• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler FFVI Vs FFVII

FFVI or FFVII

• FF VI is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FF VII is better

• Unsure

• Cait Sith is creepy

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Oh man. These two games. I love both so much. Well, except VII for crashing my computer, but that's beside the point. These two games may be the best RPGs to date.

One is a 2d adventure through a land caught in war between evil, good, science, and magic. This game is in many ways a more refined FFIV, although FFVI has perhaps the greatest cast of characters to date. There's so many fleshed and lovable characters, and, in a bold move, there is no central protagonist. It's everyone's adventure. Locke has a story of a thief seeking both adventure and redemption from his past. Terra seeks freedom and to know who she is. Celes seeks to find love and do justice to the world. Cyan seeks to avenge the loss of family and nation, and even care for those who face the same fate. From then on there's Strago, Ren, Shadow, and they're amazing tale. As well the dedicated warrior Sabin and the noble womanizer Edgar and the eccentric gambler with a broken past Setzer. It's a simple amazing cast.

From there, the amazing story in intertwined with great and intuitive gameplay, great music, and story for all. I absolutely love it.

FFVII is definitely the more well-known game. (For our purposes here, ignore the Compilation). It has an interesting cast. Cloud is an interesting and likable protagonist. He also goes around with a level of confidence and B.A. that Locke wishes he had. Cloud is tough, moral, and kind, but we also see he has a dark side. had I really enjoyed watching him face the demons of his past. The loss of Aeris brought down by the revelation of his origin as a clone and Tifa's lies, betrayal of his friends, and then finally his redemption as a hero and love with Tifa. It's well executed, and I wish people would pay more attention to the story after Aeri's death instead of just what happened. I loved the mature themes of Tifa and Cloud's relationship, as well as the infinitelly ballsy move to kill off such a great character as Aeris. Although Celes's suicide jump could be seen as even bolder and more heart-wrenching. Face it, she gives up and tries to end it all, only to find hope and redemption. That can't be topped. The other characters are also fun and interesting (Though i can't stand Cait Sith). Still, the overall cast was likely better it FFVI.

When comparing the villains, we can see that FFVII has more depth. We see the greedy Shinra and their psychotic leadership. We see the creepy Don, as well as the deep and dark story behind Hojo and Sephiroth The story of Sephiroth may be one of the most complex and fascinating stories I've seen a villian have in a game, but then again I feel it goes to far. There's a lot I find hard to follow, such as whether it is Jenova or Sephorith you fight early on, Sephiroth's presence in that weird crystal thing, and a lot of little details I found hard to track down. Still, Kefka and the Emperor have great charm and style. The Emperor may come off as genereic and evil, but even then we see his ideology of technology. Then of course General Leo balances it all out by showing the human side of the Empire, granting us a short-lived but sympathetic character who even befriends Celes to some extent. I also enjoyed being pretty much able to understand the story. I mean it was thought-provoking, and the symbolism of the final boss fight is insane, but for the most part I didn't get lost like it I did with FFVII.

I could go on forever like this. Watch the completionist's work for more reflection on the game. Which game do you prefer?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Final Fantasy 7, easily. Both superb games but 7 is just a step above imo. And it's not even my favourite FF! :P

LilyPadGeek

Some Weird Person
I love FF7 more than FF6. It's so close though! FF6 was the ending of an era for the FF series, but then FF7 came and just did things better for me. That's just me though. Except the good FF games ended after 9 for me... (don't hate me. Put your pitchforks away.)

Garo

Boy Wonder
I marked both in the poll because I love both of the games for very different reasons and would really have a hard time choosing one over the other. VI is a fantastic work of fantasy that dares to explore what might happen if evil actually wins, for once, and the back half of that game is utterly enthralling. Seeing the broken world, an outcome brought about by your failures, is powerful. But so is VII's orison for identity, a troubling and often unnerving look into the conflict between the way one perceives oneself and the way one is actually perceived by others. Cloud is regularly chided for being a boring character, but I personally found his search for identity really, really powerful. To be jerked through so many different understandings of oneself and one's personal history is damaging stuff.

I love them both a heck of a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom