• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Finished Twilight Princess!

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Yup, and only today I was on the City of the Sky. Now, I have beaten the final boss which was epic, tense and something I will replay. Now it's on the credits :) This makes the total three, The others being Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Also, I am on the Water Temple(Not sure of the exact name, I last played in July :O) in Majoras Mask and Spirit Temple on Master Quest 3D(I last played it late July, so I am not sure)

Aswell as that, my dad, who was on, and still is, on the Snowhead Temple got a head start at Snowhead. I started in August, and flew past him. Now, he isn't even halfway through Snowhead. But, he does play A LOT of different games, like Rage, Forza and much more, so you can't blame him. :P

So what's next? I'll probably wrap in Majora's Mask and then head over to the much anticipated Skyward Sword.

twilight princess is a good game and a decent zelda with his huge content but it lack what have made the other zelda unique. Lets hope skyward sword will have that little touch (which is really probable)

twilight princess is a good game and a decent zelda with his huge content but it lack what have made the other zelda unique. Lets hope skyward sword will have that little touch (which is really probable)

So gathering the tears of light, fighting on your horse, and turning and exploring the terrain as a wolf weren't unique? The hidden skills that you could use at will? It was plenty unique in my opinion.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
So gathering the tears of light, fighting on your horse, and turning and exploring the terrain as a wolf weren't unique? The hidden skills that you could use at will? It was plenty unique in my opinion.

Those two may have been unique, but they weren't fun. And the horse combat was greatly underused, as good as it was.
Tell me what it lacked.
It had an unmemorable soundtrack, bland graphics, mostly uncreative dungeon themes (except for City in the Sky and Twilight Temple), no innovative driving force behind the game (this is the HUGEST problem with the game), and a story that started out great but became stale halfway through.

It's almost like it really wanted to be OOT, being as that is so heavily regarded (though, not by me) as the best Zelda game in existence. It really just tried so hard to be OOT that it actually lost some of it's true identity in the process.

Twilight Princess is my 2nd least favorite Zelda game, with Phantom Hourglass being my absolute least favorite.

Last edited:
Those two may have been unique, but they weren't fun. And the horse combat was greatly underused, as good as it was.

you could fight bulblins all day long (I did, probably 5+ hours on my first TP file) on your horse, so it really depended on how much you used it, yes it wasn't very much used in quest. but it was your choice how much you wanted to do it out of the quest, an important thing for me in games is how much fun it is to not do the main quest or side quest, but just fool around, this is something I feel Twilight Princess succeeded big time on. also, I liked the wolf parts of the game.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
you could fight bulblins all day long (I did, probably 5+ hours on my first TP file) on your horse, so it really depended on how much you used it, yes it wasn't very much used in quest. but it was your choice how much you wanted to do it out of the quest, an important thing for me in games is how much fun it is to not do the main quest or side quest, but just fool around, this is something I feel Twilight Princess succeeded big time on. also, I liked the wolf parts of the game.
Fair enough. I personally hated how linear the game was, how you were forced to go through those wolf sections. I would have much preferred if they were either shorter or optional. And yeah, I guess you could go around on your horse fighting all day if you wanted to, but I would have liked it if they had added more of that into the main quest.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I remember longing for wilight Princess.. I bought it off ebay for a hefty price since it was so rare in my area. But the sad thing is that I watched playthroughs of the game and knew it up-side down, But that didn't ruin the experience for me, great Zelda game.. although some things could've been done better ;)

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
The wolf sections weren't bad, and it wasn't that linear, the only parts I found linear were the Palace of Twilight and... well that's it. The wolf sections weren't long either; but I do agree, they could of added another horseback riding section. You could do it all you like if you chose not to warp and went to Bridge of Eldin.

And what was so bad about the sound track? It remixed some classics and the music when you are about to attack a weakspot of a boss was epic. And what do you mean, "driving force?"

And the story didn't go stale, it dove deeper in and told us about Midna and gave us more information, and actually chained everything up. It is a great game.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
By driving force, I pretty much meant there was no innovation to the standard Zelda formula to keep me going. I thought the wolf sections were a bit too lengthy actually, and there was far to many of them. And by linear, I meant story wise. You had to do this to get here, and then you have to do this in order to have this happen.

Think back to the original Legend of Zelda, where you could choose to explore and do any dungeon in any order you please. Or you could even skip all the dungeons entirely and go to the final level. Now, I'm not asking for something that drastically non-linear. But we should still have SOME choice in what events we want to do and when. Most of the medallions in OOT could be done in any order, in MM you could do just about all of the side quests before even doing the first dungeon, and in WW you could explore the entire Great Sea once you got the boat, and there was also a point where you could choose between two dungeons, which one you wanted to do first. In TP, the story was far too linear. You could choose to explore some of Hyrule field, but during some parts of the game, it's not even fully unlocked and you HAVE to go through a main quest in order to get to the next part of Hyrule field. There were sidequests, but they weren't all that great and were mostly collectathons or just raising rupees.

With the soundtrack, that's a personal thing. I didn't remember a single song from TP, yet I remember just about every song from OOT, MM, and WW yet I played those games even longer ago than I played TP. And about the story going stale:

Around Arbiter's Grounds, when Ganondorf came in, I just completely lost interest in the plot. After that it just became formulaic. Get three more things, do this, then fight the final boss. Sure, the story of Midna was good, but everything else was bad.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Lol, you needed to do the Earth Temple before the Wind temple. And besides, thats your opinion, to us, it's a great game. Also, you need to keep in mind that it's about the fun factor aswell.

So what did you like about the game, hmm?

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I loved the gameplay and huge Hyrule Castle town and Hyrule field. As for what it lacked I think the colors were a bit bland and the game could get way to easy at time. (Why is this in World of Zelda Section?)

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
Lol, you needed to do the Earth Temple before the Wind temple. And besides, thats your opinion, to us, it's a great game. Also, you need to keep in mind that it's about the fun factor aswell.

That was a given. Technically, you can start the Wind Temple, but if you want to finish it you have to go to the Earth Temple. Now, I may be wrong considering it's been years since I've played WW.
Not sure what you mean by "it's about fun factor" when I listed the things I didn't like. Those things I listed stopped it from being as fun as it could, you know?

What did I like? Well, here you go:
1. I liked a majority of the actual dungeon designs and layouts themselves, but not the actual themes. They were some of the greatest dungeons in 3D Zelda.
2. The boss designs. I enjoyed how much of a threat they looked and while the bosses themselves were easy, they still looked really sweet.
3. I liked the various items. The Spinner, Ball & Chain. I just wished they weren't underused.
4. The scale of the world. It may have been an empty world, but it sure was huge and felt very real.
5. Midna. She's one of the greatest sidekicks in any Zelda game. She had a full backstory and was really fleshed out compared to Navi and Tatl.
6. The length. It was a very long game, and you could really play it for a long while.
7. Link. He really felt like he had a real personality this time around, and I liked how the kids looked up to him.
8. Hidden skills.
9. Horseback combat.

There are some more, but I can't think of them right now.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel

It's not all about opinion..
TP isn't a bad game but it didn't live up to it's hype and the plot could've made it without Ganondorf.

There are a few standards that a game/movie meets to be decided wheter or not its a bad game..
If everything is by opinion then there wouldn't be any good or bad.

TP:
Story -- At first it was great, had depth and was well thought out, But when Ganondorf got thrown in the plot became very simplistic.
Gameplay -- Superb, Gameplay mechanics were very good, easy to handle and different from other Zelda games.. They kept it traditional but changed it around without hurting anything.
Hype -- "Swords will bleed" and "Shields will shatter" did not live up to it's hype.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
It had an unmemorable soundtrack

Why do we get this a lot? No memorable tracks? What about Ilia's Theme? Midna's Lament? All the great renditions of Zelda's Lullaby? And best of all, Hyrule Field, which is the best overworld theme to date, IMO.

bland graphics

I beg to differ. This round of animation was spectacular. It provided an exquisite realism to just about every landmark. The first time I saw Lake Hylia after the river was unfrozen, my eyes lit up. Same with the Lower Zora River, the Fishing Mere, Hyrule Field, and basically every other place, besides those covered by Twilight. I'll give you that.

mostly uncreative dungeon themes

They use a lot of the same themes in every game, actually. Sure, Twilight Princess brought a few back (Forest, Fire, Water, etc.), but it also introduced three more: Time, Sky, and Twilight. And they were all filled with intriguing puzzles, such as the magnetism on the Iron Boots. That was utterly ingenius.

no innovative driving force behind the game

After reading what you said about the driving force being, I have to agree. The wolf parts did seem to drag me down some, but it still felt great to be a different creature again with alternative actions. It reminded me of Majora's Mask, where you could be all the different Transformations, utilizing a new set of attacks and such. As for the linearity, I have to disagree. Wind Waker bore the exact same problem that you mentioned, only heightened by the fact that we needed to sail to those points.

and a story that started out great but became stale halfway through

Let me put it to you this way: If in Wind Waker Link had to save his sister after she was kidnapped and found her halfway through his tale, then the story became stagnant at that point also. The motivation of beginning the quest is then removed. In TP, Link set out to save Ilia, which is almost parallel to WW's start. But I feel that Midna's backstory gave the game more drive than Wind Waker beyong its haflway mark. Even if Ganondorf did drop into TP suddenly, Midna kept up intrigue by releasing bits of her past at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom