• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fierce Deity Theory

I apologies if this was already posted.

But what if the Fierce Deity battle with Majora's mask was the official battle that's considered canon?

Since the mask has been given to Link by Majora's Mask, would it be safe to assume that the Fierce Deity was created to ensure that the spirit within Majora's mask would live on within Link and live on as The Fierce Deity?

This Oni Link has since become the main antagonist in much of my fanworks. Most notably as The Undead Deity.

The most convincing evidence to this theory is when the Happy Mask man said the power has left Majora's Mask? If so, where did it go? Did it just die? Or did it find a new owner?

My theory ultimately is that Termina is a dream world, and that Majora's Mask used Link to escape into the real world.

What do you guys think?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think Termina isn't a dream. Its real, but there are different kinds of real. Its a parallel world; foreign but tangible. Majora is an ultimate evil. A force whose power exceeds Ganon's might. Like all evils, he sought destruction. The Fierce Deity is also in my fanfiction. I like to imagine he is a power used by a past or parallel incarnation of Link. He used the power to defeat a great evil, but it overcame him. He died and was purified using the Song of Healing. This dark power was banished into the mask, but its corruption and influence could potentially corrupt any who use it. Link didn't know what he was getting into when he put it on.

I'm glad we share the same point of views. Especially when it comes to him being a super power that's above Ganon.

In my fiction, Majora serves as an alter ego of the Triforce of Power (yes, the triforce of power is evil in my humble opinion) much like Aghanim is the alter ego of Ganon.

But enough about my fiction, back to the theory. Who else believes that Oni Link was created by Majora?

I believe that the Fierce Deity Mask, just like the Deku, Goron, and Zora Masks, was actually an embodyment of a certain power. The kid that gave it to you had seen or felt that power inside the mask and asumed that the mask was too powerfull for his own good and gave it to link instead. the reason for the four trials(That's my opinion on what they were called) from the other kids was a way to show that Link was worthy enough for the mask itsself.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
But what if the Fierce Deity battle with Majora's mask was the official battle that's considered canon?

According to HH, the battle between Fierce Deity Link and Majora is the canon battle.

But you raise some interesting points. Such as when you say that Majora's purpose in giving Link the Fierce Deity mask was to ensure that it's lived on, i.e. if Link defeated it it could flee to the Fierce Deity mask.

I always thought that that when the HMS says that power has left the mask, it meant the entity that was sealed in the mask was now dead.

And it's confirmed that Termina is an alternate dimension to Hyrule, not a dream.

My personal thoughts on the Fierce Deity is that it was an entity that was the arch-nemesis to Majora, and was, like Majora, sealed inside a mask. Majora gives you the mask because it wants to defeat both Link and the Fierce Deity.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
So what you're saying is that Termina (thus MM) was a dream?

Let's take your premise of Majora escaping into the real world.

If Termina was a dream or hallucination, then the events of MM including Majora would be as well.

What you are proposing is that the diseased imaginings of Link's mind would become sapient and escape, which is unlikely, even by Zelda's standards.

Now keeping in mind, this may or may not be a theory to take too seriously. But it is a very good theory to support as a good premise for fan fiction.

Now, about Terminal being an illusion.

I do believe Termina is a world that is formed through Link's memories, thus exists in his head. If I get technical, that would appear to be the case since Termina has many of Ocarina of Time's characters. Now more realistically speaking, those characters appear for no other reason than Nintendo's habit of rehashing pre-existing content. Often, when I see people making theories, I find it humorous that some neglect to see the company behind the franchise or even bother to ask "why did the company do this?"

I'd say, chances are, this theory is not what Nintendo had originally planned or even have in mind. But because of how open ended they left things, if they were to want to make this the premise, it is certainly possible. Therefore, it is a perfectly reasonable theory to see in fanfiction because it appears to be convincible.

You state that if Termina was an illusion, than Majora would certainly be to. But what if Majora was something more? As I originally said, the Majora that appears in the game could be an alter ego to some higher evil power. There could be many reasons for this antagonist to want to trap Link within his own consciousness. My personal theory is that Link is the Hero of Time, therefore the strongest. It is my theory that the entire purpose behind the plot of Majora's Mask was to create Oni Link.

Perhaps the evil being witnessed or heard of the fall of Ganon, and that began the evil plot to make The Hero of Time an even greater threat than Ganon could ever be.

Now, deep down, if I were to believe if Nintendo would use this, I would be doubtful. But I have not yet been convinced that it's not a plausible theory.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Now keeping in mind, this may or may not be a theory to take too seriously. But it is a very good theory to support as a good premise for fan fiction.

I do believe Termina is a world that is formed through Link's memories, thus exists in his head. If I get technical, that would appear to be the case since Termina has many of Ocarina of Time's characters. Now more realistically speaking, those characters appear for no other reason than Nintendo's habit of rehashing pre-existing content. Often, when I see people making theories, I find it humorous that some neglect to see the company behind the franchise or even bother to ask "why did the company do this?"
Well I do see people time and time again bring up the dream idea and although it seems likely I still think the canon information counts rather than just speculation. I think most of the reused characters were used because Majora's Mask was basically built of Ocarina of Time's software so it was just more efficient. I think Nintendo got away with this by hinting at the idea of a dream. However if what you say is true and this is apart of Link's imagination than why are the four Giants in the world, why is there the Fierce Deity, Majora etc. These are all new deities that Link has yet to encounter before, therefore If this were a world conjured up by Link's memories then where do these new deities come from?

I don't believe Termina is an illusion because I know it's been confirmed as a parallel dimension multiple times and once I find a quote of confirmation I'm putting in my sig. and also the re-used character models aren't simply rehashed they couldn't make a totally new cast of NPCs because MM was kind of a bet between Miyamoto and Aonuma. Aonuma wanted to make a brand new Zelda game instead of the fabled Ura Zelda expansion pack and so Miyamoto challenged him to make this new Zelda in a year and they'd forget about Ura Zelda. But before I get off topic with Zelda Gaiden, I'll get back to the Fierce Deity. I kinda like the idea of Majora creating FD as a scapegoat in case she was defeated by Link (mostly cause Majora being alive would give a reason for the Hero of Time to return to conclude his epic trilogy) but I think when HMS says the power has left the mask he is saying that Link killed Majora. I like to the FD is the spirit of Link's Terminian counterpart after he sealed Majora into the mask and by giving the mask to Link, Majora would be able to kill two birds with one stone, defeating her old nemesis and her new enemy as well. I would delve into the theory of Majora and FD's past as parallel deities of moon and sun but who likes supporting theory with theory?

Well I do see people time and time again bring up the dream idea and although it seems likely I still think the canon information counts rather than just speculation. I think most of the reused characters were used because Majora's Mask was basically built of Ocarina of Time's software so it was just more efficient. I think Nintendo got away with this by hinting at the idea of a dream. However if what you say is true and this is apart of Link's imagination than why are the four Giants in the world, why is there the Fierce Deity, Majora etc. These are all new deities that Link has yet to encounter before, therefore If this were a world conjured up by Link's memories then where do these new deities come from?

Just like a parasite would be foreign to its host, so can memories which never existed. What I'm stating (again I am aware of Nintendo just rehashing the same characters) that Link does not need to remember Majora for him to exist within the dreamworld. I am suggesting that Majora is an intruder, and some memories are induced by Majora's intrusion.

The events which unfold ultimately create Oni Link which becomes present in the real world, say if Link puts on his mask again. Which I believe as well follows him to the real world.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium

The supposed reason behind the character models being the same, besides Nintendo using the same engine and being lazy, is that Termina is a parallel universe, to quote HH "a parallel world", to Hyrule. Therefore it contains the "same people" in the sense that these people are the same people who are in Hyrule in a different universe where different outcomes have occurred and made life different for them.

If that doesn't make sense, here is a more in-depth explanation of parallel universes: HowStuffWorks "Do parallel universes really exist?"

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Just like a parasite would be foreign to its host, so can memories which never existed. What I'm stating (again I am aware of Nintendo just rehashing the same characters) that Link does not need to remember Majora for him to exist within the dreamworld. I am suggesting that Majora is an intruder, and some memories are induced by Majora's intrusion.

The events which unfold ultimately create Oni Link which becomes present in the real world, say if Link puts on his mask again. Which I believe as well follows him to the real world.
Well their is still many other things to be explained then, how did Link conjure up the Four Giants? The Ancient Tribe, the main bosses from each respective Temple and even the many characters that did "not" feature in Ocarina of Time. You are proposing that Majora's Mask is a dream world made up by Link's memories and even if Majora was an intruder it still doesn't explain as to why the other characters and deities show up.

Termina has its own mythology and world, it's a separate world as to Hyrule that runs in parallel, the explanation for some of the reoccurring characters, such as; The Happy Mask Salesman and the Skull Kid are simply through the connection in the Lost Woods. In my opinion Termina could be another split of events that happened at one point in time and the similar characters are just the alternate versions, as even though it has its own world it's bound to have some similarities with its opposing world.

HylianHero lead a pretty convincing argument.

JaCG, might have to still say that it's not hard for this entire reality to be foreign, being built using Link's consciously. In real life today we have parasites who can brainwash grasshoppers to go dive in a lake and drown.

Though its highly unlikely that Nintendo would use this theory, but I believe that everything Link has experienced to be the result of Majora.

But HylianHero actually looked up "parallel world", which pretty much is Nintendo's statement on what Termina is, I'm going to read that page.

But I still can't doubt my eyes, Majora's Mask himself gives Link the fierce deity mask, it has ultimate power, but wouldn't that be Nintendo's way in saying "yo! You just got that from the bad guy, are you going to be bought by temptation?"

Clearly, since everybody who has ever received the mask wore it, that pretty much seals Link's fate, that's why the Fierce Deity mask was considered canon.

Also, I believe Oni translates to demon or devil in some Japanese literature. Not sure, my theory still stands that Oni Link is not a good Link. Lol

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
HylianHero lead a pretty convincing argument.

JaCG, might have to still say that it's not hard for this entire reality to be foreign, being built using Link's consciously. In real life today we have parasites who can brainwash grasshoppers to go dive in a lake and drown.

Though its highly unlikely that Nintendo would use this theory, but I believe that everything Link has experienced to be the result of Majora.

But HylianHero actually looked up "parallel world", which pretty much is Nintendo's statement on what Termina is, I'm going to read that page.

But I still can't doubt my eyes, Majora's Mask himself gives Link the fierce deity mask, it has ultimate power, but wouldn't that be Nintendo's way in saying "yo! You just got that from the bad guy, are you going to be bought by temptation?"

Clearly, since everybody who has ever received the mask wore it, that pretty much seals Link's fate, that's why the Fierce Deity mask was considered canon.

Also, I believe Oni translates to demon or devil in some Japanese literature. Not sure, my theory still stands that Oni Link is not a good Link. Lol
Well essentially this is what I was trying to explain, the parallel dimension of Termina runs directly with the world of Hyrule, the reason for as there are similar concepts and characters is that it is an alternate set for events, this explains as to why similar people play very different roles and such. I definitely wouldn't say that the Fierce Deity is actually a power serving for the good of the world, even Majora considers the Fierce Deity to be the true bad guy.

I consider the canon events of the final battle as Majora wanting to relive the epic battle that once took place before they were transformed into the form of masks. I like to think that Majora was simply wanting to Link to wear the Mask to defeat the Fierce Deity, which Majora could not defeat before. This is why Majora summoned Link up and gave him the ultimate power, as Majora wanted to defeat the power of the Fierce Deity for an unknown reason.

All this talk about Majora's Mask just made me develop a new question that could lead to its own string of theories. Why does Majora's Mask remarkably look like an owl's face?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom