• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Female Protagonist

Should There be Female Protaganists?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't Care

• No Comment

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd like for there to be more female pros that aren't sex symbols OR male-like in nature. Now that is limiting and also slightly sexist (a question I raise against myself: why shouldn't a female jump off a cliff when a male can?!), but honestly with the female protagonists we have so far, they are either a busty character who really is just there for guys to stare and/or slobber, or they are overly "butch" in the sense that they are gruff, could careless, and also have their own feminist mindset (if you ever play the game Aliens vs Predators, or watch the movie AVATAR [not The Last Airbender], you'll hear dialogue from a woman who sounds like she is 'hardened'). I like the kind of female protagonist who is light hearted and can empathize. Now, I realize that opens up so many possibilities of having this weakness or having to resort to this cliche manner, but I don't like the masculine females all that much.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
I voted "I don't care."
Not that I'm saying I don't care about the issue or anything, but rather, given a good setup, if you've developed the story right there's no way a well-developed male protagonist is going to make the game any better or worse than a well-developed female protagonist. Excluding some games like Medal of Honor where it's a "reenactment" (a very incorrect one) of a war where only men fought, or a game specifically designed around a traditional male or female role in society, I wouldn't care to play a male or a female either way.
A good example of this is in Pokemon. I was a male in R/B/Y/G/S, so when Crystal finally came around, I chose the chick specifically because I had never played a chick before. It changes the game absolutely nothing, but it adds a new element to the game if for nothing but practicality reasons. Any time I crack open a new game I always start as a male because I am one, but I usually start my second game as a female just so it's a little more of a new experience, but I don't enjoy any game more or less on the sex of the character I'm playing.

I think the best example of this is in the Elder Scrolls series. From the original, Arena, throughout Daggerfell, Morrowind, Oblivion, and in the new one coming up (hopefully), you can choose to be a male or a female. And this game, you explore and fight and slay demons and/or slay innocent civilians and do so many things that are traditionally "male" things. Yet you can always be a female. And I've played plenty of female games and enjoyed them all.
And there do concern this issue; there are female characters who will flirt with a male protagonist and snob a female protagonist, and vice versa. But it's always a great game, regardless of the sex of the character.

I think that things that are already established, like a male Link and a female Samus and such, should ALWAYS stay the way they are, and things like war games based in the past should stay the sex that would be more accurate, but just about anything and everything else would make no difference to me whether the lead was male or female, or you get a choice, or you switch between multiple characters, or whatever. Just make a good game, and make a good character, and the rest is just cake.

Kirino

Tatakae
I'd like for there to be more female pros that aren't sex symbols OR male-like in nature. Now that is limiting and also slightly sexist (a question I raise against myself: why shouldn't a female jump off a cliff when a male can?!), but honestly with the female protagonists we have so far, they are either a busty character who really is just there for guys to stare and/or slobber, or they are overly "butch" in the sense that they are gruff, could careless, and also have their own feminist mindset (if you ever play the game Aliens vs Predators, or watch the movie AVATAR [not The Last Airbender], you'll hear dialogue from a woman who sounds like she is 'hardened'). I like the kind of female protagonist who is light hearted and can empathize. Now, I realize that opens up so many possibilities of having this weakness or having to resort to this cliche manner, but I don't like the masculine females all that much.

Final Fantasy has great female characters. I though Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII was a pretty good mix. She's tough, and a bit rude, but at many points in the game you see a much softer side, and love for her sister. And she's still feminine, and fully clothed all the time. Tifa and Celes are also great examples.

S

Swift

Well, I look at it this way, do I really want to have the view of a guys *** the entire game, or a womans? I believe more female protagonists would be a lot more appealing to female gamers, for the reasons stated in other posts, and to guys as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom