• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite Underrated Game?

I might have to go with Mega Man X8. My favourite game in the X series aside from MAYBE X1, it has a hearty yet (mostly) fair challenge level, the best armour system in the series, the most varied level design, X8's Axl isn't just an improvement over X7 but one of the funnest characters to play as in the MM series as a whole(not just X series), and replay value through the roof, but people didn't give it a chance for the most part. They even fixed Ride Chaser stages.

Cyber Shadow is another good one that almost no one talks about; skill based platforming, kickass soundtrack and fantastic pacing, great sense of progression, etc.

Furi is a pure boss fight orientated game that has intriguing worldbuilding, a cool artstyle, great OST, and gives you an absolute adrenaline rush. Has unlockable difficulties and endings to give it replay value, and is an absolute thrill.

Plenty of other great games like Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, the Guacamelee games, etc. but these are three examples that come to mind.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Pokémon Conquest. Really good Spin-off that didn't really leave much of a mark. Mystery Dungeon games has the better story, but Conquest has much better gameplay!
I wish they'd make a sequel, but that'll never happen... Not that I've finished all there is to do after the main story of the game... That game is HUGE!

Skunk

Floof
Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light is basically only ever mentioned as being Bravely Default 0, but it's a good game in its own right and hardly anyone talks about it.

The Guardian Legend is one that doesn't get much attention, sadly. It's a great overlooked NES game that combines arcade style shoot em ups with overhead Zelda-like exploration that a BANGING ass soundtrack. It has some flaws, like how some of the ways to open a few of the corridors are arbitrary, but aside from that, it holds up very well and is one of my favourites.

A Short Hike

Easy 10/10 for me. It's such a good small open world game. Its quite short so it prioritizes quality over quantity, and the game is about an hour.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Lord of the Rings The Third Age, console version on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube. It's pretty ignored as a LOTR game, but it was pretty good. Fantastic graphics for the time. It had pretty solid RPG stat based gameplay. The gear system was pretty fun. Every time you finished a stage you could replay it on Evil Mode, which is what it sounds like. When you complete it you unlock some new items you can get in your main save.

The story was on face value pretty empty as it just followed the movie's story beat for beat with a very simlar party of characters following behind the Fellowship, but in practice, every nerd's dream. Basically just inserting your own characters into an existing adventure and going along for the ride. The game has hours of narration by Ian McKellen doing the same quality of Gandalf performance as the films. For 13 year old me it was incredible and it really does hold up today. A severely underrated game and I'm sad it's never been ported to modern systems.

Biggest flaw, to me, the game seems to have is that it seems to be missing a level. Instead of getting the expected Diversion at the Black Gate level, you're just thrown into a bizzare fight with the Eye of Sauron at the end of the Battle of Pelenor Fields. But in this case it doesn't take away from the rest of the game really.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Lord of the Rings The Third Age, console version on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube. It's pretty ignored as a LOTR game, but it was pretty good. Fantastic graphics for the time. It had pretty solid RPG stat based gameplay. The gear system was pretty fun. Every time you finished a stage you could replay it on Evil Mode, which is what it sounds like. When you complete it you unlock some new items you can get in your main save.

The story was on face value pretty empty as it just followed the movie's story beat for beat with a very simlar party of characters following behind the Fellowship, but in practice, every nerd's dream. Basically just inserting your own characters into an existing adventure and going along for the ride. The game has hours of narration by Ian McKellen doing the same quality of Gandalf performance as the films. For 13 year old me it was incredible and it really does hold up today. A severely underrated game and I'm sad it's never been ported to modern systems.

Biggest flaw, to me, the game seems to have is that it seems to be missing a level. Instead of getting the expected Diversion at the Black Gate level, you're just thrown into a bizzare fight with the Eye of Sauron at the end of the Battle of Pelenor Fields. But in this case it doesn't take away from the rest of the game really.
Sick! I know the game has come recommended to me but I haven't ever tried it. I played through...I think it was The Two Towers a few times back in the day, it was fun enough but repetitive and little in the way of freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom