• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
For those who are part of the 3DS ambassador program have this game.

To start with myself, my first FE game was Path of Radiance on the GC. And of course a direct sequel game on the Wii, Radiant Dawn. Radiant dawn is still my fave FE game till now. Not just because of the quality and the animations, but the whole skill system worked better compared to its prequel. But Michiah sucks and i still don't know how the "Guard" skill of Sothe activates.

I also played the remake of the first FE game for the DS, FE Shadow Dragon. The game was alright....but thats about it. IMO the animations kinda lacked. To bad Marth could not promote and his max level was 30. (why 30, i mean 40 would have made more sense)

But then i played Sacred Stones, which is my first FE game made with sprites (the actual 2d). IMO, this game had a lot more to offer compared to Shadow Dragon. Even if its a sprite based game...the animations look slick and epic (especialy criticals). There are branched promotions (which some of them have skills). Only good thing about Shadow Dragon compared to this, is that Shadow Dragon has a "double attack" animation.

Lets compare:

Lords

marthdouble_lord_sword.gif
ephraim_lord_lance.gif

Paladins

jeigan_paladin_lance.gif
seth_paladin_lance.gif

So 3DS ambassadors...played the game yet? Any opinions of your own?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I am not an ambassdor of the 3DS. However, I've thoroughly played through FE8, FE11 and FE12 and have enough knowledge of all three.

I personally think FE8 was leagues ahead of FE11...but it came out *before*?! The world map system to this day has only been in FE8 (it's coming to FE3D). The battle animations were, as you said, slick and clean. The time for a battle to commence wasn't so long that I longed for a skip button (which is the whole point of it existing elsewhere in the series).

To this day I think FE8's support conversations are the best of the series. I loved the characters so much more in FE8 and I could actually bond with them due to the support conversations (and their overall designs). Eirika, Ephraim, Neimi, Colm, Seth, Tana, Forde, Duessel...there are more characters in FE8 that I cared to level up than in FE11 that I loved as a character.

General thoughts on FE8, not comparing it to anything, is that it's a great game. So many things are possible due to the easytoaccess code of the game. Grinding in the game is hassle free, as you've the best spot available right after Chapter 8! If you don't like cheating using Tower, you can just play through the game as you like, acquiring many valuable units and weapons along the way! Girls only challenge, boys only challenge, sword users only (except where ranged weapons are needed)...all challenges are enjoyable in this game just because of how quick it is. FE8 is forever memorable IMO.

I think the Shadow Dragon character models are better. ;) Beat the first six chapters of the game and it's truly holding strong. One of Nintendo's best franchises! The bond between Ephraim and Erika is so great. Beautiful. Classic. Undisturbed. I truly do wonder if the Demons didn't have something to do with the king of Grado's change of heart. That general Valter is also just asking for a beating. Great game and I can't wait for Fire Emblem: Awakening with a dual character combat system and paid DLC support. :)

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I don't have a 3DS, but I own the GBA game.

I thought that FE8 was one of the best in the series. Not only because it had really cool battle animations, but also because of the cool features posted above. I thought that the world map feature was simply awesome here, and I simply have no idea why they never used it for the later games. The story was very unique as well, and the character supports were awesome! This was one of my favorite games in the series, and it was so unique!

FE 11 was probably my least favorite Fire Emblem game played, because it lacked many things from the previous games that made the series fun for me, but it was still fun and exciting to play. One of the things that I did hate was the animations in the battle, because the seemed pretty plain to me. It wasn't as exciting to watch the battle actually take place.

Sacred Stones defintiely was different from what I have played, in a positive way, and it definitely deserves to be one of the best Fire Emblem games. There is just so much content with characters and possibilities.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
DLC is obsessed with fire emblem. He's been playing the sacred stones obsessively, And has been watching LP's of Radiant dawn and Path of radiance. I tried to take The Sacred stones away from him, and he tried to stab me with a swiss army knife. So I guess its a good game.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've been playing this game a little bit but not as much as the other Ambassador games. It's good and I have a road trip coming up so I'll probably play it some more. I'm always a fan of a good RPG.

Fire Emblem 11 was the first Fire Emblem game I actually bought (before then I had downloaded FE2, FE3, and FE6. As a side note, please refrain from launching into discussions about the legality of this activity.) I'll be honest, it's not quite as good as the original (in part due to the fact that they cut out the second book) but it's a great game. I don't know why it gets so much hate.
Anyway, Sacred Stones is one of the most beautiful games I've ever owned on the GBA. Again, I don't get why most of the FE fanbase didn't like it. I really loved the class system, I thought the story was well-presented, I thought the characters were interesting (personality and stat-wise), and the music was awesome. It was really interesting to see your character slowly divide as the game went on; eventually you had to decide on what soldiers you would frequently use and which ones you wouldn't, because you wouldn't be able to use everyone on one map, plus some characters were impractical to use. You also had to decide everyone's roles; should I turn the mercenary into a ranger so that I can increase his range, or should I turn him into a hero and increase his power?
I will say this though; as much as I love the plot and the characters, some of the characters and their decisions are, to be frank, stupid. For instance, when
Carlyle betrayed his WHOLE COUNTRY solely because he was in love with Queen Ismaire. And he blames it on her for being too beautiful. I felt no sorrow for him. He made a stupid decision, and now everyone hates him for it.
Overall though, Sacred Stones was a good game.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
The only problem I have with Sacred Stones, is that I hate Ross. Does anyone have any tips about him? I just ignore him and use Garcia instead though. IS he worth the trouble of leveling him up?

When he died I didn't care enough to restart the chapter. I have leveled up garcia quite a bit! he's not as good as general Amelia though! she's beast. ok now to the point of this post. This is my first FE game, I only got it cause it was free! but I really like it! can't wait til the 3d one!!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The only problem I have with Sacred Stones, is that I hate Ross. Does anyone have any tips about him? I just ignore him and use Garcia instead though. IS he worth the trouble of leveling him up?
Before I say anything, I'll tell you the trick to great characters: 20/20. That means you only promote your characters when they reach Level 20 (or lv10 for trainees; referring to Amelia, Ewan and Ross). If you don't do 20/20, you'll have overall suckier characters.

Ross is one of the best characters in FE8. Complete the game on both Eirika and Ephraim routes, then you can make him, Amelia and Ewan to be "Super Trainees". They have beasting growths and are of the best classes available. Just make a wall in Tower of Valni floor 1, give Ross a Hand Axe, and allow him to pick off any enemies that come near (keep him away from 2 range enemies though).

Outside of Super Trainee, Ross has great growths (better than Garcia), and is excellent as a Warrior. Give him a Killer Axe or a Brave Axe and you've a formidable opponent. His DEF and RES suffers a bit so keep Natasha, Lute or even L'Arachel nearby. Pick off mage users, and try to weaken the DEF intensive classes like Knights, Great Knights, Generals etc.

Fire Emblem 11 [...] I don't know why it gets so much hate.

Again, I don't get why most of the FE fanbase didn't like it.

SPOILER]Carlyle betrayed his WHOLE COUNTRY solely because he was in love with Queen Ismaire. And he blames it on her for being too beautiful. I felt no sorrow for him. He made a stupid decision, and now everyone hates him for it.[/SPOILER]
FE11 gets hate because it's different and isn't as good as FE1 and FE3. The animations...everything about FE11.
FE8 gets hate because it's rather easy even on Hard Mode. Compare that to FE7 in which Hector Hard Mode is the hardest mode of the game...

I loved how Carlyle was blinded by his lust for Ismaire. It was one of the best things he could ever do, besides trade me his Wind Sword <3

Last edited:

DLC

Soul Drummer.
Before I say anything, I'll tell you the trick to great characters: 20/20. That means you only promote your characters when they reach Level 20 (or lv10 for trainees; referring to Amelia, Ewan and Ross). If you don't do 20/20, you'll have overall suckier characters.

Ross is one of the best characters in FE8. Complete the game on both Eirika and Ephraim routes, then you can make him, Amelia and Ewan to be "Super Trainees". They have beasting growths and are of the best classes available. Just make a wall in Tower of Valni floor 1, give Ross a Hand Axe, and allow him to pick off any enemies that come near (keep him away from 2 range enemies though).

Outside of Super Trainee, Ross has great growths (better than Garcia), and is excellent as a Warrior. Give him a Killer Axe or a Brave Axe and you've a formidable opponent. His DEF and RES suffers a bit so keep Natasha, Lute or even L'Arachel nearby. Pick off mage users, and try to weaken the DEF intensive classes like Knights, Great Knights, Generals etc.

FE11 gets hate because it's different and isn't as good as FE1 and FE3. The animations...everything about FE11.
FE8 gets hate because it's rather easy even on Hard Mode. Compare that to FE7 in which Hector Hard Mode is the hardest mode of the game...

I loved how Carlyle was blinded by his lust for Ismaire. It was one of the best things he could ever do, besides trade me his Wind Sword <3

Okay... oops. I upgraded all of my other units at lvl 10. :sweat:
time to start another profile.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, Ross' rates are actually worse than Garcia's, but dat Super Trainee...

Ross' growth rates:

HP S/M Skl Spd Luk Def Res
70% 50% 35% 30% 40% 25% 20%

Garcia's growth rates:
HP S/M Skl Spd Luk Def Res
80% 65% 40% 20% 40% 25% 15%

Ross is exceptional as a Berserker.

I do not understand this logic and require further elaboration.

Whether or not a game is easy doesn't matter to me, I only care if the game has depth. In the early levels, strategies were straight-forward and there usually weren't too many to choose from, but as you went on, strategies became even more complex and diverse. Part of this is because FE8 had a large cast of characters and a TON of classes for them to become. One player's file could have Joshua upgraded to an assassin, while another may have him raised as a swordmaster. And don't forget the Tower of Valni, random encounters, Creature Campaign, and the Lagdou Ruins. Essentially, Fire Emblem 8 took Fire Emblem's concept that made it replayable and expanded it to near infinity. I prefer replayability and depth over difficulty, though that's not to say difficulty isn't an important factor in judging a game.

I've never respected men who do such foolish things based on love/sexual attraction. You're entitled to like what he did.

H

Hakuna Matata

While all the trainees tend to be really incredible, I would hardly say the Super Trainees are the best class for them. Of the 3, I believe Ewan is the only one that really benefits from being made a Super Trainee, but even then, the fact that they all end up with awful Con doesn't make it quite as beneficial as making him just about any of his other promotions. That's why it's usually best to go with Berserker Ross and General Amelia, unless you're doing an A-Rank run, in which case you really shouldn't use any of them.

Whether or not you should use the trainees really depends on 2 things: 1) Are you patient? 2) Are you just playing through the game or are you A-ranking the game? If you're patient enough (mostly for Amelia and Ewan) and not bothering with ranks, then I would it. If not, the only one you get early enough is Ross, and you might not even want to use him because he never gets as much movement as the characters you WOULD want for a good ranking, unless you give him the Swiftsoles.

As for me, I love this game. The freedom of choice, the world map, and the addition of a postgame really made this game really fun. Some of the characters were also really fun, too, like Lute and L'Arachel. A support with either of them is almost certain to be amazing fun to read.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I played the game before on the GBA and loved it so naturally I was excited to see it be part of the ambassador program.

As stated in the previous sentence I love this game. Like you mentioned about the sprites, Onilink, they are quite smooth during the animation and I personally prefer them over Shadow Dragon's. As far as the rest of the game goes, I like the 'chess-like' aspect of the game, where you have to use strategy to take out your opponent's 'pieces' while making sure they don't take out yours. And to top it all of the pieces that you're given aren't just pieces that you could throw away without a care, the game actually gets you to care about those pieces and makes you want to make sure they survive until the end of the game. It is especially true if you have one piece in with a support with another piece; if one dies, the ending that the two would have together at the end of the game wouldn't happen.

I love how the game works like that and because of it I try really hard not to lose anyone and sometimes it's very difficult to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom