• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

First Exposure to Anime?

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
How did you get into anime? What kept you watching it? If you didn't keep watching it, what kept you from it?

I either started watching anime through on demand anime network recordings or watching Toonami late at night with my cousin. I had to be only 11 or 12, sometime a bit before I started going on ZD actually!

I was still in my single digits when I discovered Robotech. It was unlike anything I'd seen before, I was hooked.

Then I got into Cowboy Bebop, discovered what anime actually was and got hooked. Though I've found precious few anime better than Bebop.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Mainly Pokémon I suppose, as it was everywhere when I was a kid, but also Yu Gi Oh a bit later. But I never saw them as anime, just great cartoons. Didn't learn what anime was until much later

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I was just a small lad when pokemon, digimon, yugioh and dragon ball Z were the big anime on the block but then those came to pass. Later I'd discover Adult Swim's Saturday night anime such as Bleach, DRRR and Cowboy Bebop. Later in 2012 Toonami would return with Bleach still heading the lineup along with another favorite of mine; Deadman Wonderland. From there my Saturday morning cartoons became Saturday night anime. This was and still kind of is my source for all things anime. Introducing me to many I'd come to enjoy such as Trigun, Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man. The list goes on and on but the
TL;DR is it all started with Saturday Morning Cartoons like Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh and Dragon Ball Z

I'd watch Pokemon and Hamtaro on Cartoon Network as a kid, but I didn't really understand anime as a different type of show/animation than other cartoons. I didn't really get much exposure to it until high school because most of my friends were into anime so they invited me to the anime club after school. I'm not too big on anime because I don't like the tropes, but there are some good ones out there.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I like how you say 'exposed' as though anime were some kind of virus or contagion. Very fitting :rosa:

First time I saw anime was 1997. One of the first episodes of Dragonball Z came on late at night on Cartoon Network. I thought it was just another new show they had and it seemed cool so I started watching it. Piccolo best girl. Cartoon Network started showing more new shows that all had the same general art style, which is why I took notice of them. Not because I particularly liked that style but because I found it unusual for so many different cartoons to look so similar without coming from the same studio, like Hannah-Barbera cartoons did. The two anime that I recall most clearly were Tenchi Muyo and Ultimate Muscle.

Ultimate Muscle was a dumb show about alien professional wrestlers, and I watched it because it was like a goofier version of Dragonball Z. It has a pretty cool opening song, too. Tenchi Muyo was very different. It was about some high school kid and one day two alien women show up, one trying to escape the other, and they both end up living in this kid's house. One of the aliens was called Ryoko and she was the first cartoon woman I ever remember thinking was pretty. Every episode after that, a new alien woman would arrive at the house and start living with Tenchi, and I never really understood what the **** the show even was. Then I missed about two episodes and when I returned some of them were dead or gone or something and they were all in space and Ryoko was evil or something. I completely lost the thread of it all and just gave up. Turns out Tenchi Muyo falls under the umbrella of 'harem anime' so it's fun thinking that Cartoon Network showed such a thing to me when I was seven.

Pokémon came along after that and I watched it because everyone watched it. Pokémon was, to quote the kids', "the ****" and if you didn't watch the show you basically got bullied in school. So it was more or less required viewing, and I ****ing hated it. The Pokémon anime is so bad. Ash is such an unlikeable little ****, he's so goddamn bad at being a trainer, and it wasn't even funny like Dragonball Z or Ultimate Muscle were. I hated Pokémon and when the craze for the series was done I promptly never watched it ever again.

I think this is where the seed of my general dislike of anime stems from. Tenchi was meandering and impossible to comprehend if you missed anything at all, and Pokémon was boring, stuffed with filler, and often tried way too hard to be profound or emotional without doing any leg work to actually deliver. Because these shows all looked so similar in terms of art, I became wary of any anime. There was also the fact that most anime available to me was the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon (sorry Spirit), and Beyblade which all nakedly served to sell toys and card games I absolutely had no interest in ever touching. Anime was just some dumb, weird type of cartoon that existed to sell crap toys and games.

The only show I remember from that time that wasn't associated with a toy (at least, not to my knowledge) was CardCaptors, which I only watched a few episodes of, but for whatever reason I still recall one about The Loop card, in which the characters end up running down the same street over and over without ever reaching the end. Again, it was weird and spent a lot of time on flashy effects and I much preferred things like Courage the Cowardly Dog or Ed, Edd, n Eddy. I gave shows like Big O, Shin Chan, and Mobile Suit Gundam a chance but I don't think I ever saw more than two episodes of any of them.

In my teens a friend lent some DVDs to me of Escaflowne, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop. I watched maybe half of Bebop and didn't like it at all, and I gave them all back without even watching the other two. At some point, I don't recall exactly when, I watched Akira and thought the first half was fine, but the second half dropped off a ****ing cliff. Dragonball was decent, but Dragonball GT was really bad, and I'd even stopped watching Dragonball Z by the time Buu was turning people into chocolate. I saw some of One Piece, didn't like it, and made a point of avoiding Naruto and Bleach when they were big. I had made up my mind. Anime bad.

I still mainly think of anime as 'all flash, no substance' and I would say that I generally don't like it. It's rare that I see an anime which actually earns any of its emotional payoffs, or even tells a coherent story a lot of the time. Many of the common tropes are cringey and I think the main appeal of most of it is purely in the artwork, which isn't a selling point if you don't think 'anime' is a particularly good style.

In recent years, though, I have softened somewhat and opened myself up to the idea that each anime should be judged on its own merits and not as some ubiquitous whole. In that spirit I actually went to a cinema screening of Perfect Blue a couple of Halloweens ago. And it was great. It's a really good movie that made me feel uncomfortable and I would recommend it.

But yeah, that's the end of my 'It's 4am and I feel alone so I'm going to type a lot' autobiography. Keep it strong, ZD :rosa:

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
My best friend rented VHS tapes of Sailor Moon from Blockbuster and brought them over to my house. It was some time around 2nd grade. We were hooked after that and started making up our own stories with the characters which lead us to creating our OCs.

Ezlo

The Minish Craftsman
I used to be a big fan of DBZ, Pokémon, Beyblade, Doraemon, and Hamtaro when I was still in my single digits, although I did not have the concept of anime back then

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I have faint memories of seeing pokemon, yu-gi-oh, and dragon ball when I was super young, but when I got into my elementary age up to my middle school age, I straight up did not like anime for no real reason actually

I steered clear away from it for most of my young life, it wasn't until I was 15 that I began to be open to pockets of things [for instance my friend showed me ouran high school host club], that year was also when I saw a rerun of pokemon advance battle and battle frontier which would incidentally get me into pokemon not long after
though it was really when I was 18 and barley out of high school that I began to really dig out for anime on my own

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I technically started the way most people did; with my monster battling anime of choice (Yugioh originally, and then Pokemon afterwards). Though I wasn't really introduced to anime until middle school, when I found out that my local library had the entire series of Death Note manga, which I devoured quickly and with much joy. From there, I became aware more and more of anime, especially as my friends and siblings started to be introduced to it (or just be more open about it) as I got into high school. Though I admit to not actually watching much anime at any point in my life.

Kirino

Tatakae
I started, like a lot of people, with Cartoon Network shows like Dragon Ball, Yugioh, and Pokemon as a kid. In particular, I watched nearly every episode of Naruto growing up. It wasn't until a while later that I actually sought it out on my own rather than just watching what was on TV, and it was Death Note and then Code Geass that propelled me to branch out and really get into it. There was a phase where it was pretty much all I watched around middle school, and while I've definitely scaled it back significantly, I still watch it pretty regularly.

I still mainly think of anime as 'all flash, no substance' and I would say that I generally don't like it. It's rare that I see an anime which actually earns any of its emotional payoffs, or even tells a coherent story a lot of the time. Many of the common tropes are cringey and I think the main appeal of most of it is purely in the artwork, which isn't a selling point if you don't think 'anime' is a particularly good style.

I enjoy anime quite a bit, but I wouldn't really disagree with most of this. There are only so many that I would genuinely consider to be well-written and emotionally engaging, and many do tend to be trope-riddled, surface level, and over-the-top in a way that I can see being off-putting. That being said, it's a very diverse medium with various genres and styles, and with many outliers that defy general trends and stereotypes, though this fact can easily be obscured by how similar and repetitive many of them (especially the most popular ones) are.

Of course, most anime do tend to have shared characteristics and tropes beyond just their country of origin to the point that it makes sense to refer to them under a common label, such that one could like or dislike it in general. I could tell you why I like specific genres of anime or certain shows, but I'd be hard-pressed to tell you why I like "anime" as a whole, or even how I'd define it. I will say that most of the ones you listed are old-school shounen and action anime that I don't really care for myself, and which serve as a pretty limited sample size. At its broadest, though, it really is just animation from Japan, so I do think there's something there for everyone.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Pokemon and Digimon were my first exposures to Anime, I enjoyed them both. Dragonball Z was what really pulled me in though. From there I began watching reruns of Dragonball that would air before Dragonball Z on Toonami. I would occasionally watch Bleach but I never got very invested. I started watching Naruto at the perfect time - during The Chunin Exam arc, it was probably my favorite anime alongside Dragonball Z. I also enjoyed Inuyasha a lot.

So now we get to the drop off period for me, after about 7 years of watching those main animes that appealed to me, they all disappeared one by one. First Dragonball Z, then Inuyasha, finally Naruto. Dragonball GT was aired exclusively online, I didn't even know it existed while it was running (Good thing too, I wasn't missing much).

Naruto Shippuden eventually aired in the west in 2009, 3 years after the previous show was cancelled, but it was on Disney XD due to Toonami being defunct at the time. I was interested in Shippuden, but I quickly found that I couldn't find time to watch the episodes. It also felt so odd to me that it was being shown on a Disney channel; it was drastically different from any other show they had, and not in a good way. It always had the vibe that it didn't belong. The show didn't last long on Disney XD anyway, in 2010 they stopped showing new episodes. As far as I know, the English Dub for Shippuden still isn't complete, and the subbed version ended only 2 years ago.

Inuyasha abruptly ended without resolution when Toonami was still around. I heard nothing about the show for many years, so I assumed it was completely over, even though I knew the plot was left on a cliffhanger. It was only a few years ago I thought to myself, "I wonder if they ever finished Inyusha?" and that prompted me to look into it, finding Inuyasha: The Final Act. It is only 30 episodes long. Despite knowing there is a conclusion, I've yet to watch it for my closure.

So why did I stop watching Anime? Is it because I've grown out of it? No. I didn't start watching Anime due to peer pressure and to be cool. I discovered Pokemon, Digimon, and Dragonball Z before I was in Grade School and I enjoyed watching them. I'll admit Naruto was a recommendation from friends, but I ended up enjoying it. Then I noticed many others stopped watching Anime, but I still was watching it and liked it. Eventually I stopped too, but the only reason I stopped was because Toonami was cancelled. Anime is a diverse genre full of shows that can appeal to audiences of different ages, and different tastes. Originally I just wanted a cool action packed Anime, and Dragonball Z gave me that. By time I started watching Naruto I had actually begun to care about watching shows for the plot, and Naruto was filled with interesting plot developments. Inuyasha came on late at night, I was too young to be watching it, but it gave me re-assurence that Anime can be adult oriented too.

Now that I'm older, the main reasons I don't watch Anime is mainly because it's a time sink. I've considered re-watching Naruto and going into Shippuden, but that's like almost 300 episodes I'd have to watch - that'd be almost a year long commitment. At this point I only vaguely remember what Inuyasha was about, if I was going to watch Final Act, I'd need to get a refresher and re-watch the original Anime too.

Aside from it being time consuming, Anime usually gets bogged down with filler, and that keeps me away from new animes or ongoing ones. I think my experience with Anime here in the west shook my confidence in getting invested in ongoing Animes, because my mentality is they are there for awhile, then the show disappears for an indefinite amount of time, but eventually it comes back: so Anime is a rollercoaster of ups and downs that I'm not sure I want to step back onto again, although I do consider jumping back in a lot.

Last edited:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
My first cartoon was Winnie pooh and Mickey Mouse. At a later period of time I started watching Doraemon, Shin chan and pokemon. while I grew out of Doraemon and Pokemon I continued watching Shin chan as it was hilarious! Then came Ben 10( Alien force ,Ultimate Alien and Omni verse ), Gravity falls, Spiderman , Adventure time etc.

My first Manga series was Naruto. it came i n a channel called Animax. There was many good anime broad casted in that channel like My hero academia, Nisekoi, www. working
, Twin star Exorcists, The file of young kindaichi, seven deadly sins etc.
I stopped watching anime when Animax was banned in India. Due to vulgar humour : (

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom