• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite RPG battle system?

What is your favourite RPG battle system?

Was is Xenoblade X's real time Art hopping jazz?

Is it Tales' weird brawling set up?

Is it traditional FF turn based goodness, the risk-reward of Bravely Default or something else entirely?

Which game did you enjoy it most in?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It’s definitely not turn based, that’s for sure. Out of the ones you listed, I would put Tales at the top. I’ve only played Abyss, but still, I had a lot of fun with it. I have yet to play the game so I can really only speculate based on the gameplay I’ve watched, but Ys 8 looks the most appealing to me; real time dynamic action that is fully controlled by the player, with party members to fight alongside you and you can strategically switch between them as needed. That sounds right up my alley.

Dan

Mines the good ol fashion spreadsheet format with a weird nonsensical gimmick thrown on top . I just loved crunching the numbers, but also having some weird mechanic lumbered on that's weird and confusing and takes a while to get used to, but hey, it makes it all so unique!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
FF15's system is best. None of this turn based stuff. I like to be in control of the action and for the character to respond immediately when I press a button.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I mostly prefer the combat from Secret of Mana, except when I can't move because I'm being targeted by a sleep spell... or any spell for that matter.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Undertale was a pretty interesting take on the RPG combat formula. Honestly I'm not huge on most turn-based RPG combat systems and I've never been big on "bullet hell" games, but sort of combining the two concepts worked pretty well.

Tabletop RPGs often have pretty interesting combat because you're not limited by what's been programmed into a game and can come up with ways to swing the outcome of a battle or avoid the conflict altogether by simply being creative enough.

Most MMORPGs I've played have had pretty miserable combat, with the exception being higher difficulty raids.

I have some fond memories of more traditional turn-based RPGs, but I don't think it's an especially interesting system. I generally view them more as a hindrance towards experiencing the story than actual game-play. Games like Pokemon do a good job of making the player enjoy grinding and give a reason to keep playing after completion by providing a pretty well-tuned pvp system. Earthbound's combat is mechanically pretty dull, but the humor of the game both inside and outside of battles makes up for it.

Tactical turn-based RPGs like Fire Emblem have pretty interesting gameplay, but I haven't played one in well over a decade.

Real-time top-down RPGs are kind of fun, but the experience is bound to eventually become kind of same-y after a while.

I've never been huge on open-world sandbox RPGs because they remind me that I have agency over my life and make me feel guilty for spending time playing video games, as a result.

Mido

Version 1
I initially recalled this question as familiar, and upon further discovery it seems you made the previous thread as well! :D As such, I've found my old response, all three of which I still hold high as good battle systems.

I suppose there are three battle systems of RPG variety that have appealed to me:

Xenoblade Chronicles: The real-time combat of this game is a breath of fresh air, and sort of reminds me of how WoW operates, especially in regards to arte selection. The combat allows for the game pace to be relatively seamless (with the unfortunate exception of encountering a hoss of an enemy and being forced to flee)! It also forces the player to think on the fly, leaving the room for error much narrower.

Tales of Vesperia: The Tales games' semi turn-based combat is also somewhat refreshing. The pace does break, but there is a ton of movement involved in the combat, which occurs in real time although the movements are somewhat limited. I liked that this title in particular allowed for more free movement, which is especially useful in evasion. I did not like the Limit Break concept as much in this game. It was not necessarily bad, and it was useful, but I preferred the combination attacks from Tales of Symphonia since they paved the way for large and spectacular damage (not to mention the attacks looked cool)!

Legend of Dragoon: The PS1 title was an interesting game, and also very long. I never quite finished it since I never actually owned the game myself, but the combat was very interesting. It is turn-based, but inflicting attacks involved pressing buttons at the right time to inflict combinations, or what the game calls "additions." There were more traditional abilities as well, but the addition system added a layer of skill required to fight effectively in light of the traditional turn-based action.

Thinking about the last of these three in particular, I can always appreciate when turn-based combat shakes up the formula with methods like the aforementioned "additions." I think I would like to add one more RPG to the list (unfortunately I haven't played many other RPGs these days).

Ever Oasis: I'm cheating a bit with this one as it is more action-adventure with its combat, I'm including it due to its RPG-esque party system. The combat is dynamic in nature and ordinary attacks operate very similarly to how Warriors games have combos. The character abilities operate within the same framework. Come to think of it, the overall structure of the adventuring in this game reminds me a ton of Mysticaal Ninja: Starring Goemon for the N64. I should really get back to this game.

FF15's system is best. None of this turn based stuff. I like to be in control of the action and for the character to respond immediately when I press a button.

While I haven't played XV, the combat looked awesome from what I've seen in videos. Very dynamic, it seemed!

I initially recalled this question as familiar, and upon further discovery it seems you made the previous thread as well! :D As such, I've found my old response, all three of which I still hold high as good battle systems.

Thinking about the last of these three in particular, I can always appreciate when turn-based combat shakes up the formula with methods like the aforementioned "additions." I think I would like to add one more RPG to the list (unfortunately I haven't played many other RPGs these days).

Ever Oasis: I'm cheating a bit with this one as it is more action-adventure with its combat, I'm including it due to its RPG-esque party system. The combat is dynamic in nature and ordinary attacks operate very similarly to how Warriors games have combos. The character abilities operate within the same framework. Come to think of it, the overall structure of the adventuring in this game reminds me a ton of Mysticaal Ninja: Starring Goemon for the N64. I should really get back to this game.

While I haven't played XV, the combat looked awesome from what I've seen in videos. Very dynamic, it seemed!

I knew it sounded familiar when I made it but didnt see it on the page.

Mido

Version 1
I knew it sounded familiar when I made it but didnt see it on the page.

Ah, I see! Half the reason it came to mind was because I remembered raving about Xenoblade at some point. Granted your old one was from 2016, so a nice update is always in season (also makes me realize how many RPGs I've missed in the span of time since then that have shaken up the usual gameplay formula. :eek: )!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Real Time Pause and Play as introduced by Baldur's Gate

If your combat system is going to be at all tactical, then there needs to be a pause function. Players simply cannot micromanage the UI fast enough to input commands. Pillars of Eternity implemented a slow down function that would give the player more time to act without having to pause out right. It's reasonable to suggest that combat just be strictly turn based, but it really does change the nature of play and the combat entirely, especially the pace. RTPnP strikes a healthy balance and makes the most realistic sense over the more abstract nature of pure turn based play. Obviously, combatants aren't going to respectfully wait around while their opponents take action.

The biggest factor in designing an RPG battle system is what to do with companions. Are they strictly AI controlled with maybe a few general behaviors the player can set for them, or does the player have complete control over their actions? Can the player set up automatic routines for companions to follow under specified conditions just to relieve players of some unnecessary micromanaging? I for one question the point of having the computer play against itself by giving full control of companions over to it. This might make sense from a story or scenario stand point if you want to convey the impression that the player is only his character and his companions have some semblance of autonomy not just as functions in combat but as living characters. Dragon's Dogma, for instance, has a robust AI program to govern companion behavior and gives players no direct control over them. But the autonomy of the Arisen's "pawns" ties into the themes of the story. The biggest issue with giving companion control to the computer is that the AI must be robust enough so that companions don't become a burden to the player. No one likes it when companions won't heal or buff appropriately or will rush head long into danger, even over discovered traps (*glares at Neverwinter Nights 2*)

Another peeve of mine is when any automatic routines players can set up for companions to follow are tied to gameplay. Final Fantasy XII, for instance, made a big deal about its "gambit" system, which had to be unlocked during character progression and purchased at shops. Dragon Age Origins made players unlock more slots for companion AI triggers by investing in the "tactics" skill. In my opinion this is a convenience feature that should have no ties to gameplay. It doesn't even make sense to tie custom AI behaviors to gameplay. FFXII's director tried to excuse it by stating that he was trying to convey the sense that XII took place under an authoritarian regime where rules and regulations were such a burden apparently a small group of outlaws aren't even permitted to use a potion to heal themselves without purchasing the appropriate gambit.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
MOTHER 3 b/c the party's health are on slots that take time to go down, so if someone is mortally wounded, you can quickly heal them before their health actually reaches zero; plus how most enemies have a heartbeat which you can attack them in a combo if you press A in sync w/ their heart beat [you'd have to know what their heartbeat is though], the music can also help you combo attack them on the beat of the music as well

Real time battling is always best. In my opinion it's better than any form of turn based combat. As an example. Zelda as an IP is not an RPG but it would never have taken off if it was turn based combat.

Though in saying this, some developers refuse to move away from turn based combat and try to innovate it. I think the best of these is what I call semi turn based combat. Games like Chronotrigger, Xenoblade Chronicles (all 3 games), World of Warcraft and others. Where you're still put into special battle sequences but you your attacks are based of different forms of cooldowns, not on strict turns.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
When it comes to turn-based combat I like ones that do something extra other then just wait till you can attack again.

Like timed attacks in the Mario rpgs. They are rather fun and keep me more on my toes then hope the crit rng doesn't kill me.

The cards from Baiten Kaitos is fun to just use the numbers to get fun boosts, combos to get odd effects or to create new cards and to keep me wondering what i can do with my deck to get my best solutions in a fight.

I also like Chrono trigger for the fact it supplies you with dual tech and triple tech. Also attacs that effect certain areas. Making it possible to stratgize more then acting as soon as you can with each character as their action bar fills.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I'm not a fan at all of turn based. The only reason D&D (pen and paper version) is an exception is because it is almost the perfect game without it (depending on your friends, the DM, and the food)

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Probably Fire Emblem or Pokemon. I really like the class system that determines what units are best for each enemy in Fire Emblem. Different abilities and weapons really make each unit unique. I also have never lost a unit in Fire Emblem without feeling like it was my own fault. If anyone ever dies, its usually because I didn't think my strategy through and made a careless mistake. It was never the game being unfair.

As for Pokemon, I'm not usually the biggest fan of turn-based RPGs like Pokemon. Games like Final Fantasy or Earthbound usually bore me. But for some reason I actually really enjoy Pokemon. I think it's because I like the designs of Pokemon and the endless range of Pokemon you can catch and evolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom