• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Feedback

I find that people vary greatly in whether they like or seek feedback on their work and ideas. Some novice artists, for example, seek feedback on technique or composition from a mentor while others keep distant from any sort of input for fear of its stifling their originality and voice.

In conversation or discussion, some people like others to probe their thoughts and scrutinize their arguments critically, while others find such scrutiny too "academic" or heavy.

Some people seek and prefer feedback only from those with expertise in their field and others deliberately seek the popular view or a view from people from different interdisciplinary backgrounds or social contexts.

In what circumstances do you appreciate feedback, from whom, and of what type?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I really like to hear people's feedback on the things I make, whether it's graphics or artwork or writing. If all they say is that they enjoy it and talk about what they like about it, that's fine. But I also like constructive criticism. There's bound to be flaws or mistakes that I myself can't see, so it's good to have others who can see them point them out and point me in the right direction. Constructive criticism is very helpful.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Like Azure, I also like to get feedback on my various creations. It is a constant effort of mine to improve my artwork. I get a bit here and there, and I honestly wish I got more. Getting critiques motivate me to fix errors in the future, but when no one is around to recognize my art, I start to lose sight of why I even want to be a painter. I also like to get feedback on whatever ideas I come with, be it a serious project or a playful joke.

Other than that, I hardly ever want feedback. With IRL situations, I would much rather figure out the workings of the world on my own, rather than getting advice - be it good, bad, cliche, or otherwise.

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Yes, it hepls me a lot when I get feedback about my graphics and whatnot. But I usually don't get a lot because I only post in my threads whenever I get the chance to

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Wait, I was under the impression that hardly anyone wanted feedback in their art threads. If I had known I would have given out constructive criticism in all your art and graphics threads. I feel so dumb right now. Now that I think about it, hardly anyone gives me feedback on ZD, now that I think about it. I wish I had more, too.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I love and encourage honest feedback on my creative works. When a reader/viewer actually points out to me the parts they didn't enjoy or agree with, I love it, because I then know that the opinion they are expressing is their actual opinion. I also like to go back and look through whatever it is they are commenting on to see if I think they have a point, or if it's more a difference in opinions. I feel I really learn from this kind of feedback and when a repeat criticizer of my work turns around and leaves positive feedback, I feel like I have actually accomplished something :)

Clank

Hmm
It depends on the feedback. I appreciate people telling me how to improve, but I don't appreciate people saying that I'm going it wrong, or that I'm just flat out wrong without a logical explanation backing them up.

Golly the world needs feedback, how else would we improve? I mean there can be so really no good nasty feedback that just leaves me in tears, but if it's constructive I appreciate it. Take for example, recently I made this lovely lady that sells apples at the apple store a lovely card just for being such a great apple seller and gosh she loved it, she told me what she liked about it and then told me that I used a bit too much glitter, and because of that I use less glitter for my cards now. I value feedback.

I love feedback on just about everything, as long as it's honest and someone gives it a fair shot on my creative things. Example: I much prefer when I get feedback for something like, "Good job making the chicken, just too spicy." Thank you family member, now I know.

I like work feedback only if I get a compliment too. Otherwise I agonize over what I'm doing wrong for days. Getting better at getting con crit from work tho.

Without feedback from others I'd probably never get anything done, seeing as I tend to be my own worst critic. I hope to be a professional writer someday so honest feedback is essential.

sn00pac

Greg
Potato Chip and Ketchup Sandwich. Best idea? Or Best Idea Ever?

I like feedback. Especially if its me; he always thinks I am the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom