• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

FirevsIce's Phoenixian GIMP Graphics

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Firice da Vinci's Phoenixian GIMP Graphics

Since I have retured after such a long hiatus, I have decided to reboot my graphics thread.:party:My old one is all the way on the second page, so why bump it?

I haven't made any graphics for about a year and a half, so I might be a little rusty. Here are three signatures that today for this amazing occasion.

Who is not aware of who this is?

Riki is the Herpon. Nuff said.

This is Sharon from Within Temptation. Doubt too many people know her.

To anyone willing to criticize me, have at it. If it's just a request you want, then just post it. I have no real format or prerequisites, so it can be as uninforamative or as detailed as you like. As far as specialties, I would say that it goes from signatures, to avatars, to failing at wallpapers, but I'll accept any request, as it is quite flattering to recieve them. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
yayyayayayayay another artist <3

I took the liberty of looking at some of your other works via the links provided within your signature, and I've gotta say you're a fantastic graphic artist! You've got a lot of talent, and you should certainly be proud of yourself. There were some things I saw, however, that could use improvement. I'll use two of the images you used as examples in your thread (your Cloud (#1) and Sharon (#2) sigs).

1.) The signature as a whole is very dark, and very dirty looking. Can sigs look dirty and come out fantastic? Absolutely! But you kind of missed the mark on that by making it too dark. I'm going to assume you put too much contrast in it? Or at least severely lowered the brightness? Either way, you should go at those settings a little easier, otherwise -- though bold -- they come out too dark and sometimes excessively grungey.

2.) Though the background and border on this are excellent, my main problem lies within the render herself. My issue is essentially the very opposite of the first signature: it's too light. Though I can see how it mostly fits in with the signature, overall her skin looks far too white. I would just take it down a notch, unless this is how the render initially was, then I completely understand. Otherwise, I'd work on adjusting contrast and brightness a little bit more.

On a positive note, I think your second example is absolutely perfect. And when I mean perfect, I mean I can't find any flaws about it. The lighting is spot on; the colors work wonderfully with one another; best of all, it all comes together in the end. If you could crank out signatures with precision and accuracy like in this one, then I have no doubts in my mind that you'll become an even better graphic artist than you are right now. Never give up hope!

Firice da Vinci

Sorry that it took a while for me to respond. I had school stuffles.

Oh I know her. She is my fellow countrymate :P Good to see you back ^^
You know Sharon? That's pretty awesome. Oh, and it's good to be back.

These are cool! Although I have to say I don't know any of them. :< But awesome work, Fire, you're really good.
Thanks for the compliments! But you really don't even know Cloud from Final Fantasy VII, one of the most popular RPG's of all time? You are a rare child. Very rare. (^^)

Nice work. These are great!
Arigato.

yayyayayayayay another artist <3

I took the liberty of looking at some of your other works via the links provided within your signature, and I've gotta say you're a fantastic graphic artist! You've got a lot of talent, and you should certainly be proud of yourself. There were some things I saw, however, that could use improvement. I'll use two of the images you used as examples in your thread (your Cloud (#1) and Sharon (#2) sigs).

1.) The signature as a whole is very dark, and very dirty looking. Can sigs look dirty and come out fantastic? Absolutely! But you kind of missed the mark on that by making it too dark. I'm going to assume you put too much contrast in it? Or at least severely lowered the brightness? Either way, you should go at those settings a little easier, otherwise -- though bold -- they come out too dark and sometimes excessively grungey.

2.) Though the background and border on this are excellent, my main problem lies within the render herself. My issue is essentially the very opposite of the first signature: it's too light. Though I can see how it mostly fits in with the signature, overall her skin looks far too white. I would just take it down a notch, unless this is how the render initially was, then I completely understand. Otherwise, I'd work on adjusting contrast and brightness a little bit more.

On a positive note, I think your second example is absolutely perfect. And when I mean perfect, I mean I can't find any flaws about it. The lighting is spot on; the colors work wonderfully with one another; best of all, it all comes together in the end. If you could crank out signatures with precision and accuracy like in this one, then I have no doubts in my mind that you'll become an even better graphic artist than you are right now. Never give up hope!
This is the first time in years someone has seriously critiqued my graphics. I feel the right thing to do is post a serious response to match.

First, I would just like to say that, for the most part, the creation of each signature was completely different. Other than some of my favorite effects, I was winging the entire process, due to me not remembering my regular art style. Each of these were experimantal, but that doesn't mean I was just goofin' around. Plus, I learned or remembered valuable information for my future graphics, which will not go to waste.

Cloud was had a background made with, well, Cloud. The full size render had to be highly distorted to make it unrecognizable, leading to a grunge-like effect. What caused so much black was, unavoidably, Cloud's already dark attire. I put in gradient maps, fractals, and effect C4D's to compliment the two, but I went a little overboard in the end.

My second signature had a stock placed in for the background. I duplicated it and moved them around, with varying layer modes and filters, to give it a light source and texture in advance. With the render planned out in advanced, Riki was placed in. A similar process was followed to specifically make him blend into the premade background. A few color adjustments on the entire image, some text, a border, and I was done. Part of me knew what it wanted the final version to look like, which is probably what lead to the overall aesthetics of the image.

The last signature's base layer was a photograph of Sharon, not a render, an approach that I've taken only only thrice before. It was relatively boring and dull, so the first thing done was lower the birghtness a little and raised the contrast by a considerable portion. This made the background more interesting to toy with, but the focal simply got a little brighter with every layer, no matter what I did. That went on until I just stopped before it she turned solid white. The border was just me using some random filter I stumbled across earlier that day. This came out like like two of the three - mediocre.

I appreciate you going out of your way to offer the constructive criticism. It won't go to waste any time soon, that's for sure. My signature will take a Riki-esque approach; of course experimentation will be allowed. Peace. :)

Firice da Vinci

Double Postin'!

Pokemon X is really bad at making me productive. I felt like making a lot of things, but never got around to it. Technically, I managed to make to, buyt you'll only see one. That's because GIMP crashed on me for the second time ever, only leaving me with the background.The worst part is that I was about six seconds away from finishing(not an exaggeration) and it was supposed to be a birthday present.:sad:

4vI9jAV.png

Dark Pit's a boss.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It looks very good, FirevsIce! My only concern with it would be the placement of the text, as it seems kind of randomly placed, but otherwise I'd love for you to keep up the great work! :loveeyeballs:

Firice da Vinci

Due to spontaneous inspiration, I made myself a new wallpaper.
(Click for real resolution.)
I want this game so bad. Why didn't I just preorder it a year ago? :sigh:

It looks very good, FirevsIce! My only concern with it would be the placement of the text, as it seems kind of randomly placed, but otherwise I'd love for you to keep up the great work! :loveeyeballs:
Thanks! I wanted the text elsewhere, but I had to move it to avoid obscurity.
Woah dude dese gwafix r kewl for realzies

No, seriously, I love what you've done so far. Keep it up bro!
Noe wae broski thx fir teh reapli

Nice to know you liked them. :)

Firice da Vinci

Wow, I really need to make things more often. I made three more graphics earlier today: a signature, an avatar (finally), and a...wallpaper-ish thingy.

the_minish_cap_signature___onward_by_firevsiceultimate-d6xx440.png

I wanted to make something a little less messy than I normally do and this was the result.

flareon_avatar_by_firevsiceultimate-d6xx6k2.png

This has about five layers and took barely any time at all, but Roxas is getting stale.

xenoblade_chronicles___shulk_in_glass_by_firevsiceultimate-d6xx5a5.png

This is Santa Claus from Xenoblade Chronicles. This is what happens when I play around with filters and I don't know what they do. I don't know if this is really a wallpaper or not; more like "other".

Firice da Vinci

I haven't logged on in the past few days because DeviantART is full of some really awesome signatures that made me feel like a total novice. In order to fix that, I decided to try and mimic some of their effects. Feeling mixed about all of them.

naruto___deidara_wallpaper_by_firevsiceultimate-d6y21j7.png

This is attempt numero uno. I both like and dislike it.

final_fantasy_xiii___fang_signature_by_firevsiceultimate-d6yfva8.png

This second try got into a daily signature competition and got tenth place, so I must have done something right.

naruto_signature___madara_uchiha_by_firevsiceultimate-d6yl8dg.png

Last try. Madara looks really cool, but something just feels off. Submitted it for the same competition; won't know if it'll make the cut until tomorrow night.

Great job! I really like the signature, but it took me a while to notice the text...

:rolleyes:
Thanks, but...why roll your eyes? Have we not already established this?

Now this is what I'm talking about! I can certainly tell you're stepping up your game here, and I love the outcome! Keep it up! <3
Arigato. I really tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom