• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Features the Switch is STILL missing

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
The switch is potentially nearing the end of its lifespan (although I hope not, it still feels like a fresh console) but throughout these last 6 years barely any new features have been added, software or hardware. What are some features you think were a missed opportunity?

Some of mine:
StreetPass
Home themes
Friend messaging
Handheld+docked simultaneous play

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
an overhauled eshop is probably the main thing I wanted after folders, and actually even that could go a bit further

there's thousands of games on the switch that are lost in the shuffle that having more categories can go a long way to finding what's available on it, not to mention how painfully slow it can get

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
To name just a few:

1) An eShop that doesn't lag out from the sheer stain of browsing it.

2) Built in voice chat. The app was never a good idea and no amount of Nintendo doubling down will ever make it a good idea. Heck, games like Fortnite have just opted to skip over the app and provide their own built-in voice chat system.

3) A system through which you can message friends. The Switch needs some sort of built in communication system outside of their stupid app. Heck, you won't even show up as online unless you're in game.

4) Being able to download a game while you're playing an online game. I don't get why this is an issue.

5) Retro games. Nintendo Switch Online... is not good. It's definitely no substitute for being able to purchase individual games. I feel no guilt about emulating everything Nintendo related while they continue to play hot hands with their older properties.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Custom user icons, DM options, an actual virtual console, and especially (as has been mentioned) a better eShop.

Who would've thought that in the year 2023 we'd have a digital Nintendo storefront that runs worse than the Wii Shop Channel did back in the mid 2000s.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Biggest one for me is that they never pushed the capability of the Switch when docked. The dock as it is right now is more a glorified Switch holder. I can let it pass for the original model, but there is kind of no excuse for there to not be improvements in that regard for the Switch OLED. Every analysis of the components inside the OLED I've ever seen says the console is more than capable of 4K resolution when docked, the only reason it doesn't work is because the dock doesn't have a proper output for it.

Also like, I don't necessarily care so much about 4K graphics, but when all it takes is adding one output, it feels like a missed opportunity.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Home themes and the option to manually organize games are the big things I've been wanting. More than anything else though, I want an actual activity log like the 3DS had.
This is spot on. The activity tracking and "folders" on the Switch are a shell of a feature compared to how they were on the 3DS, and even the Wii U. Themes would be a great plus as well, even if they just let you assign a screenshot from your album as the background or something.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
sortability so you can have Zeldas in one folder multiplayers in another and more backgrounds....

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The ability to play online games and download something at the same time. My ****ing Vita can manage that, so why can't the Switch?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The first one that came to my mind when reading the title is the lack of StreetPass. I would take my Switch out with me much more frequently if that feature was brought over from the DS.

Reading through the earlier responses here, I'd also love to see achievements, voice chat/messaging capabilities, an activity log, and a fix for the issue where you can't play online games and download at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom