• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia

Threads relating to the Fire Emblem series.

Zachie

Moo

Here's the trailer for the upcoming remake of Fire Emblem 2! Looks really interesting, but pretty obviously an older game.

Ugh, I'm really torn on this game. The story and characters are exactly what I've been hoping for in this series post-Radiant Dawn. Awakening's plot was fine if a little bit too simplistic, and Fates just dropped the ball entirely with super cliche characters and a seemingly complete lack of interest in any type of complex world building or storytelling. Shadows of Valentia stays true to how the Fire Emblem games of the past were built when it comes to telling a very compelling story, which I think is its strongest point.

But man, I just can't get on board with this gameplay. I get that the source game itself is supposed to be quirky and weird because it has that "Nintendo second game" syndrome, but compared to what we just got with Fates, I'm not impressed. Awakening and Fates had me literally addicted to the way the game was built and how its mechanics were executed - I actually couldn't put the games down except to eat and sleep. It's really disappointing that I haven't been able to bring myself to finish Shadows of Valentia yet, because it's just not that fun to play for me.

It's infuriating because I see the pieces of an incredible game with this remake and the ground the series has been breaking with Awakening and Fates. I can only hope the upcoming Switch game takes the best of both worlds and creates another truly special game, like I feel the series accomplished with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Add in modern conveniences, and I think we could have the best Fire Emblem game in a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom