• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fierce Deity

Fierce Deity, one of the most ominous and mysterious characters in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. He is an eight foot tall, possible god, character that Link can transform into using Fierce Deity's Mask.

For those of you that don't know, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a direct sequel from it's previous game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. In Majora's Mask, Link gets mutated into a Deku Scrub, a small wooden creature. Eventually, Link gets the curse lifted from him. So the Deku Scrub gets trapped trapped inside a mask. Allowing Link to change between his hylian (basically the same concept as human) form and deku scrub form. Throughout the game, Link obtains two more masks transforming him into a Goron, (a rock creature) and a Zora (a fish creature). He also obtains twenty non-transformation masks, most of which are optional to obtain. In the end of the game, Link goes to the moon and meets different children there. If he has all twenty non-transformation masks, he can obtain the Fierce Deity's Mask.

Fierce_Deity%27s_Mask.png

Fierce Deity, or Oni Link, means exactly what the name is: menacing god. "Could this mask's dark powers be as bad as Majora?" Says the in-game description on Fierce Deity. Personally, I believe, and most people believe, that Fierce Deity is stronger than Majora. "He is the true bad guy" says one of the children on the moon. They're probably right. As when Link finally fights Majora using Fierce Deity's Mask is so easy to defeat Majora. Kijin no Kamen is the Japanese name for Fierce Deity, which translates exactly to Devil God's Mask. This definitely determines that Fierce Deity is a demonic, evil god.

Oni Link (a nickname for Fierce Deity) means many things from Japanese. Oni means a large monster, usually red, pink, or blue-gray, with horns, three fingers, three toes, or in certain occasions three eyes. Though I don't know how he got his nickname to be Oni Link, I can support the name. Fierce Deity's clothes is a dark-blue, and his "third eye" could be the blue indentation in between his eyes.

Fierce_Deity_Link.png

Theories

One theory suggests that Majora wanted someone to get the mask, as to make them go mad with power, thus joining Majora's "army". However, Link did not get possessed because he has will-power and has a kind heart. (as he does in every Zelda game.) so Majora did not see this coming and got overwhelmed.

Majora could just be messing with Link, as he never does kill him right away on their encounters. For example, Majora turns Link into a Deku at the beginning, rather than killing him. Or how he makes the moon fall in a short amount of three days, rather than speeding it up or finding a different way to bring doomsday. Or how he basically gave Link Fierce Deity's Mask. This all could be a sense of fair play. But then again, facts can also oppose this. The reason Majora did not turn Link into a deku rather then killing him could be that he did not know he was a threat at the time. So he turned him into a deku scrub for his amusement. The reason he made the moon fall is that he wanted an interesting way to kill everyone, and he couldn't speed it up because he didn't know how. The reason to oppose Fierce Deity's Mask is that he didn't know it existed, or as I said earlier he could've given it to him as a sense of fair play. When you put this theory in perspective however, it seems much more likely for him to be playing games with Link.

Fierce Deity could be Link's Terminan counterpart, as Dark Link is assumably Link's Hylian counterpart. This is highly likely due to the fact that each Hylian has a Terminan counterpart, Like Malon (Hylian) to Romani (Terminan).

In the beginning, when Link comes back to the Happy Mask Salesman after he retrieves his Ocarina of Time, He tells him more about Majora's Mask. He says a "Hexed Tribe" sealed away Majora's Mask and worshiped a deity. I believe this hexed tribe is the Twili or Shiekah. The Deity they worshiped could possibly be Fierce Deity. The reason he got sent in a mask is that he was too strong so the goddesses banished him into the mask.

Majora could possibly altogether just be simply insane. He could possibly have made the moon fall for his own sick pleasure. Or he could make Link go through everything because Majora is mad. Majora could just give Link the mask because as said earlier, he is insane.

Conclusion

To conclude this, what I believe is that Fierce Deity was worshiped by the Twili or the Sheikah, but got banished into the mask. He is also Link's Terminan Counterpart. He is stronger than Majora and has his own kind of power, his own kind of Triforce of Power. He is not evil nor good, but he works alone, not for Majora or Ganondorf or anyone. Majora is only a distraction and the real enemy, is Fierce Deity.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
That is assuming that the Twili have some connection with Majora's and Fierce Deity's mask, wich is pure speculation and fan-fiction.
You have nothing to support that, period

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I had this idea that majora was never a person but maybe an weapon used by the Dark interlopers when they attacked Hyrule or that he was the leader of the Dark Interlopers and was banished into the mask and was trapped in Termina while the rest of the Interlopers were trapped in the Twilight Realm. This may have been done to keep there leader apart from the rest of the army. But this is just a theory and there is absolutly no proof behind it.

I had this idea that majora was never a person but maybe an weapon used by the Dark interlopers when they attacked Hyrule or that he was the leader of the Dark Interlopers and was banished into the mask and was trapped in Termina while the rest of the Interlopers were trapped in the Twilight Realm. This may have been done to keep there leader apart from the rest of the army. But this is just a theory and there is absolutly no proof behind it.[/quote said:
Well that is just a speculation.

I mean, it could be either Twili, or Sheikah. I'm going with Sheikah as the twili did not exist in Majora's Mask until 06 with the release of Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
Hm....
Okay, lets start by analyzing the reason why Majora might have turned Link into a Deku Scrub instead if simply killing him: At the time when the Skull Kid turned Link into a Deku Scrub, Majora wasn't in complete control, this was merely the Deku Kid playing 'harmless' prnaks on people around him, for that time he didn't want to cause any real harm other than to have 'fun'

I would think that as the time went by (in three days) Majora him self took more and more from the Skull Kid's mind until in the end he didn't need him anymore and at that time, it might have been too late to do anything baout the moon floating above the town. One can't say that the Skull Kid did everything on his accord seeing as how Majora took a hold of him as soon a she came in contact with the mask so he wasn't completely sure or aware of what he was doing at the time.

One can sya that perhaps Majora made it seem as if the things he was making the Skull Kid do were harmless pranks, tricking the Skull Kid into thinking that nothing bad was going to happen; I dare to say that because we all know that the Skull Kid isn't evil, he is never an evil character. I don't see him wanting to cause damage as Majora was making him do.

Now moving on....

As the reason why Majora gives Link the final Mask. Once we enter the moon, we see the children playing, they're enjoying them selves around a big tree, the weather is nice, everything is pleasant. Link gives away all his masks and then when he talks to Majora he has none left, now we see that Majora is there portraid as a child which leads me to think and believe that Majora him self is a child or merely has the mind of a child.

That also makes me think that the Masks, all of the Masks are merely toys to Majora, seeing as how Link has no masks left he would give him an extra one, just as a child would, peraps sharing his toys with another in order to have more fun during the 'game'

Now we think: wait, Link does have the three transformation masks left and he can chose to use them but once we enter the battle, we see that there are the other four previous monster masks hanging on the walls. That makes me think that perhaps, Majora wnated Link to have the same numbe rof masks as he did if no others were left. I really do think he was a child and gave Link the last mask in order to be 'equal' with him. Ya know, I have four masks, you have four masks?

More thought to come =)
Just give me a few hours xD <3

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I thought that maybe Majora was trapped in the mask like the Goron Mask or Zora MAsk. if so then couldm't that mean that as a person he was a child at heart or something

C

Cobalt

Conclusion
To conclude this, what I believe is that Fierce Deity was worshiped by the Twili or the Sheikah, but got banished into the mask. He is also Link's Terminan Counterpart. He is stronger than Majora and has his own kind of power, his own kind of Triforce of Power. He is not evil nor good, but he works alone, not for Majora or Ganondorf or anyone. Majora is only a distraction and the real enemy, is Fierce Deity.

Alright.

I agree that Fierce Deity may have been worshiped by the Twili or the Sheikah. I also posit the idea that this god may not have been banished, but ceased to exist, possibly in battle with Majora. After the battle, there is no clear winner and both are dead, then their worshipers capture their essence inside ceremonial masks. Maybe.

As for Fierce Deity being Link's Terminian counterpart, I don't know if I agree with that. It's plausible, though, in that every Terminian DOES have a Hyrulian counterpart, with the exception of Link, who is Hero to both. Fierce Deity's character is NOT that of a hero-type person, or entity, as it were. You're right, he's just as bad an influence as Majora, and Link can override it's influence through sheer force of will. Link inevitably MAKES it the Hero, it was not done by choice. Nor do I believe that Fierce Deity was a Hero-type before it's confinement inside the mask

With that, I must also conclude that the Fierce Deity doesn't have it's own Triforce of power. I don't know if Termina has it's own Triforce or not, that's disputable. But let's say it did. If Fierce Deity, or Majora for that matter, were to harness a Triforce, it would be the Triforce of Power, not Courage, and certainly not Wisdom.

Everything else I agree with and have nothing to add. Neither truly good nor truly bad, works alone, no allegiance to anyone, he's the real enemy, yep, that's a rap.

Awesome theory, I might add. I know I didn't agree with some of it, but I can tell you took the time to make it a stellar post.

With that, I must also conclude that the Fierce Deity doesn't have it's own Triforce of power. I don't know if Termina has it's own Triforce or not, that's disputable. But let's say it did. If Fierce Deity, or Majora for that matter, were to harness a Triforce, it would be the Triforce of Power, not Courage, and certainly not Wisdom.

I was using the Triforce of Power bit for a reference, rather than the actual thing. I'm saying that he is so strong and powerful it's as if he has his own triforce of power.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
You know, the japanese translation of the Fierce Diety's Mask, Devil God''s Mask, may refer to the fact that the mask was in Majora's possession, and Majora is considered to be the Devil God (God of Darkness, perhaps?). He may have obtained the mask a long time ago, and cursed it, like he cursed pretty much everything else.

My theory is that the Fierce Diety is a God of Light, judging by his white clothes and discs of light he shoots from his sword. I believe that since Link is chosen by the gods, when he put on the mask, the curse that Majora put on it was broken.

This is just my theory/fanfic, so don't take it entirely seriously.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Personally, I don't really buy too much into the "demonic possessive god" thing, at least not in the same literal sense as other people.

Majora's Mask is a game based around Faith vs Doubt; everything in it is designed to be a test of faith, of courage. Majora is the ultimate symbol of Doubt, acting often between the extremes of a lost child, and someone who has lost their sanity. It takes the Skull Kid as a host, when he is consumed by doubt- his friends the giants have left him, and the skull children are children who became lost in the forest. It symbolises a lack of faith, of doubt in ones self, like when one losses their way in life.

Therefore, it makes sense for the Fierce Deity to be the ultimate symbol of Faith, in order to keep the balance. If you have enough faith to gain all of the masks, and then complete all 4 moon mini-dungeons; where you have to give those hard-earned masks away without knowing what will happen or if you'll need them, then the game rewards you with the Fierce Deity Mask.
Note all the dialogue that says Fierce Deity is evil is said by Majora, or the rest of the moon children- from their point of view to have so much faith is to be evil, it is the complete opposite of the chaos and doubt they worked to enforce- Faith is the enemy of Doubt.

However, the "narrator" textbox just says "Could its dark power be as bad as Majora?" What this means is it is detrimental to have too much faith in things- you can become blinded by your faith. Hence Fierce Deity's pupil-less eyes (a 'blinded' metaphor also used in Lanayru's lesson in TP) So in a way, having too much faith in things, to much faith everything will always turn out alright, is just as bad as doubting everything, thinking nothing will ever turn out alright.

"Oni Link" spawned from an ironic play of words- the person who is "pretending to be the oni" in a game is the Japanese way of saying the person who is "it" in a game (say of tag). At the end, Majora asks you to play a game (of "good guys and bad guys"), where you're the bad guy- so in japanese you're the oni, hence "Oni Link".

But hey, it's fun to theorise about possible backstories for him, but personally I think in the end, Fierce Deity and Majora are just ment metaphors, trying to teach us that neither true faith or true doubt are the answers- you must be somewhere between the extremes. The Zelda Team didn't necessarily need to give them backstories backstories in order to convey the message~

(It was kind of hard to explain, but I hope you guys understand it xD)

L

Luminary

I completely agree that they (and all Zelda characters) have no backstory beyond what they need to tell the story, but for fun I'll say this:

The game claims that Majora's Mask was used in dark rituals by a tribe that lived in what would become Ikana Canyon.
Nothing shows they were Twili or Shiekah but they may have been a mirrored version of them, who knows?
It began to feed on negative emotions and took on a life of it's own. Then some time just before the death of the tribe, or the tribe becoming part of the Ikanians at else, it was banished.

So thats the only canon on the mask.

My thoughts: It was used for rituals, rituals as in a religious act, and religions need a god to work. Right? :D
So if Majora's Mask was used by priests of the Fierce Deity, Majora would only be a by-product of the Fierce Deity religion.
Now the Fierce Deity mask itself might just have been made by Majora within the three days or it could be ancient, but I think it could be worse than Majora or at least represent something worse.

Oh, one more thing, The Happy Mask Salesman must be the last of the tribe. I think we can agree on that.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
That would explain all dah lil happy mask children living in the moon dancing around the tree. And fierce dirty wouldn't have had his own religion. Diety means MINOR god.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom