrock said, the reason for this is due to the models having more polygons compared to the original Gamecube version. This explains why the item get animation looks a little off.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
My only gripe is the damn aiming...I can't believe more people aren't complaining over that. Using the right control stick is just awful >.<

My only gripe is the damn aiming...I can't believe more people aren't complaining over that. Using the right control stick is just awful >.<

It's not so bad. It does pretty much force you to keep the bow on R, though, which is the spot I'd like for my boomerang to be on. But I won't complain about something so insignificant.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
It never really bothered me. I did notice it, but it's just the lighting changing to present the item over the background more and it's only there for a few seconds, so it didn't bother me.

Also:

While it did bother me at first, I got used to it after some time. And if you think about it, the move camera stick still moves the camera and the move Link stick still moves Link. It's just not usual to the original way and it takes some time.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I honestly don't understand why you guys don't like aiming with the right stick. What's wrong with it? The stick is a good, sturdy one, and a vast improvement on the sticks for the N64 or the GameCube. It doesn't stick, it doesn't slide, it moves exactly how much you want and your thumb doesn't slide off it (like it can sometimes do on something like the 3DS' Circle Pad). Using the right stick to aim also frees you up to move around while using things like the Bow, another improvement on the original game in my book.

I don't see what the problem is.

It's not so bad. It does pretty much force you to keep the bow on R, though, which is the spot I'd like for my boomerang to be on. But I won't complain about something so insignificant.

I use my Bow on X and always have except for during the Fishman Shooting game when it is automatically mapped to R. Again, I don't understand why aiming with the right stick forces you to use the Bow with R. As far as I can tell it makes no difference at all.

DarkestLink

I use my Bow on X and always have except for during the Fishman Shooting game when it is automatically mapped to R. Again, I don't understand why aiming with the right stick forces you to use the Bow with R. As far as I can tell it makes no difference at all.

Because we move the stick and press the buttons with our thumbs. So if I were to put my bow on X, I'd have to aim, let go of the control stick, reach for the button, and hope my enemy hasn't moved. In the original, I could aim, holding the button, and release it with precise accuracy when the enemy was in range. I could aim and fire at the same time.

In addition to that, the right control stick feels way too unnatural and it slides too much.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
You know there's Motion Controls right? The GamePad has a gyroscope and you can use that to aim. I DO put my Bow on R all the time though. It seems fitting.

DarkestLink

You know there's Motion Controls right? The GamePad has a gyroscope and you can use that to aim. I DO put my Bow on R all the time though. It seems fitting.

Yeah, I know. But the gyroscope is way too sensitive and unnatural to use.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1) The supposed art style change is really annoying; it's inconsistent to say the least and really isn't Wind Waker. Well, it's incorrect to say art style shift - it's the same style - but you understand my meaning aye. This is as bad as jagged edges in Skyward.

2) Aiming in any game is horrible with Wii U controllers.

DarkestLink

If they just kept the old aiming system, it would have been fine...I'm...so appalled that they didn't even give the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom