• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Few Questions About First 6 Zeldas

Zelda didn't transport him back to the present, she transported him back to the temple. He put the sword back and looks at it while young (because he put the sword back in) and then walks away. She played the ocarina for him to be teleported back to the temple. The Ocarina didn't have the power to speed time up by 7 years (only 3 days forward and backward according to MM) or else the emblems would not have been needed in order to go in 7 years with the master sword.

3:05 ocarina/8:55: back to the temple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8zd1ZR-hc

She instructed him to go back to where he was supposed to be and she teleported him to the temple for him to put the sword back in himself.

How he had the ocarina in the first place in MM in the beginning doesn't make sense when he gave it to Zelda in the future in OoT.

Last edited:
Zelda didn't transport him back to the present, she transported him back to the temple. He put the sword back and looks at it while young (because he put the sword back in) and then walks away. She played the ocarina for him to be teleported back to the temple. The Ocarina didn't have the power to speed time up by 7 years (only 3 days forward and backward according to MM) or else the emblems would not have been needed in order to go in 7 years with the master sword.

3:05 ocarina/8:55: back to the temple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8zd1ZR-hc

She instructed him to go back to where he was supposed to be and she teleported him to the temple for him to put the sword back in himself.

How he had the ocarina in the first place in MM in the beginning doesn't make sense when he gave it to Zelda in the future in OoT.

Emblems aren't needed at all, the Master Sword is the only thing that makes Link "travel" through time. When he first pulls it, his soul and body are not yet ready to wield it and so the sword seals him in the Sacred Realm for 7 years. Yes, he gave the Ocarina to Zelda in the future, but since it was in her possession and it is an item that is immune to the natural flows of time, it stayed with her when she played the song of time. I believe that her playing the song was one part of everything going back to how it's supposed to be, the other would be putting the Master Sword back in the pedestal. Think of it as the same effect of Link keeping his items whenever he traveled back and forth in OoT and when he traveled back in MM.

Zelda used her powers as a Sage to send Link back in time; neither the Master Sword nor the Ocarina of Time was the key element. Time travelling through the Master Sword does not create different timelines; this is evidenced by Link's actions in the past affecting those of the future.
It is true that Adult Link gave Zelda the OoT, but since CT Zelda gives it to Link in MM, she obviously has it on the CT, which means that Link either was sent back to a time before he met Zelda or that he gave it to her during their meeting at the end of OoT.

Link, give the Ocarina to me... As a Sage, I can return you to your original time with it.

/Blue Window

She said that but he was returned to the time span of that future. Not back to the present. He can't wield the master sword while young. So showing him in front of the sword in the temple represents that he put it back in the position and returned to the present himself. Why else would he even be there in front of the sword inside the temple when he could have been teleported anywhere else? Default position when you start the game in young mode is the woods. Default position for adult mode is the temple. The emblems were used to open the door of time, but the master sword was used in conjunction with the 3 stones for time speed. If the stones were not in place and he somehow breached the door of time, the sword from the pedestal would not have the power for time speeding. Link couldn't even pick the sword up in alttp if he didn't have the 3 pendants. So the sword is the key for that, otherwise he would have been able to speed time anywhere.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Also, since zelda 1, 2, alttp, awakening, OoT, and Majora's Mask are in the same storyline, why is it that Link was abandoned in the lost woods (OoT) when he had family?
OoT/MM Link is not the same Link as in the other games. OoT takes place a long time before LttP, telling the story of the Imprisoning War. So the other games have no bearing on Link being abandoned in the woods. It's just a 'local' backstory to OoT.

Also, from this quote: "Shigeru Miyamoto, after Ocarina of Time was released was asked "Where do all the Zelda games fall into place when arranged chronologically by their stories?" and gave an answer suggesting that he saw Link to the Past as taking place after the original games:

Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past. It's not very clear where Link's Awakening fits in--it could be anytime after Ocarina of Time."

How could alttp still fit there when at the beginning of alttp, Link and Zelda met for the 'first time' yet again?
First, that timeline is incorrect. Miyamoto asked Nintendo Power not to publish that, and he corrected himself in another interview early the next year. The correct timeline was OoT-LttP(/LA)-LoZ/AoL. Second, again, they aren't all the same Link. LttP's box explains that it takes place long before LoZ-Link's adventure.

If Link returned the master sword in OoT to the pedestal in the castle, why is it in the lost woods in alttp?
A lot of time has passed. Who knows what happened?

If there really is a timeline, then why would every generation have ppl with the exact same names and similar likenesses (Link, Zelda, Impa, Ganon, etc.)
Familiarity, as Satsy said.

And even if there is a timeline, how could the previous generations not have told the current generations of 'the legend' considering in most of the new zelda games, link and zelda are almost always meeting for the first time? (It's obvious zelda may have been told because she's always contacting Link, but how could Link not have known anything?).
The legends are passed down. The people (at least important people) of LttP know of the Imprisoning War. The people of WW know of the HoT. How could Link not have known anything? He's just an ordinary boy. He's not part of some fated lineage, and only ends up as a hero because of his outstanding courage.

A lot of time has passed. Who knows what happened?

I just read somewhere yesterday that the lost woods area, where the master sword is, is supposed where the ruins of the temple of time was. The lost woods must have expanded. If so, it sure did expand alot. Areas sure don't shift THAT much in reality @.@ Only way that would make sense completely from that concept that I saw would be if Hyrule Castle was destroyed at some point and rebuilt.

The legends are passed down. The people (at least important people) of LttP know of the Imprisoning War. The people of WW know of the HoT. How could Link not have known anything? He's just an ordinary boy. He's not part of some fated lineage, and only ends up as a hero because of his outstanding courage.

Exactly. Legends are passed down. Meaning at least at some point, you would think that some family member would have told him sometime or another about his ancestors :P

Last edited:
Originally posted by shinra358

She said that but he was returned to the time span of that future. Not back to the present.

Link is a child at the ending, which he is in the "past", may I ask how he can still be in the "future" then?

He can't wield the master sword while young. So showing him in front of the sword in the temple represents that he put it back in the position and returned to the present himself. Why else would he even be there in front of the sword inside the temple when he could have been teleported anywhere else? Default position when you start the game in young mode is the woods. Default position for adult mode is the temple. The emblems were used to open the door of time, but the master sword was used in conjunction with the 3 stones for time speed. If the stones were not in place and he somehow breached the door of time, the sword from the pedestal would not have the power for time speeding. Link couldn't even pick the sword up in alttp if he didn't have the 3 pendants. So the sword is the key for that, otherwise he would have been able to speed time anywhere.

Link always shows up in front of the Pedestal of Time when he is sent back in time. We do not know why Zelda chose to send Link there, perhaps because the developers found it strange to send Link back to another place.
The reason why it is a bit inconvenient to think that Zelda sent Link to the Temple of Time, where Link then put the Master Sword back himself, is because Link flies away in a blue light and right away appears as a child. The split timeline later explains why Link could not just put back the Sword. If he had done so, he would just have ended up in the normal past, but Wind Waker and Majora's Mask shows us that the actions of child Link did not affect the future in which Ganondorf was defeated.

The Spiritual Stones do not hae anything to do with time travel, they are used to open the Door of Time together with the Ocarina of Time. The only timetravelling takes place when Link puts the Master Sword back in its pedestal as an adult, whereupon he goes back in time.
However, the Spiritual Stones are missing in the ending scene. This, together with some other things, has sparked many debates regarding at what time Link was sent back to. There is, however, no definite answer.

I hope this can explain some things for you!

/Blue Window

Last edited:
Link is a child in the ending because he is in the Present (past), yes, because he put the sword back in the pedestal. He can't hold that sword while he is a child. They just don't show him as an adult putting it back. They just show him standing in front of it because he had already put it back for the sake that you've already seen the adult to child transformation throughout the entire game plenty of times. So by the time you see him in front as a kid, he is in the Present (past).

When you're a child and you start your savefile, he starts at the woods. If he is an adult, he starts at the temple. So that is what I meant by that.

(I wish I could change the title of this thread to Zelda Chit-chat instead. I've chosen the wrong name for it :P)

Last edited:
All the tragedy that has befallen Hyrule was my doing... I was so young...I could not comprehend the consequences of trying to control the Sacred Realm. I dragged you into it, too. Now it is time for me to make up for my mistakes... You must lay the Master Sword to rest and close the Door of Time... However, by doing this, the road between times will be closed... Link, give the Ocarina to me... As a Sage, I can return you to your original time with it.

Why would Zelda want the Ocarina of Time to send Link back in time with if he can simply use the Master Sword? The way I gather, Zelda is quite clear that she will need the Ocarina of Time because when Link puts the sword back the road between times will be closed.

(On a side note: I actually think that Link in some way makes the sword end up in its pedestal, on account of it being present in WW, but that in any way is Zelda's magic that makes him go back in time.)

/Blue Window

Why would Zelda want the Ocarina of Time to send Link back in time with if he can simply use the Master Sword? The way I gather, Zelda is quite clear that she will need the Ocarina of Time because when Link puts the sword back the road between times will be closed.

(On a side note: I actually think that Link in some way makes the sword end up in its pedestal, on account of it being present in WW, but that in any way is Zelda's magic that makes him go back in time.)

/Blue Window

I think Link puts the sword back in the pedestal but Zelda playing the Ocarina sends them back in time as well and acts as a sort of locking mechanism with the Door of Time. Putting the sword back brings time back to the present, and her playing acts as a sort of time sealing magic. By doing that she seals away the evils and Sacred Realm that were previously open.

Why would Zelda want the Ocarina of Time to send Link back in time with if he can simply use the Master Sword?
Master sword in that pedestal. It can't happen unless he's in that spot in the temple of time with the emblems in place. He can't just time warp from any location. Only from that spot in this game.

Last edited:
To Crash

Your idea is quite plausible (since I assume you mean that the timeline splits). The Master Sword needs to stay on the AT, so I think that the most logical scenario is that Link puts it back, but that Zelda's magic ultimately sends him back (but it can be a combination of both). However, Ganondorf was already sealed thanks to the Sages' seal, but that's just a minor point.

/Blue Window

To Crash

Your idea is quite plausible (since I assume you mean that the timeline splits). The Master Sword needs to stay on the AT, so I think that the most logical scenario is that Link puts it back, but that Zelda's magic ultimately sends him back (but it can be a combination of both). However, Ganondorf was already sealed thanks to the Sages' seal, but that's just a minor point.

/Blue Window

When it comes to the split timeline... I'm kinda iffy on it myself. But yes, that's kind of what I was talking about. We know Ganondorf was sealed by the sages magic, so the Ocarina wasn't for that. But do remember that the Ocarina is necessary in order to open the Door of Time, so it's just as likely that it's needed to close, and lock, the Door of Time. It's the Master Sword that's responsible for Link's age and it would keep him that way until it's put back. The Master Sword is in both timelines... that much is certain, if there is a split. Which means that Link would indeed have returned the sword in the Adult line and it would remain in the Child line as well. This will account for the "divine prank" that's mentioned in Twilight Princess as well; Ganondorf would have it but no one would remember that he got it, so as far as they would know he just obtained it by some "divine prank". Link returns back to a time right when he obtains the Master Sword, which as well all know is also when Ganondorf was able to enter the Sacred Realm and obtain the Triforce. So... even though Ganondorf hasn't come to power yet, assuming split timeline theory here, he still has the Triforce of Power cause of the time period when Link came back. As far as Zelda having the Ocarina in MM as a child when Link gave it to her as an adult, well remember that it's a divine item and whenever Link travels through time, everything he has stays with him, so the same would go for Zelda, especially considering she's a sage AND a Triforce Wielder. Also, I think that the Master Sword and the Ocarina of Time are items that are above the normal influence of time and can exist outside of the natural bounds and limitations of it.

She was playing Zelda's Lullaby when she teleported him to the temple. That sound is useful in the game to basically unlock paths to the temples. Like a password to unlock something that only those with the royal seal only have access to. So I agree that it was used as a mechanism to seal the temple of time after Link left it. I think that the teleporting to the temple of Link was just Zelda's own power. Because the Ocarina can only teleport the person who actually holds it to key areas obtaining the royal seal. Link wasn't holding the Ocarina.

Zelda is seen with the power of teleportation in Smash Bros. (of herself), on Twilight Princess (Both her and Link), and in Ocarina of Time (of herself/Sheik)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom