• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Final Fantasy Series

I would buy III and IV. They are classics and won't throw you away from what the series is actually like. Tactics is a Strategy RPG and the gameplay might turn you away from the series. It definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. As for the others - I have yet to play them.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Well...

If you have a DS lite or phat, then forget about the DS ones and buy FFVI Advance, the best FF EVER

O

OoT boy11

Sorry I forgot before you play FFTa2 play FFTA for gba cu'z you will find a main charicter from the gba game.

T

Triforce_16

I just finished playing Final Fantasy X & i've got to say, it's very impressive. Diverse characters, a rich & multi-layered story, fantastic music & a brilliant ending. That ending cracks me up into tears every time i see it, it's that brilliant.

I just finished playing Final Fantasy X & i've got to say, it's very impressive. Diverse characters, a rich & multi-layered story, fantastic music & a brilliant ending. That ending cracks me up into tears every time i see it, it's that brilliant.

I'm in full agreement with this, and the reasons you named are probably the reason that X remains my favorite of the Final Fantasies I've played. Everyone worships VII as a god, but I didn't find it nearly as emotional as X to be honest, and that's a major reason why I loved X so much. That and you actually cared about the characters at the end, a trait that XII was missing because it had no real main character. I'm glad to see that someone else admits that they nearly cried at the end, because I've been a bit embarrassed to admit it in the past. Great story never really seems to be missing in every Final Fantasy title as of late; it just seems to be a staple now that every FF must have a deep complicated story, which I don't mind at all.

S

Sage of Wind

Out of all the FF games I've played I thought 10 was the worst :lol:
My favourite FF game (actually my favourite game of all time) is Final Fantasy 9 for the same reasons you liked 10 :lol: anyone who plays Final Fantasy 9 and doesn't cry at the end is obviously some kind of heartless monster

Final Fantasy series is quiet good actually. Personal favorite has to be Final Fantasy VI for the Super Nintendo, which was darned good with amazing villain, gorgeous soundtrack, marvelous cast of characters and fantastic storyline. It's just super.. And Kefka kicks Sephiroth's butt every day of the week. :nod: You can also buy FFVI for Game Boy Advance by the way.

Damn, I wish I could play FFX, but I don't have a PS2 or backwards-compatible PS3. :kawaii:

The only FF game I've played so far is VII, and I think it's a bit overhyped but largely lives up to its praise. The story is engrossing, the characters are interesting and the gameplay had the strategy elements of an RPG, whilst still having a reasonable pace. Pokemon is also an RPG, but I found its battle system way too slow and tedious - FFVII had the same level of strategy, if not more, but required you to stay on your toes. What I do have to criticize, though, is the iffy translation making the story hard to understand at times ("This guy are sick", anyone?) and the fact that it's so easy to skip past useful items (although that's a problem in virtually every RPG). Also the fact that what has been termed "the saddest scene in a video game ever"...wasn't really that upsetting, although I guess that's because it was such a major plot twist back in the day that now EVERYONE knows about it beforehand.

I am so looking forward to FFXIII when it comes out. :D

I could have sworn that there is already a Final Fantasy thread here, cause i spent a lot of time there.

My personal Favorite FF is VIII, but i can criticize it because that game, while it may have the best story, was not exactly user friendly.

If you have a DS light or the original DS, Get VI or really any of them, you cant go wrong (buy something from the main series and not a spin off, they are for the most part mixed bags). V may be a week FF but its still an awesome game. IV is the hardest one in the FF in most peoples opinions, but if your up for the challenge, VI was just awesome, the best 2d RPG known to man.

Din Akera

Sniper
Final Fantasy

So, I know nothing about this series. And i mean nothing other than people seem to really like it. But I would like to know about the story, characters, plot, etc.

Could someone please enlighten me :)

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Hi, well I got given loads of PS1 Final Fantasy games but I haven't played them. But on the box, it looks like kind of like Zelda really, apparently they are really good, but the PS1 games are too old to play now...:(

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well let's get down to it then. I'm kinda new to Final Fantasy myself but I know enough about it.

First of all the story. The story revolves around four crystals of Wind, Fire, Water, and Earth. These crystals basically keep the balance between Light and Darkness and if the balace is broken they'll call upon four people to become warriors. Sometimes they're the Warriors of the Light and sometimes they're the Warriors of the Darkness. It depends on which becomes more powerful If darkness becomes more powerful, they'll be the Warriors of the Light and vice versa. That's about all there is to the basic plot of it to my knowledge.

The characters switch from game to game like they do in Zelda (kinda they have different names and aren't related to each other). In Final Fantasy I you can name all four warriors from the beginning and choose their jobs and that's about it (at least for the NES/Famicom version).

In Final Fantasy II you have four youths (whom are obviously the crystals' chosen warriors) who's parents were killed in a war during an army envasion by the empire of Palamecia. However the fourth youth separated from the other three and took the place of the emporer of Palamecia and is preparing to attack the rebellion staged by the other three.

And for the sake of not making this post uber long, I'm not going to list every character from every game and their backstories.

The gameplay is fantastic. It is a turnbased RPG with random encounters (meaning you walk around and all of a sudden the screen will turn to the battle screen) and I-IV just follow the classic style of "choose your action" while from V on, ones have monsters attack you while you are making decisions meaning you have to make good decisions fast. From III on there is a job system in which instead of being stuck to one job for the entire game, you can switch them at will at almost any time and more jobs are unlocked as you restore more crystals and from then on, this has been the case.

All in all, they're fantastic games and I highly recommend them all, although be aware that there's some confusion in the series. Let me explain.

Final Fantasy games always come out in Japan first. When they got Final Fantasy for the Famicom we got Final Fantasy for the NES. When they got Final Fantasy II we got nothing. Again, when they got Final Fantasy III we got jack squat. When they got Final Fantasy IV we got it as Final Fantasy II. They got V while we got nothing. They got VI while we got it as III for the SNES. Then they got VII and we got VII as VII. From then on there were no more confusion. Japan gets VIII we get it as VIII etc. Here is how the confused ones are available in English. (btw, thanks to Wikipedia for providing the info below)

Final Fantasy I is available in English on the PSP as Final Fantasy Anniversary Addition, the PS as Final Fantasy Origins, and the GBA as Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls.

Final Fantasy II is available in English on the PSP as Final Fantasy II Anniversary Addition, the PS as Final Fantasy Origins, and the GBA as Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls.

Final Fantasy III is only available in English for the DS as Final Fantasy III.

Final Fantasy IV is available in English for the GBA as Final Fantasy IV Advance, the SNES as Final Fantasy II, the PS as Final Fantasy IV (I think), the DS as Final Fantasy IV, the PS as Final Fantasy Chronicles, and the PS Final Fantasy Anthology (NA Version).

Final Fantasy V is available in English for the GBA as Final Fantasy V Advance, the PS as Final Fantasy V, and the PS as Final Fantasy Anthology (Euro and NA Versions).

And Final Fantasy VI is available in English for the SNES as Final Fantasy III, the PS as Final Fantasy VI (I think), the GBA as Final Fantasy VI Advance, and the PS as Final Fantasy Anthology (Euro Version).

I hope you found this useful. If you need additional info about the FF series click here.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Final Fantasy is a Japanese RPG series made by Squaresoft (now known as Square-Enix).

That doesn't help, does it? ;)

The best way to describe it is that it usually involves gathering a party of characters in some fashion. Some of whom will be attack magic users, others who will be healing magic users, and still others who will be warriors of some kind. You advance these characters through the game by upgrading equipment and gaining experience levels by fighting monsters. Unlike in Zelda, non-boss encounters are usually random. Battles are turn-based rather than real-time. There's usually a major problem threatening the world that you have to gain power in order to confront, usually involving the elemental crystals (probably the closest thing in FF to the Triforce). Oh, and also unlike in Zelda, you can never have too much gold. There's always new equipment, spells, and recovery items to buy.

Din Akera

Sniper
Wow! thanks guys that sounds great! I definitely understand better.
So, do I have to get a playstation to play them? Or can I get them on the virtual portion of the wii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom