• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Fierce's Boss Gauntlet Guide: The Ultimate Fight!

Fierce

Deity Link
the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-logo.jpg

The Boss Gauntlet Guide
The Ultimate Fight!
Version 1.0
-This Guide was made for Zelda Dungeon, please don't steal it :( -

Introduction

Hello fellow Zelda enthusiasts! I'm Fierce. No, that's not an adjective-- that's my name-- but it does describe the ferocious challenges that await you in the awesome new mode from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. I'm referring to BOSS GAUNTLET. An ultimate test of your Zelda skill... Boss Gauntlet pits you against all of the Dark Lord's fiercest followers in succession. You start out with few hearts and few weapons. You only have the basic necessities at your disposal and you'll need to use every ounce of your skill to succeed. It takes strategy and talent just to complete, let alone achieve an awesome time to brag to your friends about. Fear not however, for I hold in my hands the Boss Key-- Or should I say... the key to their extermination.

The Basics

This is what you start out with:

• <3<3<3<3<3
  • Double Magic Meter
  • Slingshot + 30 Deku Seeds
  • Boomerang
  • 0 Bombs
  • 0 Deku Sticks
  • 0 Deku Nuts
  • Hook Shot
  • Bow + 30 Arrows
  • All Shields
  • All Tunics

This is all you get for every single fight-- so you'll need to make your supplies last. This means using ammo sparingly and it also means you need to avoid getting hit as much as you can. Fortunately, after each battle you're rewarded with two Chests. These chests supply you with weapons, health, or upgrades that will help you against the upcoming boxes. There's always 1 small and 1 large, but their sizes do not reflect the value of their contents. The contents are somewhat random but between certain items. It takes time to open these chests, but usually their contents make up for it. A key to getting good items is to not lose any health. If you have any empty hearts, there's a chance later on to get recovery hearts instead of powerful items like The Giant's Knife. This is an awesome new feature because they add a tremendous amount of depth and variety and ensure no run feels the same! In this guide I'll tell you the best chests to choose (Or one's to just ignore.) For extreme challenge you can just avoid the chests all together... because I have advice for that as well! So now that we have the basics down... shall we begin?

KEY NOTE: Taking damage will make you MUCH more likely to have garbage prizes like bottles, potions and recovery hearts... So please, DON'T GET HIT!

QUEEN GOHMA
甲殻寄生獣ゴーマ

This our first battle. You've probably battled her a million times so there's not too much strategy involved; however, since we are gunning for the best time, we are going to approach the fight a little differently. The difference is positioning/ timing of attacks. Angle yourself to that Gohma's retreat pattern is up a pillar, not a wall. Meaning-- it will take Gohma a shorter time to climb to the ceiling if you can't manage to kill her in 7 seconds which is very possible with the right timing of jumpslashes and stabs. The difference is only about 10 seconds if she climbs up a pillar if you can't manage to kill her in one go... so it's your call. I reset it until I get it right since it's only the first battle.

Pattern: Jumpslash Stab, Jumpslash Stab, jumplash stab
You'll win in 00:06.80 at best this way.

Chest Choice
For this one I'd definitely go for the small chest. It contains 5~20 Bombs for the upcoming fight with King Dondogo. The large chest contains Deku Nuts or Deku sticks. If you've got some skill and luck, you can wager on the Deku sticks and use the bomb flowers to take on the next boss (And using the Deku Sticks to attack.) Also: Warning... for some reason there's a 3d glitch with the bombs often that will really hurt your eyes so be ready for that.

KING DONDOGO
インファナル恐竜
- Switch Bombs to Y
- Switch Deku Sticks to X (If you have them)

After dealing with the Queen, we now must fight a king! The royals certainly don't put up much of a fight do they? You already know the king like the triforce on back of your hand, but I'll tell you how to beat him faster! The key is to throw a bomb in his mouth the moment he cracks it open. Time your jump slash to hit as soon as it possibly can. To get this timing down, practice it before hand until you've got it. It's not too hard. If you picked the big chest, you'll need to rely on the bomb flowers. Run ahead and get a headstart before he starts to breath, but you'll usually miss your first opportunity to slash him if you do this. If you opted to get the deku sticks, you'll be able to take him down in 2 hits rather than 3... but like I said before this is hard to do without missing the first part. Quickly you'll beat him, probably at the 47 second mark. (1 minute if you were lazy about Gohma)

Chest Choice
This time there's three choices you need to make. My recommendation? None... You can save time by skipping both chests. The large chest contains Deku sticks, Deku Seeds or Deku Nuts and the small contains a Heart Container or a Bottle If you need to pick a chest, I'd go for this because Deku Sticks can increase your damage output for Barinade. Deku Nuts/seeds are absolutely useless though... A Heart Container could be beneficial to some, but this guide stresses NOT GETTING HIT. So.. yeah. Just another optional way to shave a second or two by skipping, but by all means gamble on the chest.

BARINADE
電撃旋回虫バリネード
- Switch Boomerang to Y
- Switch Deku Sticks X (If you have them)

Now we're onto the last and the hardest of the child bosses. Well at least he... she... or well IT thinks it is. Barinade is hard to many, but to those who know its secret, it's a piece of heart. The upper tentacles are the first target we aim for. L Target the first, throw the boomerang, and release-- repeat. All while doing this you circle Barinade. Standing still in this fight means electrocution. As soon as you hit the last tentacle, throw the boomerang into it.It will first go through the monster and come back to stun him and killing a Bari or two in the process. (For those who don't know: Bari are those Jellyfish) Ignore the Bari and start jumpslashing the stunned Boss. As soon as he dives into the fleshy floor, back up and aim your boomerang a little above where the bari will fly. Right as the Bari break off of him, throw the boomerang... subduing the boss and dispersing his Bari in a small ring. Kill them all off as quickly as possible, and back up away from Barinade so he doesn't shock you. Chase after him, and when you get close L-target him and throw your boomerang to stun. Jumpslash twice then retreat. While he fires, you can use that as an opportunity to find recovery hearts in the pots. 5 jumpslashes of the Kokiri sword will do him in. (4 of Deku Sticks) So if you took the chest gamble and got the sticks you can shave off a fair amount of time.

Chest Choice
Again, I usually choose neither chest-- considering both are pretty useless. The large chest contains deku nuts and the small chest contains a heart container/ bottle. If you aren't very good at avoiding damage, I'd opt for the small chest. These chests take much longer to appear than the rest do, and considering the paltry awards I highly suggest a pass.

-This battle should take around 1 minute.

zeldaot3d01_530x330.jpg

PHANTOM GANON
彼方からの悪霊
- Set Bow to Y
- Set Hookshot to X

Rush to the circle and then dart back to the way you came! Our first adult boss battle is Phantom Ganon! This battle is a very important one to speedruns for 1 reason: you can get the Giant's Knife or Big Quiver! Now this battle is extremely easy when you know what you're doing. The first part is a cake walk. The two images of Ganon may throw you off but it one if you know a key detail: The real phantom will always have a white tint to it, i.e. brighter than the other. Have your bow/hookshot aimed and ready for as soon as he materializes. This will save alot of time if you can hit him before he jumps and it will eliminate the risk of taking damage. The rewards for this fight are amazing, so seriously... DON'T GET HIT! You shouldn't have to waste more than 3 arrows here... zero if you use the hookshot. I highly recommend using the hookshot over the bow, as that's three more arrows you'll have for Volvagia and Bongo Bongo.

Anyway, you do this three times and he'll dismount and attempt to shoot energy at you. Stand as close to him as possible when you deflect the energy with your sword. He'll usually go down on the first hit. As soon as he's vulnerable start jumpslashing. You can hit him even while he's in the air after he's been hit by the blast so waste no time. He'll take 2 hits before rising up so make them count. Be careful because after 4 jumpslashes he'll become more aggressive and you may have to do a volley. 6 jumpslashes will do him in, and you should be able to win within minute and ten second's time. Fun fact: If you've found an empty bottle you can use that to deflect his blasts.

Chest Choice
LARGE! The large chest has a chance of containing: Giant's Knife, Big Quiver, and Heart Container. These are all great items (Beside the last one) and they'll really speed up your run. The Sword upgrade is extremely rare, so don't be surprised if you don't get it on your first try. I find the odds are better if you have yet to be hit a single time while doing the child bosses. The Big Quiver is helpful because that's 10 extra arrows you can waste on Volvagia and Bongo Bongo. The small chest is a longshot, pretty useless on Morpha since the hookshot works just as well. Chosing the longshot is a much safer bet if you don't wanna gamble on the Giant's Knife since it can help in the Bongo Bongo and Twinrova battles, but the reward out weighs the risk really... Just chose the large chest!

VOLVAGIA
灼熱穴居竜ヴァルバジア
- Equip Goron Tunic
- Set Megaton Hammer to X

The Subterranean Fire Dragon awaits you. Considering the upgrade you might have just received, this battle should be a cakewalk. But even without the sword it's still a cake walk! In fact, I find it to be a good idea to save the Giant's knife for later anyway. Rather, jumpslash with the Megaton hammer. Once the battle starts, get a good view of all the holes. Keep a good distance from the hole as he'll slash you on his way out, and whack him over the head like usual. When he's stunned take a few steps back and jumpslash with your hammer or giant's knife. If you're using the hammer, get your bow ready. When he comes up he'll just fly around. At this time L target his head asap, and fire your bow while backing up to judge the distance. Practice angling the bow in single matches if you find this difficult. Get at least ten off on him. Don't expend all your arrows, you'll need 10 or so for bongo bongo (minimum 6 arrows needed)

After the dragon goes in the hole, he'll he resurface after 2-3 fakeouts (3 if you managed to hit him with enough arrows) Repeat the killing process and if you've done it right he should be dead. If not, you have to wait quite a bit longer... If you can't kill him in two blows you'll need to climb off the edge to avoid the rain of boulders. This will also cause him to retreat to his hole faster. After your next attack, he should definitely be dead.

Chest Choice
This time, I'd say skip if you've mastered fighting bongo bongo without hover boots. Otherwise take the small chest, as it contains the hover boots. The large chest is a heart container, and well you know how I feel about those.

- Should only take about 40-45 seconds if done right-

MORPHA
水棲核細胞モーファ
-Set Hookshot/ Longshoot to X
- If giant's knife is set, switch to master sword

Besides Gohma this should be the fastest and easiest boss fight thus far. Regardless of whether or not you've gotten the longshot, it battles exactly the same. Now walk onto the pillar and activate the battle. Watch where morpha lands and then jump to the nearest corner of the outer-edge. Avoiding the spikes, wait for morpha to form the first tentacle. When it does, lock on and hookshot it out onto land. Keep hookshotting morpha until the ball is right near the corner. Still L-targeting, circle around it until you are in line with the corner. Now begin stabbing morpha rapidly into the corner, trapping the monster to suffer your onslaught until its death. Jumpslashing will give it time to escape so don't bother. Just do this until Morpha dies. Simple right?

Chest Choice
Skip it seriously, there's nothing really great in these chests. The large chest contains random ammo, so if you're low on arrows take this one. The small chest contains a random recovery item, including a heart container. Since I usually skip the chests there could be a possibility for more items, but really it doesn't seem worth it unless they somehow contain ice or light arrows (which in my 10 test runs of each, neither had)

BONGO BONGO
暗黒幻影獣ボンゴボンゴ
- Set Arrows to Y (If not already)
- Set lens of truth to [II] aka upper touch button
- Set Hookshot/longshot to X
- Set Hover Boots to [IV] aka lower touch button

Can I get a drum roll please? Bongo Bongo is the last real threat you'll face and then you're home free! Hover boots will make your shots easier, but I find the fight just as easy without them. Slap the lens of truth on and never take it off. (It's the only time we actually use magic anyway) Aim for the right hand (left on MQ), shoot when you're bounced in the air-- if you don't have hover on-- for better accuracy. Immediately lock on to the left hand as the right is turned blue. If you are quick the hand won't even attack yet. Even so, you can still attack even when the hand lunges at you as long as it isn't making a fist. Even if the hand is above you, you can still nail it with an arrow. The red eye will open and your next strike should begin. L click twice to lock-on and hold it once its on the eye. Use either an arrow while it dashes at you or pull Bongo to you with the hookshot/longshot. If you have the giant's knife, you should be able to kill Bongo Bongo in one try, otherwise if you use the hammer or master sword... jumpslash as much as you possibly can. Repeat this a second time and bongo should fall in no time at all. That wasn't so scary was it?

Chest Choice
Skip. Seriously. All you need for Twinrova is your mirror shield and the items you should have already gotten. Not worth the wait. If you must, chose the the small chest since it contains a heart container while the large usually just has a generic recovery item usually.

TWINROVA
双生魔導師ツインローバ
- Set Mirror Shield

The final bout! Are you ready!? This battle is the longest unfortunately but there's just no way to avoid it. The first part of the battle is pretty simple. Don't L- target the witches and wait for one to attack. Hit the other witch with her sister's attack using the mirror shield 4 times. It doesn't matter what order this happens as the witches share a health meter. The fun part begins when they combine to form Twinrova! The big lady will try to throw either fire or ice at you. You want to absorb three of the same. Don't miss a single one because it will cost you a great deal of time. The first time is easy since there is no variation in the elements she throws. She'll fall down and allow you to land 2 hits on her so make them count. You can get to her with the hookshot if you're close enough or by walking with the hoverboots. The easiest method however, is to just jump, turning the end of the jump into a jumpslash. If you're using the giant's knife, only slash her once, or use the master sword. This way Twinrova won't mix up her attacks and you'll be able to kill her faster, as she dies in 3 jumpslashes from the giant's knife. The master sword will kill her in 6 jumpslashes so you'll need to endure 3 elemental barrages. The 3rd time she'll be crafty and attempt to mix up the elements, just remain calm and wait for three of the same color, dodging the opposite element. When she dies, congratulations-- you've won!

Other important info:

-Giant's Knife has a 10-20 hit limit.

Chest Contents (No damage)
Queen Gohma- Large: Kid Ammo (Deku Sticks/Nuts/seeds) / small: Bombs (5~20)
King Dondogo- Large: Kid Ammo / small: Heart Container
Barinade- Large: Deku Nuts / small: Heart Container
Phantom Ganon- Large: Giant's Knife(rare), Heart Container, Big Quiver / small: Longshot
Volvagia- Large: Heart Container / small: Hover Boots, Iron Boots(rare)
Morpha- Large: Adult Ammo (Deku Nuts, Arrows) Biggest Quiver (rare) / Small: Green Potion, Red Potion, Blue Potion
Bongo Bongo- Large: Recovery Heart / Small: Heart Container

Note: all chests have a chance to be a bottle-- beside the gohma chests.

So are you happy with you're time? No? Then try again! Yes? YOU CAN DO BETTER!! This is the addictive nature of this mode.
Master quest is pretty much a piece of cake as well, since you should already master not getting hit. Only real difference is the lack of chests.

Hope this guide helps. If you post your times here I'll make a leaderboard. :) Feel free to ask any questions if need be. My personal best is 7:58.29

Leaderboard
1. Fierce- 7:58.29

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom