• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Final Smash Character

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.
I was not hyped about Sora, and still am not. Although smash ballot numbers prove that he deserves a spot in smash.

Also the reveal trailer had so much going on that doesn't even pertain to Sora that I still managed to get hyped up.

Another thing that got me was Sakurai's genuine amazement that Sora was in his game. Seriously I have never seen Sakurai stare that hard in awe at any character in smash.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Not a KH fan but I know how popular he is in the Smash community, so I think this was a fantastic (and completely unexpected, if it weren't for the leaks) ending for Ultimate. I'll definitely be buying him, he looks like a lot of fun to use and I really like his character design so although I wouldn't have picked him myself I'm pretty satisfied with this.

Fig

The Altruist
I’ve told everyone multiple times what I consider a bad pick, nobody has to agree with me. I think he’s a bad pick, not because I didn’t want him, but because he’s another character from a genre that had too many characters already. Don’t like my reasoning ? Too bad. Nobody said you had to agree, but don’t pretend that just because Sakurai said it was good, that makes it automatically good and nobody is allowed to criticize him.
That's honestly not a good reason of what's considered a "bad pick." Because again, you are one person, the Smash community and people who just casually play Smash effectively have been singing praises about Sora. It tells me that the majority of people are in favor of Sora's addition, which in turn makes him a good pick. You want someone who's considered a "bad pick", look at Byleth. People tried to protest Byleth's inclusion by spamming down votes on their trailer. I still wouldn't call Byleth a bad pick but at least there's more reasoning and logic rather than saying "lol I don't RPGs."

That's not even a reason to say a character is bad. Just admit you don't like RPGs, no one will crucify you for it. Also don't buy the DLC if you are really that irate about a fictional character's inclusion on a children's party game made to cater to everyone. If you want a "complete" Smash game, you already have with the base game. Nothing was cut from the game that was made into DLC. DLC was made after the game was finalized which is rare to see now these days as most developers will "cut content" and then package it as a "pre-order bonus" or part of the season pass which is just grimy and should be discussion in another ghread.

You know what would actually be a "bad pick"? Someone like Waluigi who despite meme status and cult following, wouldn't appeal to the masses in comparison. If Sakurai had the choice to pick either Waluigi or Sora, he knows what the people actually want by picking Sora because that's an opportunity that may never happen again.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
That's honestly not a good reason of what's considered a "bad pick." Because again, you are one person, the Smash community and people who just casually play Smash effectively have been singing praises about Sora. It tells me that the majority of people are in favor of Sora's addition, which in turn makes him a good pick. You want someone who's considered a "bad pick", look at Byleth. People tried to protest Byleth's inclusion by spamming down votes on their trailer. I still wouldn't call Byleth a bad pick but at least there's more reasoning and logic rather than saying "lol I don't RPGs."

That's not even a reason to say a character is bad. Just admit you don't like RPGs, no one will crucify you for it. Also don't buy the DLC if you are really that irate about a fictional character's inclusion on a children's party game made to cater to everyone. If you want a "complete" Smash game, you already have with the base game. Nothing was cut from the game that was made into DLC. DLC was made after the game was finalized which is rare to see now these days as most developers will "cut content" and then package it as a "pre-order bonus" or part of the season pass which is just grimy and should be discussion in another ghread.

You know what would actually be a "bad pick"? Someone like Waluigi who despite meme status and cult following, wouldn't appeal to the masses in comparison. If Sakurai had the choice to pick either Waluigi or Sora, he knows what the people actually want by picking Sora because that's an opportunity that may never happen again.
that’s a completely good reason to call a pick bad. Having an over saturation of any genre is a bad thing and no amount of saying “oh you just don’t like RPGs” is going to change that.

I don’t tie my ideas for a balanced roster purely to what others think. RPG fans already had plenty of characters to call their own, why give them another when there are so many other genres that are left completely untouched?

Pokemon Black and White is one of my favorite games of all time, I still don’t want a gen V Pokémon because it’s another RPG character

I loved Paper Mario, I still don’t want him in Smash because he’s another RPG character.

Likewise, if crash were added, I wouldn’t want Dr.Eggman immediately afterwards.

I wouldn’t want 20 more Zelda characters all at once.

Hell, some of my favorite newcomers are RPG characters. Joker and Hero were amazing inclusions that absolutely deserved to be in Smash.

Trying to tie what I think is good and bad to something as shallow as “you just don’t like this genre lul” is just a pathetic attempt to justify pandering to the audience of 2 genres while everyone else gets table scraps.

“Don’t buy it lul” is also an incredibly stupid argument, as the DLC is absolutely part of the game, and therefore the inclusion is one I dislike, regardless of whether I purchase it or not. I want Smash as a whole to be the big crossover game celebrating gaming as a whole that I was told it was by Sakurai, and if I don’t think it lives up to that, than it doesn’t matter if I buy it or not, I still don’t like it.

If you don’t agree with that fine, but don’t pretend that I’m somehow being unreasonable just because I prefer a balance of representation in my crossover game.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I'm not a KH fan, but I'm glad to see sora in smash. It's good to see them adding another franchise to the mix so more series can be represented. A lot of people were hoping for him (although I was expecting crash)
The first thing I thought when I saw the gameplay video is that his down and up airs look amazingly effective. I feel like you could just spam those and annihilate everyone. His being lightweight is a bit of a concern, but I would imagine his up air can compensate for that.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Sora's a really good pick. Not only was he the most requested character from the Smash 4 poll, but according to Sakurai, he seemed pretty difficult to get the licensing rights to. Combine that with the announcement that the Kingdom Hearts games are coming to Switch and it made for a pretty good character to finish off on. I'm glad his moveset is a bit simpler compared to the rest of the characters too.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm mixed. I have nothing against Sora himself, however I'd be lying if I said I connected with him on a personal level. I feel this way about almost every single one of the DLC characters, so I suppose I'm just a picky gamer. At the end of the day, I can confidently say I prefer the newcomers we got in the base game (eg. Ridley, Inkling, King K Rool, Simon) over the DLC characters by a significant margin.

Anyway, Sora's trailer was good. It is kind of nice that the winner of the ballot could finally arrive. When Bayonetta "won" in 2016 with an asterisk, I always assumed she was outdone by dumb votes for characters like Shrek or Goku or something; it turns out they just couldn't/didn't want to deal with Disney and the legal headache that comes with it at the time.

The new stage looks cool enough, although I find it hilarious that there's absolutely zero Disney references whatsoever. I don't know much about Kingdom Hearts, but it's disappointing there's no new remixes (outside the victory jingle). It reminds me of when Cloud was added in Smash 4 and how barebones his representation was. At least it's not as bad here.

I really enjoyed Sakurai's presentation as usual. You can always tell how passionate he is for his work. This man has been working non-stop on Smash ever since Kid Icarus Uprising came out in 2012, which is crazy to think about.

Finally, while only somewhat relevant to this topic, I do want to say that I absolutely hate the concept of cloud-gaming and think it's basically pointless to "port" the Kingdom Hearts games in this way.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
TBH, I wanted (not expected) a Castlevania character like Soma Cruz or Jonathan Morris. I have no desire to buy the DLC (except for Sephiroth, je tousse) but I really want Soma Cruz or Jonathan Morris. Like, at least give us Alucard!! Lits, they only gave us Richter and Simon, and they both have the same move set...
I mean, IG kingdom hearts fans will be happy with this one...

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
A list of characters that I would have bought:
Any non link Zelda rep
Urshifu
Grovyle
Shovel knight
Hollow knight
Any dark souls rep
Lolo
Earthbound beginnings rep
Ryu (ninja gaiden)

And a character that I would probably have bought without having played the franchise, ezio from assassin's Creed

he's so cool.

and to be clear sora definitely deserved to get in over a lot of the DLC roster, so I can't be TOO mad over that one compared to certain other choices (cough byleth). I'm also in the "base game newcomers were better" camp, given stuff like Inkling, Ridley, and Simon

like, is my list totally unreasonable? Could one or two of them have gotten in? Isn't shovel knight THE most popular indie character in recent memory?
frickin byleth

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
its amazing how out of all of the dlc characters, this is the only one that got a majority of my friends excited, we've talked about certain others here and there for sure, but damn sora was just a wave of hype among most of us

Reactions: Fig

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So has anyone discussed the possibility that maybe Sora just got in because of $$$?
Considering how much money it cost them to actually get him in? I doubt it. Sora has been heavily requested since Smash 4 at the minimum. The only reason he hasn't gotten in any sooner than this is because Disney is a greedy mfer. Sakurai worked his butt off to get him in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom